• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First Indoor Ski Slope in America Set to Open This Fall

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm excited it's finally opening. For so long it seemed like that whole place might never get open, what with all the ups and downs and changes in ownership. May have to give it some time and hope the crowds die down a bit, but I'd love to check it out at some point. Will be nice to have this within a day's drive for the off-season.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
They’ve been talking about this thing since I lived in NYC! I would have 100% been there on Tuesday nights for the skiing beer league, or whatever the equivalent ends up being.

I’ll probably still check it out when I’m back east, honestly... will be pretty novel to be able to make indoor turns in August (though thinking about their summer electricity bill does give me some complicated feelings).

marzNC

Angel Diva
What is now called American Dream isn't quite what was envisioned by the original developer when the project was called Xanadu. Triple Five got interested in taking over the project in 2011, with some construction started in 2014. But didn't get full financing and other agreements in place until 2017. As is common with huge construction projects, there have been ongoing delays that have pushed back the actual opening date. We'll see if the latest target date announced in the spring can hold.

American Dream Mall Opening Date Delayed—Again - March 2019
" . . .
American Dream, formerly known as Xanadu, was first pitched 16 years ago and has plenty of skeptics in the state as it has been through numerous missed openings, three developers, five governors and a major retail contraction.

“We’ve been told this story a gazillion times,” Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, who criticized the project last year and the up to $390 million in tax breaks offered to the developer by the state on Twitter, previously told Commercial Observer. “I gloss over these dates when they’re projected to open.”

While another missed deadline might be more ammunition for non-believers of American Dream, Newmark Knight Frank’s mall guru Thomas Dobrowski, who’s not involved in the project, said it’s par for the course with malls of this size.

“Pushing back opening dates is not uncommon for these types of project,” said Dobrowski, who handles regional investment mall sales at NKF. “Usually it’s getting all the pieces of the puzzle together so that you have a very solid opening where the property is 100 percent complete. You only get one chance to have a grand opening.”

Triple Five, the team behind the Mall of America and West Edmonton Mall, took over the project in 2011, renamed it the American Dream Mall and restarted construction in 2014."

American Dream now slated for fall opening, Triple Five says - May 2019
". . . The complex will house iconic retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue and the only New Jersey location of Barneys New York, along with a host of other luxury brands.

Other plans call for a vast array of dining and programmed public spaces that will appeal to social media users, Triple Five said. Meantime, the firm is planning 18 acres of entertainment, including North America’s largest fully enclosed indoor DreamWorks Water Park and Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park, along with a 16-story Big Snow Indoor Ski & Snow Park and a host of other operators.

The nonprofit New Jersey Hall of Fame will also open its permanent home within the property, which sits at the nexus of the New Jersey Turnpike, Route 3 and Route 120. Triple Five and its tenants are banking on their ability to attract visitors from the surrounding 21 million residents and nearly 63 million domestic and international tourists that arrive annually.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm more interested in the relatively new proposal for an indoor slope resort in the DC area. After seeing the recent thread by @Ski Sine Fine, I learned that Snow World USA is based in McLean, VA and is drawing on 20 years of experience of Snow World in the Netherlands. The plan being spearheaded by the U.S. partner, Active-X, is create a multi-purpose recreation and cultural center, not a shopping experience.

Huge indoor skiing proposed for Fairfax County (Northern VA/DC metro)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Coca-Cola is partnering with Triple Five in a big way for American Dream in NJ. Starting to feel like the core elements will be open before the 2019 holiday shopping season starts. Used to mean late November, but these days seems to be right after Halloween. This article includes a few photos of the exterior of BIG Snow. It's the sloped building with stripes.

American Dream, Coca-Cola announce 10-year partnership, includes 800-person dining center - June 2019

marzNC

Angel Diva
The exterior walls of Big SNOW aren't striped anymore. They have been painted white for now.

9/6/19, North Jersey
Eyesore no more: American Dream's ski slope gets much-anticipated face-lift

The local public has the opportunity to suggest designs for murals that will be added by Jason Botkin of Enmasse in the next year. The series of workshops in northern NJ and NYC started in late August.

8/21/19, North Jersey
Hate that awful ski slope paint job on American Dream? You can pick what replaces it

MissySki

Angel Diva
When is it opening again? I’m getting antsy to ski anything right now, or rather far past antsy.. lol

I saw October 25th online, not sure if that’s right. Too bad it wasn’t now!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When is it opening again? I’m getting antsy to ski anything right now, or rather far past antsy.. lol

I saw October 25th online, not sure if that’s right. Too bad it wasn’t now!

I haven't seen any updates to the 10/25 date yet so not sure. I'm assuming that's still the target date unless they announce otherwise?

That's also the date posted on the mall's website currently: https://www.americandream.com/

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa, my dad still lives in NJ so will have to take a trip down to check it out when it opens. Agree that if it's any good (and even probably if it is not) it will be crazy busy though.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just passed this massive place yesterday along the NJ Turnpike. I couldn’t believe the size of it. I’m definitely going to try to get there in December. So exciting!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven't seen any updates to the 10/25 date yet so not sure. I'm assuming that's still the target date unless they announce otherwise?

That's also the date posted on the mall's website currently: https://www.americandream.com/

Won’t likely go when it opens then since regular skiing will be starting up around then. Definitely next off season I’d like to try it though! Will probably be good to let the novelty wear off anyway, I assume it’ll be really crowded to start.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Should be relatively easy to limit the number of people on the slope at Big SNOW during a given time period. Pretty sure that's done at the indoor slopes in Europe. But during the time when there are lots of beginners, could be hard to find a clear path. Hopefully the pricing will encourage never-evers to take a lesson. Pretty sure there will be a package that not only includes rental gear, but also rental outerwear.

I didn't realize that so many ski areas were limiting the number of day tickets back in the 1990s, long before cell phones were common. Whitetail near DC started limiting the numbers in the second season, 1992-93. Not sure when the policy changed. Deer Valley still has a limit for day tickets.

Feb 1996, NY Times
SKIING;So Many Skiers, So Few Slopes
" . . .
Mountain resorts with a limited skier reservation policy include Loon Mountain, N.H.; Snow Summit, Calif.; Sundance, Utah, and Deer Valley, Utah.

Waterville Valley, N.H., also has limits, but since enlarging the resort within the last five years, Waterville has sold out only once, and that was for bad weather.

Other areas limit capacity on a first-come, first-serve basis. They include Wachusett, Mass.; Nashoba Valley, Mass. (which gets Wachusett's overflow); Alta, Utah, and Northstar-at-Tahoe, Calif.

They all attempt, with varying degrees of success, to warn skiers about a shutdown on local radio stations, and on highway signs. But that doesn't always patch frayed nerves.
. . ."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Should be relatively easy to limit the number of people on the slope at Big SNOW during a given time period. Pretty sure that's done at the indoor slopes in Europe. But during the time when there are lots of beginners, could be hard to find a clear path. Hopefully the pricing will encourage never-evers to take a lesson. Pretty sure there will be a package that not only includes rental gear, but also rental outerwear.

I didn't realize that so many ski areas were limiting the number of day tickets back in the 1990s, long before cell phones were common. Whitetail near DC started limiting the numbers in the second season, 1992-93. Not sure when the policy changed. Deer Valley still has a limit for day tickets.

Feb 1996, NY Times
SKIING;So Many Skiers, So Few Slopes
" . . .
Mountain resorts with a limited skier reservation policy include Loon Mountain, N.H.; Snow Summit, Calif.; Sundance, Utah, and Deer Valley, Utah.

Waterville Valley, N.H., also has limits, but since enlarging the resort within the last five years, Waterville has sold out only once, and that was for bad weather.

Other areas limit capacity on a first-come, first-serve basis. They include Wachusett, Mass.; Nashoba Valley, Mass. (which gets Wachusett's overflow); Alta, Utah, and Northstar-at-Tahoe, Calif.

They all attempt, with varying degrees of success, to warn skiers about a shutdown on local radio stations, and on highway signs. But that doesn't always patch frayed nerves.
. . ."

Yes, this is great for beginners! I’m thinking if I can’t convince Chris to try skiing this season (fingers crossed since we’ll be in an on mountain condo all season! Lol) then this could maybe be a less intimidating option for a never ever to try it out versus being on an actual mountain in the middle of nowhere..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Getting newbies interested in trying skiing or snowboarding is the primary intent behind Big SNOW. Snow Operating is also running Mountain Creek these days. The co-founders of Snow Operating had been in charge of Mountain Creek before they left to get into the ski school consulting business with Terrain Based Learning (TM) and other process evaluation help. The following articles came out when American Dream was supposed to open in Spring 2019.

June 2018, NJ Family
The First Indoor Snow Park in North America Is Coming to NJ. Yes, Really!
" . . .
The center will offer both private and group lessons in skiing and snowboarding for all ages, plus full- and half-day camps for kids who want to hit the powder while their parents shop and explore all American Dream has to offer. Lessons will be heavily influenced by SNOW Operating’s signature Terrain Based Learning method, which Reynolds [VP of marketing and sales for SNOW Operating] says, “is a revolutionary new way to teach people how to ski or snowboard. It utilizes shaped snow features and a highly designed process, that makes learning easier by using the features to naturally control the guests speed, assist with turning and allow for greater movement and repetition…those guests who have their first experience through the Terrain Based Learning method are much more likely to return for a second visit than those who do not.”

Anyone who signs up for lessons will also get all they need to suit up from clothing to equipment. This space isn’t just for beginners, though. “We’ll have plenty of opportunities for those who already know how to ski or ride to get access to our snow, especially during the warmer months when we’ll be the only option for them to get on snow,” says Reynolds. “We plan to keep one half of the main slope surface open for general skiing and snowboarding and also to offer some freestyle terrain park features for guests to practice their park skills on in the traditional off-season months.”
. . ."

July 2018, Powder Magazine
New Jersey to Debut Massive Indoor Skiing Facility
" . . .
The group behind the Mall of America will soon open North America’s first true indoor ski hill
“I think we are going to get a mix of clientele. We plan to have a lot of existing skiers and snowboarders who want to come for the novelty of it, especially during the summer when there aren’t any other opportunities to get on snow,” says Reynolds.

However, attracting current skiers and riders is not Big SNOW America’s primary focus.

“Our goal is to introduce people who might not make it to the mountains otherwise to the fun of skiing and snowboarding. We want to increase participation in the sport locally and globally,” says Reynolds. “We love the sport. We love the industry and we want to see it continue to grow and flourish. We think Big SNOW America will hold a big role in doing so.”

Since Big SNOW America anticipates most guests to be new to the sport, the facility will feature a Terrain Based Learning Program Opens a New Window. ski school. Many ski instructors at nearby Mountain Creek Resort Opens a New Window. , which operates their ski school as a Terrain Based Learning center, plan to work at Big SNOW America during the off-season.

“We want everyone to feel comfortable and excited about skiing,” says Reynolds.

Since newcomers will learn via the Terrain Based Learning Program style, which uses a specifically shaped slope to promote quick and safe learning, Reynolds says that guests will then be encouraged to take their skiing and riding to mountains that boast the same program in the winter. Currently, 27 resorts worldwide, including mountains like Killington, Aspen, and Whistler, use Terrain Based Learning within their ski schools."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Big SNOW at American Dream is hiring as fast as they can in preparation for the Dec. 5 opening. The GM and "slopes manager" were hired a few weeks ago. Jim Haas has a lot of relevant experience.

There will be two magic carpets, a poma, and a fixed-grip quad. The vertical is 160 feet and the length of the slope is 1000 ft. Sounds like someone who has their own gear and warm clothes will have the option of a 2-hr ticket for $35 or 4-hr for $50. The packages that include everything (gear, outer wear) and a lesson will start at $50.

SAM articles about Big SNOW in NJ (10/11/19, 9/27/19)
BIG SNOW INDOOR SKI AREA GRAND OPENING DEC. 5

NEW INDOOR SKI AREA, BIG SNOW, NAMES HAAS GM
". . .
Haas started his career with Snowshoe Mountain, where he held several management positions in risk, human resources, and resort services. He continued to work with Intrawest both internationally and domestically, first serving as GM of the indoor center Madrid Snowzone in Spain and then as VP of special projects for Intrawest’s commercial arm in Colorado.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turns out that the 10/25 opening is just for a couple of the areas. American Dream won't have everything open until some time next spring, with retail and food targeted for March. All that's opening in 2019 are the "theme park" sections like the roller coasters, water park, and Big SNOW. So no Christmas shopping at fancy department stores until next fall.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Turns out that the 10/25 opening is just for a couple of the areas. American Dream won't have everything open until some time next spring, with retail and food targeted for March. All that's opening in 2019 are the "theme park" sections like the roller coasters, water park, and Big SNOW. So no Christmas shopping at fancy department stores until next fall.

December 5th for Big Snow!

The 160-foot slope is topped with a 26-degree incline, roughly equivalent to an intermediate ski run, Reynolds said. The graduated slope drops to about 10 degrees before leveling out at the bottom.

More than just a basic slope, the hill will feature banked turns on one side to mellow the initial grade for less experienced riders, a small terrain park, and features associated with SNOW Operating’s Terrain Based Learning system, Reynolds said.

Pricing is $35 for 2 hrs. or $50 for 4 hrs.. Slope will be limited to 500 people at a time and advanced sign-ups online are recommended and offered at a discount.

They're currently laying down snow...

1571237881628.png

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...indoor-ski-slope-to-open-december/3943481002/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly