• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Womens Ski Camps Recommendation?

superprism

Diva in Training
Hi Divas!

Last year, I attended a womens ski camp at Whistler/Blackcomb and had an amazing time! It was a two day event full of skiing, encouragement, and goodie bags. All of the instructors & instructees were awesome! I am looking for recommendations for something similar, only at mountains on the Ikon pass in USA/Canada. I'm located on the west coast and normally ski at Mammoth (advance skiier looking to break into "expert" territory), but I'm looking to venture out of California.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t think it was in the list, but Taos has a weekend women’s clinic as well,and is on the IKON.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Mammoth does have a 3 day women's ski camp. If you are advanced to expert, the class will probably be very small and you will get a lot of personal attention.

I am very interested in attending a 3-5 day women's clinic next season, not necessarily at Mammoth. I will be following this thread with great interest.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It turns out that Red Mountain in BC has a few 1 or 2 day camps for women that are relatively inexpensive. The schedule isn't out for 2020 yet, but the info from last season gives an idea of what's they offer. The dates were in Jan or early Feb in 2019.

https://www.redresort.com/school/adult/camp-sessions/

I've had Red on my bucket list for a while since Spokane is within a few hours drive and Southwest flies there. They keep adding terrain and lifts. The successful OPO a few years ago that raised the capital needed to speed up major projects was fascinating.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Mammoth does have a 3 day women's ski camp. If you are advanced to expert, the class will probably be very small and you will get a lot of personal attention.

I am very interested in attending a 3-5 day women's clinic next season, not necessarily at Mammoth. I will be following this thread with great interest.
Have you considered Taos?

marzNC

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier I have read the thread but haven't investigated the actual camp.
One of the unusual aspects of a Taos Ski Week is that it's offered every week of the season, not just on selected dates. No reservation required, even for specialty camps like Women's Ski Week. For that matter, the cost of Women's Ski Week (one week per season) is the same as a regular Ski Week even though there are perks such as 5 days of free demo skis. That was a surprise in 2018 when @santacruz skier and I were signing up for a Ski Week. We just happened to be there the right week.

Some weeks there are 50 Ski Week participants and some weeks there are 150+. Once you are in your small group (1-7) on Sun or Mon morning, it doesn't make much difference how many others are also doing the 6 morning lessons. Having more people and more instructors devoted to the lesson program means that groups are more likely to form based on compatible ability and personal chemistry because it's straightforward to change groups after a lesson, or even two. Many instructors for groups from blue-black on up have 15+ years of teaching experience, if no 20+ or 25+ years. There are few of the most experienced instructors who like to teach a blue group. Can be blue with bumps or blue without bumps.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a one day course with Girls Do Ski at Revelstoke - really enjoyed it. I've not had that many lessons and mostly ski in male company, so the coaching and skiing with a group of women was a nice change of pace. I felt that I learned a lot and gained a fair bit of confidence too. They run 2 day courses on resort and also do some ski touring weekends, but seem to generally book out very quickly.

@marzNC - the courses at Red do look good, the whole ski school seems to have a good reputation and is very reasonably priced.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta Lodge has added a Women's Skills Camp to their multi-day ski camps line up for 2019-20. It's during early season with a clear focus on skills, not tactics. Dates are Dec. 12-16.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe this one has already been mentioned, but not sure.

Girls Do Ski. They do camps in Canada and Japan. Base is Revelstoke BC. Focus is off-piste skiing. Intermediate and up. They do have one camp for girls 12+, but they primarily work with women.
https://www.girlsdoski.com

Last edited:

Bookworm

Angel Diva
That just makes me want to go to BC! What a gorgeous place.
Question: what does “free ski” mean? I see it a lot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is more than one definition. There is a category of skiing that involves big mountains, very steep terrain, and freeskiing competitions as in Freeskiing World Tour. Meaning way, way off-piste and "hucking" big rocks and cliffs will be part of a run. I guess the idea is in contrast to doing tricks based on terrain park features.

https://freeskiingworldtour.com

I can point out where the freeskiing comps are held at TSV when we're there.

The other definition is less likely to show up in a search. I've been lucky enough to "free ski" with a few instructors in recent years. That simply meant they were free for a few hours and willing to take a few runs with me and my friends. Doesn't have to be a big mountain or off-piste to be quite fun. Really good during a solo ski safari.

snowflurry

Diva in Training
I'd say free ski includes the disciplines of freeride (skiing natural, off piste terrain), freestyle including moguls, half pipe, slopestyle etc. Or perhaps another way of looking at its is everything that isn't racing / skiing through gates?

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I thought it might be a little imprecise. My guess was that it was skiing “free” of the resort - way off-piste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly