• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The best bras and underwear for skiing

MissySki

Angel Diva
I wonder if it also matters what type of regular bras and panties people wear as to whether you would want to wear the same for such a physical and sometimes sweaty activity. For example, my everyday bras of choice have underwire for the most part, not something I’d find comfortable for skiing or any exercise because if things move around too much it’s just not a fun time. Then panties are usually like a cheeky variety that might be cotton and have lacy trims etc. Again, not materials that are comfortable for sweaty movement, and probably prone to wedgies if there is a lot of athletic movement. So I’m thinking the baseline is probably different for everyone depending what your everyday wear is, but perhaps I’m wrong and others are skiing around in a bunch of fancy underthings and I need to up my game! Lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I

As for sports bras, I've been blessed with the best boobs for skiing. No boobs! I buy the super cheap danskin sports bras that come in 2 packs at Walmart. I think they're supposed to be for low to medium impact. Since they're not very supportive, they're almost easy to take off when you're sweaty. I layer a Nike compression shirt from the boys department over that, stick a helmet on my head, and really could pass for a boy in the 7th grade.

You sound like me. I've been mistaken for a kid a few times out on the hill. lol

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UA used to make an amazing cami with a good built in bra. It’s a thicker material, but not compression to the point I can’t breathe. I love wearing it on colder days. For bras, I’m happy with a traditional clasp sports bra, or a zip front sports bra, unless of course the zipper pops open, which has occurred more than once. The level of uncomfortableness with a front zipper wardrobe malfunction under oodles of layers is a solid 10 of 10, just so ya know. The over the head bras are so frustrating getting on and off for me, I just can’t deal and feel like I’m going to throw my arm out of socket sometimes. I only sport a merino wool thong from Icebreaker or Smartwool and wear a merino wool Capri legging over that. I’d like to add merino boy shorts to my ski wardrobe of unmentionables, but not sure if I’d adapt so well.

newboots

Angel Diva
Now that I've retired, I've almost completely stopped wearing a bra. I really like camisoles with shelf bras, or snug running tank tops. I've worn sports bras and regular bras skiing, but I don't need the support of a sports bra (and don't like to sweat like mad on a regular bra).

Really, a snug baselayer will probably be enough for me.

I love retirement.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finally found sports bras that fasten like regular ones. Usually for my small size they're the pull on/off type and I hate that. Now I need to petition Jockey to make them in some plain colors and I'd wear them for everyday, too.

Can you share a link or style name? I'm also small and have only ever had pull on sports bras. When I pulled my shoulder last year I couldn't wear them at all!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Can you share a link or style name? I'm also small and have only ever had pull on sports bras. When I pulled my shoulder last year I couldn't wear them at all!
Sure, it's these:

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-women-activewear-multiway-moulded-cup-sports-bra

The nude looks like it would be light enough to not show beneath a white shirt, but it does. Maybe it’s the stripes. The band doesn’t seem hugely stretchy - I wear a 34B or a 36A regular bra and a medium in these, just because it's easier to hook them than it is the small, but I’m already hooking it in the tightest set.

Oh, and the band rolls just a tiny, tiny bit, but I can live with it to not have it be an over the head type.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To add to the Jockey style recommend by @Jenny, the C9 Power Shape sports bras, found at Target, are pretty good. They’re made by Champion and if you don’t mind foam cups, worth picking up. What I like most is the cups don’t sneak out after washing. Champion brand bras with traditional back closures can sometimes be found at Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods. Finally, take a look at the bras from Duluth Trading Company. They’ve made a sports bra with the traditional closure that’s actually comfortable.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just ordered two more at gearx.com in Burlington , VT at 29.99 each.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Panache brand sports bras for skiing and all my other fitness activities. Both wired and unwired work for me. Traditional back closures so no pulling over head. I have a small back and boobs so size 28F UK fits perfectly. Expensive but last a very long time with hand washing. Undies are Patagonia, ExOfficio, or Kuhl or whatever REI sells.

newboots

Angel Diva
I love my Boody undies for everyday and for sweaty activities. They're made of bamboo and breathe. The main plus for me is the shape of the undies - no wedgie, no riding up. They fit like a [Hestra] glove.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uh oh.. gotta admit to having some Icebreaker Sprite hot pants and bras that I only wear skiing as they live with my ski stuff. Really comfy.

I have the same icebreaker pants and bras - I'm fully sold on merino for everything except the outermost waterproof layers for skiing now :smile: so comfortable in all temperatures!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll have to look at Duluth - I like the other stuff I’ve gotten there. .....
Speaking of Duluth, I like to ski with their Buck Naked hipster underwear. The waffle texture fabric is breathable and comfortable. (Some colors and styles on sale right now for $9.)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Speaking of Duluth, I like to ski with their Buck Naked hipster underwear. The waffle texture fabric is breathable and comfortable. (Some colors and styles on sale right now for $9.)
Thanks for the heads up - I think that's what I have a pair of and I like them, too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I ordered a Smartwool sports bra yesterday on STP for ~$22 after discounts, figured it was too good to pass up as I’ve definitely been wanting to try one. Excited to give it a try!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly