• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah 2019-20: travel planning, deals, snow conditions

marzNC

Angel Diva
Won't be too much longer before OpenSnow starts their snow reports for Utah. Since I'm going to SLC mid-season as well as Alta in April, I'll be watching Utah weather even more than usual. Finished up travel planning in terms of dates and lodging a month ago. All that's left is to get plane tickets during the annual fall sale by Southwest.

For those who haven't skied in Utah, some terminology:

LCC - Little Cottonwood Canyon, Alta at the end, Snowbird a mile closer to SLC
BCC - Big Cottonwood Canyon, Brighton at the end of the road, Solitude a couple miles closer to SLC
Parley's Canyon - Park City, Deer Valley
Ogden Valley - Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Whisper Ridge (snowcat, heli), Nordic Valley

UTA- Utah Transit Authority for ski bus that runs to LCC, BCC, Ogden Valley
UTA TRAX - light rail around SLC, has stop at airport
SuperPass - multi-resort pass for LCC/BCC that includes UTA transit pass, an option for trips 4-7 days

Park City and Snowbasin are on the Epic Pass.
Ikon and MCP include Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton. Can get a few days at Deer Valley with Ikon.

If you missed last season's thread and are curious what we discussed:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-travel-planning-snow-conditions-deals.23238/

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Me too...already booked for the season at Deer Valley! I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles and have switched from flying SW to Delta as I can depart from Burbank Airport vs LAX and Delta has far more direct flights to Salt Lake City. Even though they charge for baggage, it’s much more convenient, transportation to airport is less and the price difference is minimal. I’m a happier traveler.

Last edited:

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Me too...already booked for the season at Deer Valley! I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles and have switched from flying SW to Delta as I can depart from Burbank Airport vs LAX and Delta has far more direct flights to Salt Lake City. Even though they charge for baggage, it’s much more convenient, transportation to airport is less and the price difference is minimal. I’m a happier traveler.
I got a call yesterday from Hilton for one of those time-share talks. I’ve done one before so I know the drill. I even told the woman that I have absolutely zero interest and she said Do it anyway. So, after finding out they have a place in Park City, I took the bait. I have Ikon so I have to ski Deer Valley, but now I have to figure out when to go coordinating lodging and mikes on Delta. It’s for 3 nights/4 days. I’ll probably be alone. When are you going? I’ve never been.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I’ll be skiing December 6-9, January 21-24, February 25-28 and March 17-19. When will you be there?

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I’ll be skiing December 6-9, January 21-24, February 25-28 and March 17-19. When will you be there?[/
I don’t know yet, but I’m thinking of December, January, or April, which might be tough because of the low elevation. I’ve skied Alta in April, but I think they get more snow in April?
What’s DV like

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I don’t know yet, but I’m thinking of December, January, or April, which might be tough because of the low elevation. I’ve skied Alta in April, but I think they get more snow in April?
What’s DV like in December. ?

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
You never know what the snow conditions are going to be. I am never too concerned about it with Deer Valley because they make their own snow and it’s always adequate. Last year was heaven. Per my ski instructor January is usually optimum. You’re correct about Alta..have not skied there yet but may if I purchase Deer Valley Season Pass.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I got a call yesterday from Hilton for one of those time-share talks. I’ve done one before so I know the drill. I even told the woman that I have absolutely zero interest and she said Do it anyway. So, after finding out they have a place in Park City, I took the bait. I have Ikon so I have to ski Deer Valley, but now I have to figure out when to go coordinating lodging and mikes on Delta. It’s for 3 nights/4 days. I’ll probably be alone. When are you going? I’ve never been.
Something to consider in January is The Sundance Festival January 23 - February 2. Great time to ski because the slopes are less crowded but room rates jump up substantially.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What’s DV like in December. ?
April is too late for DV. Just too low and often only get half the amount of snow as falls in LCC. There is a reason that Park City and DV close the first week of April while Alta and Snowbird often have plenty of snow even last half of April and into June.

From a snow conditions standpoint, January is the best choice. Be a good warm up for Taos.

For a solo trip, you could have plenty of fun at DV doing the free mountain tour more than once. There are different ability levels for tours. Getting between the different peaks is a bit confusing. Part of the contrast between Alta and DV is that there are mountain hosts all over the place at DV. All very friendly and knowledgeable. Plus the on-mountain food is worth the high price.

If you want to demo skis, Rossi has a free demo hut on the mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely worth a small price difference for a non-stop flight. Haven't quite got there for flying to SLC because I like the flexibility of being able to change dates if needed on Southwest, but I'm paying attention to the non-stop options for future reference. One reason I decided to take my daughter to Alta Lodge for a quick first trip in the spring meeting up with friends when she was 7 was that my husband found a Delta non-stop flight for a decent price. He didn't realize it would become a habit. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Powder Mountain is having a sale in early Sept that started on Labor Day. 25% off anytime day vouchers with the "5 Pack" and 40% off specific day tickets when bought online. The 5-pack can be shared. PowMow limits the number of season passes and the number of day tickets. One of these days I want to ski there in good snow. Been twice but haven't been lucky yet.

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 7.17.27 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbasin is changing up a few things for 2019-20. The GM posted an update with 100 days to go until opening day. Interesting to see that Snowbasin is adding parking and increasing shuttle service from the outer parking lots.

Somewhere I read that Snowbasin hoped being a partner on Epic would increase the number of travelers midweek. Since Epic is only good at Park City and Snowbasin, in comparison to Ikon providing access to five resorts close to SLC, it could make a difference.

https://www.snowbasin.com/blog/100-days-out-letter-from-davy-ratchford
" . . .
  • Last summer, significant resources were invested to create a better intermediate experience off the John Paul lift with the widening of Mt. Ogden Bowl Road. This improved experience was exceptionally well received by guests and opened up more skiing and riding to that area of the mountain for many. This fall we will be adding snowmaking to that area to accelerate early season opening of the John Paul lift.
  • With our continued effort to improve Bear Hollow and grow the Family Zone, we plan to create a new gladed tree skiing area specifically made for families and kids as well as add another intermediate run off of Wildcat Express.
  • We will be increasing the parking capacity by 12% through multiple initiatives that include better snow removal plans and overflow parking with increased shuttle service.
  • In addition, we are pleased to welcome NASTAR back to the resort. It is the largest public grassroots ski racing program in the world. NASTAR brings greater awareness to the sport motivating participants of all ages to get involved in ski racing. The NASTAR course will be on Showboat and operating Friday, Saturday and Sundays throughout the season starting December 13, weather dependent. Season passes will be available for the course soon or guests can enjoy it day of.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Opening dates for LCC/BCC are still not quite set yet. Snowbird is going to wait until Black Friday to open. Of course, if there are early snowstorms, Snowbird could change the date if they have enough staff around.

Nov. 23: Alta
Nov. 23: Solitude
Nov. 29: Snowbird
TBD: Brighton

Park City expects to open on Nov. 22.

Per usual, Deer Valley won't open until the first weekend of December, which means Dec. 7, 2019.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta, Solitude, and Park City have started snowmaking given the unusually cold temps forecasted for the the next week.

All the ski resorts around SLC are getting at least a few inches of snow from the current storm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Evan is starting to have work to do reporting on Utah weather. Snowing all over today but not going to last long. Nothing much expected besides unseasonably cold temps the next week or so.

OpenSnow for Utah on 10/29/19
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 4.18.59 PM.png

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowbasin got 8" inches out of this storm and it's COLD! The key is it needs to stay cold so the base doesn't melt.

Also, saw that Brighton has a "surprise" coming later this week. I'm thinking they're going to open this weekend! Not sure I want to ski the WROD with the rest of the Wasatch, but still, great news!

Snowbasin says the 27th, but if this keeps up, I could see the WROD opening up a week earlier. I'm avoiding that nonsense and heading to Targhee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly