• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, what do you think?

marzNC

Angel Diva
My trainer uses the TRX in almost every workout I do. He incorporates it with kettlebells, dumbbells etc. I'm amazed at the number of things one can do with the TRX.
Have you ever used the TRX with a BOSU? Have seen a few videos but haven't ever tried it. Would have to be at the gym. Not enough room at home.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My understanding is that TRX was designed by a man who was active-duty military as a way to stay in shape in cramped quarters aboard naval ships. I bought the basic strap set-up because I have a really small house and it lets me get in some good strength and core training at home. If you get the strap-anchor you could use it outside, hitched to a tree or other support, which would allow more room for bounding-type workouts.

It's a good body-weight-based system with lots of ability to adjust difficulty simply by altering your stance. Pretty much all of the exercises you can do with it can be easily done with other equipment; so, when I go to the gym I don't bother with the TRX stuff.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love TRX particularly for training for climbing, it really mimics the stabilization and core strength needed for training harder routes. I have a friend who travels with her straps, but she's way more hardcore than I am.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yesterday was my second TRX class, and it kicked my butt (well really abs) way more than last week! This week was way more of a HIIT setup, and I’m not a fan of HIIT but alas I survived. We worked in teams of 2 where we took turns doing exercises on the bands while the other person did a floor exercise. The person on the bands had a certain number of reps for a move that they had to complete before the person on the floor could stop what they were doing and then you’d switch before moving onto the next set of moves. Quite clever since you don’t want to be the jerk making your partner do a million plank jacks, burpees, static squats, etc. so you really push yourself on the bands. Omg and so many planks and mountain climbers with feet in the straps, they are so much harder to me than normal ones on the floor! That’s what I wanted though, more core, and that’s what I got..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pretty much all of the exercises you can do with it can be easily done with other equipment; so, when I go to the gym I don't bother with the TRX stuff.
Can you give me examples of exercises that you do at the gym without the TRX with other equipment? I also tend to use other equipment besides the TRX at my fitness center, but I don't consider that I'm working the same muscles in the same way.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you give me examples of exercises that you do at the gym without the TRX with other equipment? I also tend to use other equipment besides the TRX at my fitness center, but I don't consider that I'm working the same muscles in the same way.

I guess anything with free weights, planks, push-ups, and triceps rope pull-downs (most anything on the cable-pull machine); anything that engages the core appropriately. My trainer is all about being outside and using natural/everyday stuff, so when we train at the house we use firewood, the wheelbarrow, etc. All things that require balance (as opposed to static machines) and engage the core.

The bottom line for me is that I get bored easily with workouts, so mixing it up with different machines and exercises helps. Not that the TRX isn't great; I bought it because I think it's effective, it's just what I have on hand, so the gym is a chance to do other stuff. Same reason that I rarely eat pasta at restaurants: pasta's great, but because it's affordable and versatile I eat it at home a lot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I guess anything with free weights, planks, push-ups, and triceps rope pull-downs (most anything on the cable-pull machine); anything that engages the core appropriately. My trainer is all about being outside and using natural/everyday stuff, so when we train at the house we use firewood, the wheelbarrow, etc. All things that require balance (as opposed to static machines) and engage the core.
Makes sense. I like to play with the Freemotion cable exercise equipment better than the traditional equipment. Also use kettle bells or dumbbell weights since I'm not about to collect those at home. Have a range of weights I end up using depending on whether I'm doing weights regularly or not.

The bottom line for me is that I get bored easily with workouts, so mixing it up with different machines and exercises helps. Not that the TRX isn't great; I bought it because I think it's effective, it's just what I have on hand, so the gym is a chance to do other stuff. Same reason that I rarely eat pasta at restaurants: pasta's great, but because it's affordable and versatile I eat it at home a lot.
What I like about the TRX is the wide variety of exercises that are possible. But I rarely on entire workout on the TRX. Even at home I do some other stuff since I have a BOSU and a Swiss ball. Had my first session for the spring/summer with my personal trainer this week. She found a new HIIT routine using TRX recently that includes a few exercises I've never done before. I did a toned down version. Mostly eliminating or limiting the jumping.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I’ve now completed 3 weeks of TRX classes, which doesn’t sound like much to me, but combined with yoga twice per week and cardio as well, I have started to see some new definition developing on my abs suddenly this week, along with feeling stronger core wise in general. Definitely happy with seeing some quick results, that is always motivating and makes me want to continue and to do more. Though the TRX plank exercises still kick my butt omg I find them so difficult! I wish TRX wasn’t at the same time as the bodypump class at my gym, I feel I need to add in some more weight training still and that was a nice class for it and would complement the TRX class nicely.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I’ve now completed 3 weeks of TRX classes, which doesn’t sound like much to me, but combined with yoga twice per week and cardio as well, I have started to see some new definition developing on my abs suddenly this week, along with feeling stronger core wise in general. Definitely happy with seeing some quick results, that is always motivating and makes me want to continue and to do more. Though the TRX plank exercises still kick my butt omg I find them so difficult! I wish TRX wasn’t at the same time as the bodypump class at my gym, I feel I need to add in some more weight training still and that was a nice class for it and would complement the TRX class nicely.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well I’ve now completed 3 weeks of TRX classes, which doesn’t sound like much to me, but combined with yoga twice per week and cardio as well, I have started to see some new definition developing on my abs suddenly this week, along with feeling stronger core wise in general.
:thumbsup:

I usually work with my personal trainer for 4 weekly sessions in late spring or early summer, and then at least 4 sessions in the fall. That's enough to feel different enough to get me started exercising on my own. Both in between training sessions and after we finish up.

There are a few TRX exercises that provide a good indication of how I'm doing in terms of core strength. One is the atomic pushup. Have some work to do in the next few months to get back to the high I managed to reach a few years ago.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Q: Is it truly secure and safe to hook a TRX up to a door?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Q: Is it truly secure and safe to hook a TRX up to a door?
Yes, but better for a door that closes away from you. Then the door frame goes between the door and the person using it. Hard to describe but pretty obvious when you try to pull on a door knob for a door that opens out. The TRX can be used with one of two straps. One is designed for use over a door and another for use on a ceiling anchor, or over a bar or tree branch or other firm support.

You can't do every TRX exercise with an over-the-door set up, but I've been able to do more than enough to make it worth using in my basement. Have found a few hotel rooms or condos with doors that work too, but haven't been bringing the TRX on trips lately.

Lots of ideas of how to set up a TRX or other strap training system
https://vitals.lifehacker.com/everywhere-you-can-use-suspension-trainers-to-get-a-gre-1788510494

The TRX Set Up video includes instructions for over-the-door use

marzNC

Angel Diva
While here are a few TRX exercises that require being directly under a high anchor (ceiling or bar), there are plenty of exercises that can be done in a narrow space using a door anchor. Most videos for TRX don't use a door anchor. I collected together a few examples in my fitness blog.

TRX using a door anchor or outdoors

MissySki

Angel Diva
While here are a few TRX exercises that require being directly under a high anchor (ceiling or bar), there are plenty of exercises that can be done in a narrow space using a door anchor. Most videos for TRX don't use a door anchor. I collected together a few examples in my fitness blog.

TRX using a door anchor or outdoors

Hmmm seems like a lot of the exercises where your feet are in the straps would be the ones you want right under a high anchor?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmmm seems like a lot of the exercises where your feet are in the straps would be the ones you want right under a high anchor?
I can only think of one TRX exercise that my trainer came up in the last five years that required being under and behind a high anchor. It's been a while since I've done a TRX class in the gym so don't really remember which exercises were done.

I've done several variations of hamstring exercises with heels in the cradles. Haven't had any issues doing plank-based exercises. The issue is more likely that there isn't enough space side-to-side, as shown in the video in Post #73, as opposed to any requirement to be immediately under the anchor point.

For me, I'd rather do a subset of TRX exercises at home more regularly than feel that I can only use the TRX at the fitness center. With all the possibilities, not doing a few exercises isn't that big a deal. There are times I only use the TRX for 10-15 min as part of a workout at home.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:thumbsup:

I usually work with my personal trainer for 4 weekly sessions in late spring or early summer, and then at least 4 sessions in the fall. That's enough to feel different enough to get me started exercising on my own. Both in between training sessions and after we finish up.

There are a few TRX exercises that provide a good indication of how I'm doing in terms of core strength. One is the atomic pushup. Have some work to do in the next few months to get back to the high I managed to reach a few years ago.

This is my least favorite TRX exercise.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I can only think of one TRX exercise that my trainer came up in the last five years that required being under and behind a high anchor. It's been a while since I've done a TRX class in the gym so don't really remember which exercises were done.

I've done several variations of hamstring exercises with heels in the cradles. Haven't had any issues doing plank-based exercises. The issue is more likely that there isn't enough space side-to-side, as shown in the video in Post #73, as opposed to any requirement to be immediately under the anchor point.

For me, I'd rather do a subset of TRX exercises at home more regularly than feel that I can only use the TRX at the fitness center. With all the possibilities, not doing a few exercises isn't that big a deal. There are times I only use the TRX for 10-15 min as part of a workout at home.

I just assumed this because yesterday we did a lot of planking exercises in class and the instructor kept specifying to have your feet directly under the anchor hanging point. Of course I haven’t tried it in any other way because I don’t have my own straps at home. Good to know you are still able to do these exercises without the ceiling mount.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
During my PT last summer for a torn meniscus, they had me use the TRX for squats. I didn’t think that was much different than holding onto a counter, for example. Well, I got sent back to PT three weeks ago because the knee has been more painful lately. This time, they had me use the TRX for single-leg squats and eccentric single-leg squats. Wow, that is a whole another ball of no fun (in a good way!). It challenges both my core and balance while giving me support all at the same time. I can’t think of a single way I can do that at home. I tried holding onto a chair, for example, but it throws off my form and the chair is too stable. I might have to look into getting a setup at home.

MissySki

Angel Diva
During my PT last summer for a torn meniscus, they had me use the TRX for squats. I didn’t think that was much different than holding onto a counter, for example. Well, I got sent back to PT three weeks ago because the knee has been more painful lately. This time, they had me use the TRX for single-leg squats and eccentric single-leg squats. Wow, that is a whole another ball of no fun (in a good way!). It challenges both my core and balance while giving me support all at the same time. I can’t think of a single way I can do that at home. I tried holding onto a chair, for example, but it throws off my form and the chair is too stable. I might have to look into getting a setup at home.

Agreed! The balance and core aspect is awesome!

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is my least favorite TRX exercise.
It makes a difference that I've always had good upper body strength. Loved climbing trees and jungle gyms as a kid. Have been able to do at least 4-5 regular pushups on the floor (straight arms) even when not exercising much at all.

Vaguely remember that when my trainer first introduced the atomic pushup six years ago, I could only do 2-3. It became a good test of my core strength. I don't do them much. But when I'm getting into an exercise mode that lasts more than a month, I try to work up to 10-12 atomic pushups. Right now 8 is the max in the midst of a workout. That's after 3 weekly sessions with my trainer, and one more to go before we stop for the summer. We usually do something with the TRX along with other stuff during a training session. She always comes up with something new. I'm also doing workouts on my own in between formal training sessions, which I'll continue during the summer (hopefully) until I work with her again in Sep-Oct.

What she introduced a few weeks ago was the idea of 3 "hanging crunches" followed by a pushup, with feet in the cradles the entire time. It's part of the Short Circuits HIIT workout in Post #67. That exercise can be modified to only 1-2 crunches to start with.

3 Crunches plus Pushup around Minute 6

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly