• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How a paint job can make flying more fun: sport teams, Disney, and more

marzNC

Angel Diva
My flight home from Boston to Raleigh on May 13 was more entertaining than expected. I happened to be on first public flight for the Jetblue plane painted for the Boston Bruins. The passengers included a family who had Bruins season tickets. They had won a trip to see the ice hockey playoff game in Raleigh between the Bruins and the Carolina Hurricanes the next evening.

Bear Force One on display for ceremonies near Gate C8 on May 13, 2019
Bear Force One Mar2019 - 1.jpg

T-shirts on board, other swag included a Bruins towel and hockey pucks with Bruins logo and JetBlue on the back
Bear Force One Mar2019 - 2.jpg

There was a special gathering that included short speeches by JetBlue and Bruins management before the plane was moved to the gate to get ready for boarding. The Bruins mascot wandered around the waiting area for pictures before boarding began. There were trivia questions for little prizes. Needless to say, the Bruins fans amongst the passengers were thrilled to be flying on “Bear Force One."

May 13, 2019: JetBlue unveils Boston Bruins-themed plane

Have you ever seen a custom design airplane in person?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’d never heard of “airline livery” before. That’s the official term for how airplanes are painted. Each airline picks a color and design for it’s brand. However, it’s also possible to have a custom livery for all sorts of reasons.

May 13, 2019: JetBlue, Boston’s Largest Airline, Scores Big with New Custom Livery Dedicated to the Boston Bruins

May 13, 2019: Beware ‘Bear Force One’ — A Bruins-themed jet is bringing fans ready to cheer against Canes - includes video of the painting process

USA Today, Nov 2018: JetBlue paints Airbus A320 in colors of NBA's Brooklyn Nets
“ . . .
JetBlue has rolled out a number of special aircraft “liveries” – or paint schemes – in recent years.

A number of those have been sports-related, including ones painted in the colors of the New York Jets pro football team, the Boston Celtics NBA team and the Boston Red Sox pro baseball franchise. Not coincidentally, New York JFK and Boston are JetBlue’s two busiest hubs.

Other special paint schemes for JetBlue during the past few years have included ones that pay homage to the New York City Fire and Police departments, the “binary code” computer language and one designed in an imaginary retro livery."

The JetBlue Celtics plane heading out passed the Bruins plane
Bear Force One May 2019 B - 1.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not surprisingly, Disney has agreements with multiple airlines for special planes. WestJet (Canadian airline) created one in 2013 for the Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer. WestJet unveiled the Frozen plane in 2015. Watching the paint design emerge is pretty neat!

Christy

Angel Diva
Alaska does that. They do colleges (Boise State, Oregon State...), Disney, something HI themed...Southwest does too. SW used to have Seaworld themed planes, but removed them when they finally realized that keeping whales in tanks was not something it was good to be associated with.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alaska does that. They do colleges (Boise State, Oregon State...)
Ooh, something to search for . . . found an article about the Alaska plane done for San Diego State in 2012.

https://www.airlinereporter.com/201...a-variety-of-liveries-on-alaskahorizon-q400s/
". . .
It took a crew of eight people working around the clock for seven days at Associated Painters, located in Spokane, WA to paint the SDSU livery. The painting required 32 gallons of white paint, 10 gallons of red paint and four gallons of black paint. In addition, about 2,000 sheets of sandpaper and 10,000 yards of masking tape were also used.
. . ."

Divegirl

Angel Diva
That must have been so cool to fly on Bear Force 1. Back in March I saw Jet Blue's Red Sox plane, wasn't my flight though :(. Bad enough I had to go to FL during ski seasons at least I could've flown on the Sox plane.

Hope to see you in NE sometime

One very sad die hard Bruins fan up here - :( - I bleed black & gold

marzNC

Angel Diva
That must have been so cool to fly on Bear Force 1. Back in March I saw Jet Blue's Red Sox plane, wasn't my flight though :(. Bad enough I had to go to FL during ski seasons at least I could've flown on the Sox plane.

Hope to see you in NE sometime

One very sad die hard Bruins fan up here - :( - I bleed black & gold
I imagine I'll get back to New England every so often.

Sorry, can't say I'm sad to see St. Louis win. But that's because the only time I became a solid New York fan was when I was at school in Concord, MA. Didn't matter what sport. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly