• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah 2018-19: travel planning, snow conditions, deals

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another snowstorm expected next week in Utah! :clap:

For anyone considering a last minute trip and using the UTA Ski Bus, note that the last day for bus service is April 6, 2019.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone with Ikon go thru the process to reserve a ticket ahead of time for Deer Valley?
Found out the webpage for reserving a DV ticket for an Ikon pass. Can do it up to midnight the day before. Only held until 10am the day booked, and if not picked up then could still be deducted from the number of days available. Probably no need to reserve for late season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's Wednesday morning and it's snowing at Alta! Can see at least 4 inches on the Alta Lodge deck. The official info on the Alta website is 5 inches overnight and an inch during the day on Tuesday, 4/2.

It was getting windy yesterday afternoon after 3:00 or so off Supreme. Had warmed up enough and then cooled off that the groomers were frozen hard pack. But there are plenty of places to find soft snow if you know where to look.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Forecast for the next few days looks good! Demo Day at Alta on April 6 is going to be a powder day. :becky:

OpenSnow on 4/3 for Alta
Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 7.19.00 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Per usual, the forecast is shifting. While there will be new snow for the Demo Day at Alta on April 6, it might or might not qualify as a powder day. Groomers will probably get scraped off relatively fast. Although there haven't been a lot of people on the slopes the last few days. It was in the 40s earlier today before the temp starting going down fast around lunch time. By 2:00, it was in the 20s and everything was setting up fast.

The storm on Tue-Wed, April 9-10 is what people are watching more.

OpenSnow on 4/5 for Alta
Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 5.08.25 PM.png

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I’d seen this thread earlier but we are wrapping up the end of our week here in Utah. I was lobbying hard to go to Alta for the demo day tomorrow before our 3:15 flight, but I’m not sensing much enthusiasm from my husband and two teens. Six days of skiing has wiped them out. Snowbird today was pretty amazing.we especially had fun doing the black runs from the top to miners basin chair. One of our teens prefers blues and loved the groomers and the food at Deer Valley, so we spent a lot of time there as well. I have to say, there’s not many resorts where the food is quite so excellent, especially at the Snow Park restaurant. Deer valley has fairly astonishing customer service and no lines, thank you ikon pass for introducing us to a resort I wouldn’t have considered otherwise. We stayed in the fox bay condos near the Deer valley Jordanelle lift, gorgeous views and only $125-175 for pretty nice two bedroom condos.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of our teens prefers blues and loved the groomers and the food at Deer Valley, so we spent a lot of time there as well. I have to say, there’s not many resorts where the food is quite so excellent, especially at the Snow Park restaurant. Deer valley has fairly astonishing customer service and no lines, thank you ikon pass for introducing us to a resort I wouldn’t have considered otherwise. We stayed in the fox bay condos near the Deer valley Jordanelle lift, gorgeous views and only $125-175 for pretty nice two bedroom condos.
My friends and I checked out DV yesterday because of the Ikon pass. Definitely on my Top Ten list of places for a return visit in the future. Late season is a great time to ski in Utah, pretty much anywhere. Definitely more deals to be had for lodging.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My friends and I checked out DV yesterday because of the Ikon pass. Definitely on my Top Ten list of places for a return visit in the future. Late season is a great time to ski in Utah, pretty much anywhere. Definitely more deals to be had for lodging.
No Stein Erickson Lodge for lunch?

marzNC

Angel Diva
No Stein Erickson Lodge for lunch?
Nope. We ate at Empire. What was different was seeing two free boot/glove dryers near the entrance to the restrooms.

Did wander into the Stein lobby on the way back to the base. There wasn't any water with cups. When asked, the man at the check in desk happily provided a bottle of water for whoever wanted one. I looked at the lunch menu . . . sandwiches were $20-25. :eek: Eating on the deck looked fun though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The storm forecast for this week has improved! :snow:

Temps stayed in the 30s all night, even at the top of Collins. During a late season trip, I check the hourly records on the Alta website first thing in the morning. Best way to have some sense of when and where the snow will soften.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.04.20 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta will be under Interlodge the morning of April 10, starting at 6:30 and lasting at least until 8:00. Road closing at 5:30. Needless to say, it's going to snow a lot before morning. Started in the afternoon at Alta/Snowbird with a mix of rain and snow at the base. Visibility was gone after lunch due to fog and the heavy snow.

Was raining at Solitude at the base by 2:00. Temperature was in the 40s, after having been around 50 in the morning. Bill and I went over to Solitude because we have Ikon. Got a better feel for the place. But it was too warm in some areas and too cold in others for good snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The forecast for the amount of snow during the day at Alta was too low. There was 8 inches in the first 12 hour measurement period during the day on April 9.

The temperature drop today shows how fast the storm moved in. At Collins mid-station it went from 42 to 35 to 28, looking at the data for 8am, 3pm, 9pm. The Alta website has hourly weather stats for the last 24 hours for mid-station, the base, and top of Collins. I usually check first thing in the morning to see the overnight temps during late season trips.

marzNC

Angel Diva
TWO FEET of snow expected this week! Am I crazy for having the kids ditch school on Wednesday or thursday?
Let me know if you head up to Alta this week or this weekend!

Looks like two feet at Alta is pretty likely. There is already 14 inches officially as of 7am on Wed morning, April 10. It's snowing heavily (1-2 inch per hour rate) and forecast is for 6-10 inches, with perhaps as much as 11-14 inches by 5pm.

Of course with the road closed this morning and avalanche work, the local powder hounds will be checking to see when areas like Ballroom, Backside, or Devil's Castle will open.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 7.38.18 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
OMG! Already 25 inches and it's still snowing. There was 14 inches when the lifts opened and another 10+ during the day. Some was a little heavy but there was fluffy snow to be found if you knew where to look. However, it was very windy. There were cornices to enter groomers in places, such as Big Dipper off the Supreme cat track.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
OMG! Already 25 inches and it's still snowing. There was 14 inches when the lifts opened and another 10+ during the day. Some was a little heavy but there was fluffy snow to be found if you knew where to look. However, it was very windy. There were cornices to enter groomers in places, such as Big Dipper off the Supreme cat track.
What skis did you take out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly