• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2019 Summer biking goals

MissySki

Angel Diva
My 6’4” husband and I talked about getting a roof bike rack but ultimately decided that the risk of scratching up my car or the bikes would be too great. I’m 5’2” and it would be super challenging for me to be able to load and unload. But, trailer hitch has been ordered, and I signed up for a women’s beginner clinic that’s happening in 2 weekends. Woohoo!

That’s awesome!! I haven’t been able to find a women’s clinic close to me, there is one through REI but it’s already full! I’m on the waiting list now. I could do the co-ed one, there are way more of those. I just thought I might like to do a women’s one because I’m still quite timid on a bike and feel the vibe is always nice for that in the women centric groups.

elemmac

Angel Diva
That’s awesome!! I haven’t been able to find a women’s clinic close to me, there is one through REI but it’s already full! I’m on the waiting list now. I could do the co-ed one, there are way more of those. I just thought I might like to do a women’s one because I’m still quite timid on a bike and feel the vibe is always nice for that in the women centric groups.

I know this one isn’t exactly close to you, but might be worth a weekend trip up north. The Kingdom Trails are amazing. A friend of mine just signed up for it...Not sure about availability though or if they’re sold out, but might be worth a shot...https://www.kingdomexperiences.com/event/queens-of-the-kingdom-3/

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picked up baby’s first MTB last week, but apparently I don’t have the right rack to transport and need a trailer hitch installed on my car. So, it looks like my first ride isn’t happening this weekend. I found out that REI is having its anniversary sale beginning next Friday so at least I can save money on getting additional gear needed and a fancy tray style bike rack! Dang this sport is expensive.
My mountain bike goes in my car with the front wheel off. Furniture pads work great to keep the car clean. We also use these to transport his bike and to hold my bike on the storage rack.
https://www.amazon.com/TRANSIT-Performance-Frame-Adapter/dp/B07J2S999B

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know this one isn’t exactly close to you, but might be worth a weekend trip up north. The Kingdom Trails are amazing. A friend of mine just signed up for it...Not sure about availability though or if they’re sold out, but might be worth a shot...https://www.kingdomexperiences.com/event/queens-of-the-kingdom-3/

This looks amazing! All of the sessions have availability still too. It’s too bad that it goes from early June and then not again until August and September though. I have plans on the June weekend already, not sure if I might be able to get out of them, hmmmmm..

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki I was going to recommend NEMBA Fest in East Burke the last weekend in June, assuming they would have women's clinics, but I don't see any on the schedule. I'm sure I'm just looking at a skeleton sched, though. It would be worth checking back to see what's on offer.

On a very local level, the Ascutney Trails system is holding a "solstice fest" on June 22, which will somewhat replicate the now-defunct (but very fun) VT mountain bike festival. Liz Burdette and Leah Gardner, who run a women's MTB ride and clinic series here in the Upper Valley, will be offering a women's skills clinic. Ascutney is a great trail system (bit more climbing than Kingdom Trails, but more varied and interesting, imho) and the guided rides alone would be worth the visit. LMK if you'd like more info. It's right off 91, so easy to make a weekend or long weekend that includes the Kingdom Trails (or any of the MANY other great trail systems in VT/NH!)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The jumps clinic was just what I needed, pushed me out of my comfort zone and gave me a new skill set that has been sorely missing from my biking. I do almost exclusively cross country riding and can navigate rock gardens and a lot of switchbacks (still not great at right hand turns, though.) But I have always absorbed jumps and terrain vs. using them for joy and power. We spent a TON of time on the pump track at Trailside in Park City, then hit the larger of the table top jumps. I finally, after about 6 runs down them, was pumping and letting myself catch a wee bit of air. My body aches in places that biking doesn't usually bother. The joys of being 50!!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds fun. I look forward to the shortcut through the trees on my bike route to work. The ground is shaped similar to a small ski terrain park jump. Im working up to getting enough speed to get some air

elemmac

Angel Diva
24 Hours of Great Glen is coming back!

This was a staple when I started mountain biking 9 years ago. The race got too big, too expensive to put on, not enough sponsors and they weren't making ends meet. I competed from 2011-2015. It's a race that you get what you want out of it. There are serious riders, going for record breaking times/laps, and there are recreational riders in a 5-person team just having fun on their bikes. Some teams/individuals ride straight for 24 hours, others take breaks, naps and just ride off and on.

It's not actually coming back until 2020. But I'm pumped for it, and would recommend it to anyone in the New England area. It's a fun weekend, regardless of your personal competitive edge on a bike.

https://www.greatglentrails.com/24hour

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I had first ride on new gravel bike yesterday. I am really excited about the versatility. Shop owners calls gravel bikes "road bikes for mountain bikers". Pavement, gravel, dirt, easy singletrack.... that's pretty versatile!! Since we live right on the edge of wheat farming country, this instantly doubles riding options from the house. My road bike is closer to a racing bike with very narrow tires so I would NEVER consider taking it off pavement. The ride on this feel so stable and not (potentially) squirrelly, and at the speeds I ride at gearing is comparable.

This is an all carbon Giant Revolt. I am going to add a rack/panniers to the back and hope to go "stealth"for grocery getting as the bike looks pretty low key. Yes, I know I have an "N+1" problem.20190513_144701.jpg

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had first ride on new gravel bike yesterday. I am really excited about the versatility. Shop owners calls gravel bikes "road bikes for mountain bikers". Pavement, gravel, dirt, easy singletrack.... that's pretty versatile!! Since we live right on the edge of wheat farming country, this instantly doubles riding options from the house. My road bike is closer to a racing bike with very narrow tires so I would NEVER consider taking it off pavement. The ride on this feel so stable and not (potentially) squirrelly, and at the speeds I ride at gearing is comparable.

This is an all carbon Giant Revolt. I am going to add a rack/panniers to the back and hope to go "stealth"for grocery getting as the bike looks pretty low key. Yes, I know I have an "N+1" problem.View attachment 10863

I’m so jealous that I can see your shadow here!! Lol I feel like a broken record, but I am so not used to all of the rain and gray we’ve had this “spring” in MA. I feel like it’s taking a toll on everyone’s mood, and it’s the topic of conversation pretty much everyday at work.

April-21 wet days
May- 11 wet days so far with more of the same in the forecast

The worst part of this is that any days we have had that were nice out were of course work days. Except for this past Saturday, which was lovely!! Then Sunday back to pouring rain, and north and west of is had snow last night!!

I could obviously never make it in the Pacific Northwest..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m so jealous that I can see your shadow here!! Lol I feel like a broken record, but I am so not used to all of the rain and gray we’ve had this “spring” in MA. I feel like it’s taking a toll on everyone’s mood, and it’s the topic of conversation pretty much everyday at work.

April-21 wet days
May- 11 wet days so far with more of the same in the forecast

The worst part of this is that any days we have had that were nice out were of course work days. Except for this past Saturday, which was lovely!! Then Sunday back to pouring rain, and north and west of is had snow last night!!

I could obviously never make it in the Pacific Northwest..
I found that the weather in Ohio, with its gray and rain, was FAR worse than the Pacific Northwest. I feel for you either way!

Some of our local trails are starting to become rideable, and I'm so grateful! In the meantime, we ride the Wasatch front trails (not my favorites) or head south.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shop owners calls gravel bikes "road bikes for mountain bikers". Pavement, gravel, dirt, easy singletrack.... that's pretty versatile!!

Congratulations on New Bike Day! It looks awesome!

I am selling my hardtail 29er mountain bike and eventually hope to replace it with a gravel bike. I need a way to get out on a bike during Vermont's LONG mud season and get fit before the singletrack opens. I did some long-ish (15 mi) gravel rides on my hardtail, and it was fine, but I think a drop-bar bike might be more comfortable for longer rides where you're in one position the whole time.

Enjoy!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been riding a fair amount already, but nothing reminds me that I am not in mid-summer shape quite like a couple days on the Snowbasin trails that are finally drying out. I got my ASS kicked last night riding a 3 mile climb on a ride I do regularly during summer. The trails here will test your ability to navigate rock gardens and your cardiovascular fitness X 10. The bonus is the descents are fun, and this particular trail has several jumps built into it, and thanks to my jumps clinic, I took several of them and had fun doing so! I used to just absorb them.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
So far I'm really digging the gravel bike. It's not going to replace my mtn bike, but may replace my road bike. I've taken it on gravel, pavement, and easy singletrack. On pavement it's much more stable and feels less skittery than my road bike. It may be just as fast as "speed" is not my thing. The buff single track was awesome. The only place I ran into any trouble was large embedded cobbles, and downhill on loose cobbles. My shops call gravel bikes "road bikes for mountain bikers".

As I understand, the big difference between a gravel bike and a cross bike is that a cross bike is designed for a short race length ride, and a gravel bike is designed for all day riding.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I hear you. Our trails here on Ascutney opened last weekend and I thought I was in fair shape, having done a lot of long road climbs. I was NOT ready. Ascutney is steep, and though the trails are well-built with excellent switchbacks, it's still long, gradual climbing interspersed with short, punchy climbing over obstacles. A great high-intensity workout, for sure, though!

You'd love some of our trails: our Trail Boss has an affinity for putting small jumps wherever he can, just for fun. Once on a long descent, he said "follow me" and showed me every little place to catch air the whole way down. Nothing big, just cool little features to pop off. Sometimes I'll ride a trail I know very well only to discover that he's put in a fun little mini-tabletop out of the blue. Definitely makes the climbing worthwhile!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing