• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Books about skiing?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, I've written two novels about skiing (DOUBLE BLACK and FADE TO WHITE). And many of us here have read Mermer Blakeslee's book about fear and skiing, IN THE YIKES ZONE. But I'm wondering: has anyone read any other books about skiing they'd care to recommend? Fiction or non-fiction; doesn't matter.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoyed Warren's biography quite a bit, what a life.
Currently reading The Fall Line by Nathanial Vinton, and it's better than I expected (I've read so many I'm getting a bit jaded) and not too be confused by several other books of the same name
Two Planks and a Passion was my favorite for many years
Downhill Slide

I have several shelves of ski books. Many were forgettable. Very few were fiction -- it seems to be, aside from Ski Diva's books, an overlooked niche. I tend to prefer to read historical books about skiing. Self help books rarely appeal to me, I spend my whole time arguing with the author.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was a great book.

The Edge of Never: A Skier's Story of Life, Death, and Dreams in the World's Most Dangerous Mountains Paperback – November 7, 2008

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've enjoyed:
Tracking the Wild Coomba: The Life of Legendary Skier Doug Coombs
and
White Heat: The Extreme Skiing Life
and
SKI INC.: My Journey through four decades in the ski-resort business, from the founding entrepreneurs to mega-companies
and
Snow Guns Before Sunrise: A Peek Behind the Veil of Ski Resort Operations

Jilly

Staff member
Well lets see:
Double Black, Fade to White, Freedom Found the Warren Miller Biography, The Edge of Never, The Next 15 Minutes (Kim Kircher), Open your Heart with Winter Fitness (Lisa Marie Mercer), No Limits (Byron Rempel - the Wurtele twins) and numerous CSIA manuals.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This will seem random..... but maybe for an easy nostalgic read: Nancy Drew Mystery Stories - Mystery at the Ski Jump 1952 original print. Look for the 25 chapter first print versions of any Nancy Drew book for a much better read. The books were re-written in the 60s to condense to 20 chapters. DD went thru a "vintage" Nancy Drew phase - the books in their original format are much better written and Nancy is pretty daring for a young woman back in the day..... no cell phone, picnic lunches and escaped so many kidnappings...

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was really disappointed with the new versions that were for sale when my daughter was young. I grew up on the originals. I'll have to see if we have that one, we do have a few originals (because I was so disgusted with the newer ones I went looking for them.)

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Lonely Skier by Hammond Innes - must've read this a while ago, because I had to look up the title, but a ripping yarn from what I can remember!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly