• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inline skating

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if rollerblades go by the same sizing as derby skates. My youngest has taken up roller derby with the Worcester Jr. league. Apparently you want your derby skates snug, like ski boots. And they go by men's sizes. So she has a 7- 7.5 street shoe, 23.5 ski boot, and her derby skates are a size 5.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ah interesting! Looks like I need to investigate more. Hoping to find a local skate shop for some sizing and general info.

Jilly

Staff member
My inlines are 1/2 size bigger than my ski boot size. So more my shoe size. I started with K2 skates, then moved to Salomon. Salomon is no longer making them. And it's been years since I've had them on.

K2 is still making inlines as far as I know. Make sure you get a skate that is not for roller hockey. That boot will look like a hockey skate. And K2 has ladies skates.

Start with a middle of road pair. Not the smallest wheel, but a good set of bearing is a must.

I skated with a figure skating coach. So I inline with a pendulum motion. Remember there are no picks or hockey stops. The rubber stopper is what slows you down. If you push off the toe, you'll wear that wheel down faster. Try to push from the center, like a hockey player.

Protective gear is a must too. Wrist and knee pads. Bike helmet is a good idea too.

Your cul-de-sac sounds great for starting out. We have a beautiful trail that runs along the Bay and the river. It has "champagne" asphalt for inlining on. But you have to look out for bikers, walkers/runner and small dogs on tiny leashes!! Been on the grass too many times with those little buggers....

MissySki

Angel Diva
Do you all recommend a molded boot versus the softer boot in frame? It seems like Rollerblade in particular has the molded skates as the ones designated in the crossover and “skate to ski” line because they are stiffer laterally. It also looks like wheels of 90mm might be a good place to be for stability and smoothing out rougher outside surfaces. Any thoughts on the hi-lo wheels? I saw a K2 model with 100mm wheels in back and 90mm in the front. I saw some discussion of this type of skate earlier in this thread as well, but since I don’t see a ton of options for this setup I wonder if this isn’t something that is hugely popular.

Here is an example of one of Rollerblade’s current skate to ski options:

https://www.rollerblade.com/usa/products/maxxum-edge-90-w/?gp=15630&cp=15622

And k2’s hi-lo setup:

https://www.inlineskates.com/K2-VO2...-OJRdngNECAPjh5CABNk_jy3X09FoB0IaAmeZEALw_wcB

Jilly

Staff member
Those 2 have very large wheels. You will go fast!!

I was into the shop yesterday and he has the new K2's out. 70- 80mm wheels are all you need.

Kinetic or Alexis 80's is all your going to need for fitness.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Those 2 have very large wheels. You will go fast!!

I was into the shop yesterday and he has the new K2's out. 70- 80mm wheels are all you need.

Kinetic or Alexis 80's is all your going to need for fitness.

Those are good for carving and ski drill skills as well? I wonder why Rollerblade has such big wheels on all of the skate to ski recommendations.

I’m jealous you have a shop that carries a variety of skates! I’ve been striking out around here so far.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I joined the Boston Skate Club’s Facebook group and asked for local shop recommendations there. I’ve only gotten 1, but from several people, so seems like the place around here. It is around 5 miles from where I work, though around a 20 minute drive due to Boston traffic. I’ll definitey plan to stop there sometime in the next couple of weeks. From their website it looks like they carry a large variety from K2 and Rollerblade, along with a bunch of other brands I’ve never heard of. Not sure what they actually keep stocked, but I think this will be a great starting point to try stuff on and get some tips on the type of skates I should focus on for what I’m looking to get out of it as well as where I might skate around here. :thumbsup: Progress!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Going back through the thread a bit, I was wondering if people who were skaters and those thinking about it are still doing so/ really got into it over the past few years, and what skates you have now. @Fluffy Kitty @WaterGirl @dianakate @Skisailor @santacruz skier @volklgirl @Dtrick924
Have not been on my k2 inline skates 100mm wheels probably since my post five years ago! No particular reason but used to skate 3 x a week for 4-5 miles along the river levee or along the ocean bike path. I live 1/2 block from the ocean but now the path is so crowded with walkers, strollers, dogs, people on cruiser bikes.... I guess I've lost interest. Still have all my stuff for in line skating, but one thing I would like to point out is I never wore a helmet. Started in line skating in the early 90's and skated for about 20 years. I would definitely wear a helmet, probably just use my bike helmet as all my ski stuff lives in tahoe.
Let us know @MissySki ......may have to revive my stuff. Or buy new skates. Think I would be afraid to start out with the 100mm wheels I currently have as it's been too long...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Have not been on my k2 inline skates 100mm wheels probably since my post five years ago! No particular reason but used to skate 3 x a week for 4-5 miles along the river levee or along the ocean bike path. I live 1/2 block from the ocean but now the path is so crowded with walkers, strollers, dogs, people on cruiser bikes.... I guess I've lost interest. Still have all my stuff for in line skating, but one thing I would like to point out is I never wore a helmet. Started in line skating in the early 90's and skated for about 20 years. I would definitely wear a helmet, probably just use my bike helmet as all my ski stuff lives in tahoe.
Let us know @MissySki ......may have to revive my stuff. Or buy new skates. Think I would be afraid to start out with the 100mm wheels I currently have as it's been too long...

Well not the worst time in the season to think about starting up again! :clap: I will definitely report back after I visit the shop.

Seems Rollerblade is definitely pushing the Skate to Ski angle. Ski instructors can even purchase discounted on pro cards like with ski gear. In the link below they have some videos (though not super helpful seeming to a total beginner like me..) as well as recommendations of the best skates to use for this purpose in their lineup. They also look to have recently created a facebook group which I am waiting to be let into. I can see the posts, but cannot comment yet. I’m especially interested that some people have high praise for a skate to ski clinic that took place at Roundtop last year, and wonder if there will be more other places this year. That would be great, especially if it could be closer to me than PA!

https://www.rollerblade.com/usa/the...ce/skating-advice/skate-to-ski-cross-training

MissySki

Angel Diva
I called the shop near my job yesterday to inquire on whether their inventory online was representative of what they carry in store and got a resounding yes and that they have a huge amount of skates there at all times. So now I need to figure out when I can go as they requested I make an appointment for a fitting because they have been busy recently with the nicer weather starting. Unfortunately I have commitments after work today and I’m working from home tomorrow, so it’ll have to be next week sometime. They also do lessons, so I’ll inquire about that while I’m there as well. It’s fun to have something to occupy my mind with as ski season starts to wind down, though I still plan on getting out a bit more before it’s over.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki I have the K2 Hi lo set up (one older pair and a pair I bought 3 years ago fo DD). I really like the high /low set up as you can "carve."

DD had a pair of cheaperK2s w 80 wheels - I hated them, really not as much fun as the hi lo set up. Stiff and not as compliant. Fine for learning / going straight but thats it. Not sure if they still make the Ho/lo.

I have a "performance fit" and really keep cranking on the straps to get the soft boot as tight as possible .....

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I have the K2 Hi lo set up (one older pair and a pair I bought 3 years ago fo DD). I really like the high /low set up as you can "carve."

DD had a pair of cheaperK2s w 80 wheels - I hated them, really not as much fun as the hi lo set up. Stiff and not as compliant. Fine for learning / going straight but thats it. Not sure if they still make the Ho/lo.

I have a "performance fit" and really keep cranking on the straps to get the soft boot as tight as possible .....

I’m definitely going to ask about the hi-lo setup when I go in this week. I’m excited to look at stuff, but also wonder how much I’ll be able to tell from trying things on besides fit, with my lack of experience.. Of course they can hopefully guide me on the best options for my goals. I figure whatever fits best out of the skates they recommend will likely be the winner for this first pair. If it’s not so definitive by fit, then I’m not sure how I’ll decide haha. I’m hoping it’ll be like a ski boot fitting where they really have a good suggested boot for you, but I guess I don’t really know what to expect!

Any tips on what I should be looking for out of this fitting session?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I went to the shop near me yesterday after work, and after around 1.5 hrs. of trying stuff on, I left without any skates and a bit overwhelmed. I'll preface this by saying I didn't give my budget up front, I wanted to be kind of open on what I was trying on, and assumed a beginner would be put in pretty moderately priced skates to begin with, that was my first mistake. Also, the owner is very into tri skates (3 wheels) of size 100 and up. He said that they are becoming some of the most popular varieties because they smooth out the ride so much skating outside and that the 3 wheel design allows you to have larger wheels with a shorter frame to keep more maneuverability than a quad frame with larger wheels.

Up first was a Powerslide Next 100 skate. I think this was a starting point because it is a full molded plastic shell, so more lateral stiffness for what I described wanting to do with the ski cross training plan. This also has a removable liner like a ski boot, you can even replace that with an intuition liner if you like. The skate is supposed to be pretty bomb proof as in it won't break down outside of wheels of course, so it should last a good long time. I skated around a bit and it felt okay, though I am a bit worried that the large wheels will get me going too fast to start.. The owner didn't seem to take much issue with this, and thought I'd pick it up pretty quickly with my background and how I was already getting around on the first skates I'd been in since I was a kid. The fit felt secure for the length and width, it was comfortable, but the overall volume above my foot felt like it was in a tub, so I was definitely wanting to try on more options.

Second thing I tried on was just a boot as it wasn't set up with a frame or wheels yet. It was the Powerslide Swell. This is a hybrid boot that has both soft and hard shell components to it and is also laterally stiff. It was extremely comfortable, it literally felt like a glove as it touched every contour of my very low volume foot, including my instep. It has a specific 3 point frame it uses that has a channel down the center of it where the wheels sit, so this is supposed to lower your center of gravity a bit even though they are typically used with 3 larger wheels as well. I think I can go down to 90 mm, or I could do 100 +, but I would definitely NOT go over 100. I believe I could also do a 4 wheel setup, but I am warming to the idea of doing 3 wheels right now because it keeps the frame shorter and from some things I've read, people say it makes them easier for maneuverability since your central point of rotation is the single middle wheel versus 2 middle wheels with a quad setup. I could have had the owner put frames and wheels on the boot, but I didn't because I wanted to try more options, so I will have to do that next time since, spoiler alert, I'm heavily leaning towards these skates after having been able to go home and research some things myself after my visit. Though I really don't think they need it with how well they fit out of box, I was also told they can be heat molded to help with the break-in process.

The next thing I tried on was the Seba High Light. Here's where things started going a little downhill, as I LOVED these skates. This is another hybrid boot, super comfy (but roomier) and a little taller so starting to feel more like a really streamlined comfy little ski boot. The wheels on this one were much smaller than the others I had been on at 76mm (they also can accommodate an 80mm), and I felt more stable and connected to the ground I assume because of this. So I'm liking this skate, and ask how much it is.. $419 (on sale).. ugh what???

So I pull out my list of skates I'd originally been interested in trying from K2 and Rollerblade. He kind of dismissed the K2 saying that he really doesn't like them unless I am okay with their getting worn out really fast. He said that the lateral support starts out feeling okay, but in not too long they break down quite a bit and then I'll get less and less lateral stability and be trying to tighten, to no avail, to compensate. This resonated with @WaterGirl 's comment above regarding always having to try and tighten.. So I then asked about Rollerblade and he says they are better constructed and brings out the Maxxum 90 which is supposed to compete with the Powerslide Next 100 that I'd originally had on. I put that one on and I really liked the fit, another form fitting one (why can't ski boots fit me with this ease?!!?). However, I could immediately feel a bunch of pressure points, like the liner was super thin or something and I'd definitely need some padding.. Now if I'd originally tried these on as I'd wanted, well then I might have just thought that was fine, but after having on the other skates that felt so good and like I could stay in them forever, well these kind of stunk.. Not only that, but they are still like $279 skates. I don't want to drop that kind of cash on something that doesn't feel good.

Then I go back to the Seba (that yeah there is no way I'm paying for, but why not play more with them..) and ask if they have the next size down to try on because actually those felt a little longer and had less heel hold than a couple of the others even though it wasn't a bad fit by any means. So he comes back out with a size down, but it is actually the top of the line model because it is carbon fiber and this one is not much more than the High Light because it was a demo skate and therefore 30% off. So this one is $530 (um yeah we are going in the wrong direction..), but I try it on for the sizing aspect. I'm relieved that it is a tiny bit tight actually, on my little toes. He has me try them on without the insoles to see if that makes enough room, it just about does.. No problem says the owner, this one is also heat moldable, AND we use equipment like ski boots to punch things out when necessary..

So at this point I am completely overloaded with information, annoyed with myself for trying on expensive skates that make the still not cheap cheaper ones feel like crap, and I want to get out of there badly! I make my exit and promise to mull things over.. I was annoyed that I got all frazzled, and there was no making any real decisions at that point.

Once I got home and away from the situation, I started further researching the Seba High Light and Powerslide Swell options. Pushed the Seba aside because they are just too expensive and I couldn't find them any cheaper online either. The Powerslide Swell on the other hand seems like a good option given how well they fit me. Plus I found a bunch of really good reviews and such online for them, so that makes me feel better as well. Seems I could get older versions cheaper online, but may just go back to the shop because I'd like to have them all setup and heat molded for me, plus I'd like to keep the local resource since it doesn't seem there are almost any others around for brick and mortar shops anymore. I'm also thinking it'd be best to start with 90mm wheels, so I figure I might be able to switch these out at the shop since they aren't built yet versus buying a fully built pair online and then having to purchase the additional wheels etc. anyway.

Super excited to get started.. would you try and source cheaper online, or go through the local shop and pay a little more but have a good contact going forward?

Sorry for the book! :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and this one is not much more than the High Light because it was a demo skate and therefore 30% off. So this one is $530

so.... in his book $110 is "not much more"? I'd say that is a fair amount more. For where to buy, I guess it depends on what the price difference turns out to be once fully set up. If it is just a small difference (which in my book is way less than $110) I would go with the brick and mortar store for service down the road.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki thats a lot to process.... seems like you have many options and there is some new thinking on what is the ideal skate wheel size and set up. Seems like your going from straight skis to parabolic via 4 small wheels to 3 large wheels LOL.

What were your original goals? Mine really is to get in a quick cardio work out. Bonus that it can replicate some skiing skills/muscles. For that, the craptastic pair of K2's imaged below have served me well for at least 5+ years with only 2 wheel/ bearing changes. I will say these feel "better quality" then the newer pair I bought for DD. (I think K2 really dumbed down their entry level skates). These usually live in the back of my car (non ski season) and I go for a skate when waiting for the tide to go up down before surfing or as a quick before work cardio hit. I don't wear socks, just two ace ankle supports to cover my boney ankles. Seems I'm a bit ghetto in my set up, but it works, and I really enjoy the carve factor you get on the hi lo set up. If I had the availability to go long distance in my neighborhood, or if I wanted to race, I would upgrade to a better / bigger wheeled set up. But realistically I'm only skating 35 mins to 1 hour and its something I enjoy doing.

I know we are all "boot sluts" after spending time getting the right ski boot fit, but I think this is an area (at least recreationally) where comfort should rule. I did say that I like to crank to get them tight, but thats b/c I'm just trying to replicate the feel of my ski boot fit. I do play around a lot with for aft balance and one legged skating etc. I do see that the HiLo option I have is not available any more -- my wheels are 84/80 the ones offered by K2 are 90/100. I think you would get more of a work out and more agility with the smaller set up. Would be interesting to try the larger setup at some point.

Its great that you have the option to try on all the skates. Can you demo any of them? I know some of the indoor skate rinks have inline skates to demo..... It does seem like a lot of money but if your going to use them a few times a week I can totally see spending the $$$. as they will last you several years....

20190410_132134_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly