• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When season ends, how long does it take you to put away your ski stuff?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never wash my boot liners. I sweat in them, but there's no odor so no need to wash.
Have no idea why there's no odor, but maybe it's because I never miss drying them out at night after skiing.

Speaking as a whitewater paddler, I used to wear neoprene booties with no socks and my booties smelled like the worst smell you can imagine.

Did you retch a little just from the imaginary awfulness?

Exactly. Me, too.

I switched to wearing wool socks whenever I paddled. Problem solved: No odor. I reckon as long as you keep your liners dry they should be pretty tolerable. No judgment on cleaning them, to be clear. Just a recommendation fro a size 11 Sweaty Betty.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I'm washing ski clothes right now, since we came home early Wednesday morning and left on Friday for a Las Vegas weekend and a Frankie Valli concert. The concert was great but I'd rather be skiing.

But we will probably make 2 more trips to Mammoth. Hoping to meet up with @mustski after the July 4th weekend.

It will probably take me about 2 weeks after that to close up my ski suitcase and jam it back into my closet. There's a certain finality to putting everything away.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh @SallyCat I smell that smell on a regular basis. DH is not as good at routinely rinsing his wetsuits as I am :eek::eek::eek:
[QUOTE="SallyCat, post: I used to wear neoprene booties with no socks and my booties smelled like the worst smell you can imagine.

Did you retch a little just from the imaginary awfulness?

Exactly. Me, too.[/QUOTE]

DH is impervious to that wetsuit funk. Then I smelled that infamous smell this weekend in the truck. Turned out it was his snowboard boots that have neoprene in them ..... spring boarding and no drying duplicates the same smell .....
:doh:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
On average, I think it takes me 2-4 weeks to put the ski stuff away and reclaim my dining room. I'm currently working with an organizer on the whole house, so this year I was motivated to put the ski stuff away-----the day before she came for the first time!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My new boots are packing out already. I feel more lateral movement than I like when I'm in them. It's only been about 15 days.
My boots started changing too -- after about 30 days. Thicker socks took up the space, but created some other issue. I expect I'll be shimming them next season.

mustski

Angel Diva
I'm washing ski clothes right now, since we came home early Wednesday morning and left on Friday for a Las Vegas weekend and a Frankie Valli concert. The concert was great but I'd rather be skiing.

But we will probably make 2 more trips to Mammoth. Hoping to meet up with @mustski after the July 4th weekend.

We have decided to cancel our July trip. The weather has been really warm here -65ish- on the mountain so conditions have really deteriorated.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@SallyCat and @WaterGirl - regarding stinky neoprene - go to a dive shop and ask for a product called "Sink the Stink" - I use it for my dive skins and boots after diving/snorkeling. It works - my skins get pretty stinky after a week of diving even after rinsing them out in fresh water and drying in the sun.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've a new one: I put my climbing skins out on on the deck rail to dry out on Saturday and didn't take them inside before bed. At approximately 10pm, my friend's dog got skunked. My skins were not in the direct line of fire but.....

BLECH.

Jilly

Staff member
I just sprayed the liners last year with Febreze, but this year they need a dunking. I just put them in the sink where the water goes from the machine. After the load, I give them a really good rinse and put them on the patio to dry. So it needs to be a warm sunny day. Something that has been in short supply so far.

@Divegirl - I haven't tried that product for my wetsuits. Have to see if it's available here.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots started changing too -- after about 30 days. Thicker socks took up the space, but created some other issue. I expect I'll be shimming them next season.

Mine too. I hope to make it through next season with thicker socks before having to shim.

mustski

Angel Diva
Have you tried pads rather than shims? I found that shims really screwed up my skiing because when I raised my foot in the boot, my heel was not snugged as well in the heel pocket. This may be just a Dalbello issue but the shims cause me a world of trouble.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you tried pads rather than shims?
I haven't tried either yet. I tend to think of shims first because I can just slip one in and try it. It was so close to season's end when the issue developed that it seemed better to postpone making any adjustments.

mustski

Angel Diva
I haven't tried either yet. I tend to think of shims first because I can just slip one in and try it. It was so close to season's end when the issue developed that it seemed better to postpone making any adjustments.
I meant in the past also. When I ripped them out, I was shocked at home much better I skied without shims- even though the boots were too big. You also might find that they feel good again next winter. I have noticed that when it is warmer out, and the boot softens, I feel more lateral movement than usual.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Finally put away the ski clothing washed a while ago into the storage suitcase that goes up in a closet. Washing jackets and pants . . . not done yet.

As for the skis, no need for summer wax for all but one pair because of Phantom and having space to keep them in a dry basement.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never do summer wax. And don't have Phantom on my skis. Haven't noticed any issues. I store my skis in the basement, which is relatively dry and cool.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season ended early this year (first week of march) due to family emergencies. Took me a week to wash and put away all my clothes in the ski clothes closet and my skis are sitting in my spare bathtub. I don’t put summer wax on. I just wax them at the beginning of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly