• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lifts We Hate

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Any you can think of?

I hate ski lifts that have a loading conveyor. Each of Okemo's two lower lifts has one, and Sugarbush has one, too. You step onto a conveyor belt that moves you forward while the lift comes around to scoop you up from behind. I find it particularly disorienting.

Here's a video:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Long Haul at Montage that moves at a snail pace over a great distance. I generally avoid it at all costs.

There was also one at Snowmass my first time there, that I believe is gone now, that was just the two seats around a center pole. Yikes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Drag lifts - pomas, tbars, button lifts - BTW they're all over Europe (especially at the smaller resorts that haven't upgraded) as well as "huge" resorts such as Les Portes du Soleil. They are very very long and twisty turny and avoid at all costs. Rode one at Serre Chevalier that was 20 minutes long and I fell almost at the top and had to ski down and ride that damn thing up again.
Many conveyor belt types at the larger resorts. Feel like I'm going to fall backward but so far have managed not to.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also - Lake Louise had a very scary one that takes you to the top of the back bowls. Did not like that one either.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Also - Lake Louise had a very scary one that takes you to the top of the back bowls. Did not like that one either.

Ah yes, the platter lift to the top. I'm small and truly felt like I was going to be lifted off the ground. We encountered some horrible pomas and t bars at 4 Vallées in Switzerland this year. (Avoided that part of the terrain for the rest of our stay.)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Drag lifts - pomas, tbars, button lifts - BTW they're all over Europe (especially at the smaller resorts that haven't upgraded) as well as "huge" resorts such as Les Portes du Soleil. They are very very long and twisty turny and avoid at all costs. Rode one at Serre Chevalier that was 20 minutes long and I fell almost at the top and had to ski down and ride that damn thing up again.
Many conveyor belt types at the larger resorts. Feel like I'm going to fall backward but so far have managed not to.

Oh, I actually like pomas. They kinda stress me out b/c I've only used them a couple times but that's half the excitement! Will I wipe out?! We'll find out!

newboots

Angel Diva
I learned to ski at a mountain with a conveyor on the main lift (Berkshire East), so it doesn’t bother me at all. The T-bar and J-bar lifts are much more adventurous, and can be really challenging. Plus no rest before skiing down again!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Poma is actually the brand...There are many chair lifts here by Poma...it took me a while to get that on this site it refers only to the button drag lift.

I hate gondolas other than for the initial lift to get into the resort. Some places have them all over and as it takes me a while to get me skis on and off I would rather not do it too often.

I also hate wind on the hill.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I used those for the first time at Alta to go up the little hill to the lodge. Not my fave. I remember the old T-bars from the 70s in MN.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never seen those conveyer belt lifts! I guess they are trying to do away with that last-second scramble to get on the chair?

I remember T-bars and Pomas as a kid.

It would be cool to mention individual lifts that have something quirky about them. Like, I seem to remember a lift where the approach isn't exactly flat and I always worry I'm going to careen out of control getting to the chair. I don't remember where this is-- somewhere I skied a few times in the last 5 years... could be Wachusett or Bromley... if I encounter it again this year I will update this thread!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UGH.. I dislike the Conveyor belt lifts- they hurt my knees! Rope tows hurt my shoulders, T-bars with someone taller as partner not good.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any lift with a conveyor. I've had to step back to not shoot off the end. Thanks, breaking an ankle because the speed didn't align with where I stepped on sounds like a painful end to a season.

I'm also afraid of heights so chairs without a safety bar are not a favorite. When I'm west of NE I find myself asking to drop the bar (if there is one). I'm so used to it being there on most VT lifts I see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly