• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

hardpack/ice ski

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Divas, went through many of your suggestions, opinions.. but still need some help.
As some of you mentioned sale season is on (even in Europe:-) so I consider to buy another skis:-) This time I am trying to find the right ski for groomed hardpack maybe with some ice as well. I have two pairs of skitouring skis and one freeride ones. But I do not have any "ordinary" skis:wink:
Well I still do prefer skiing freeride and skitouring but there are days I need to be skiing groomed terrain (in the winter almost every weekend early morning when my almost 6 years old trains in skiing (ski club). I use skitouring skis for resort skiing but sometimes it is not fun - when conditions are not ideal. I have to be very concentrated and focused and that means I am slow and (this is even worst): I can not keep up with my little daughter! She has been improving so fast..:clap:
What skis would you recommend? 70-80mm? Am I right?

I had dynastar skis 20years ago..straight and so stiff:-) I did bought them just because I liked them and it was a good deal. Was skiing on them for many years but they are in my parents house and am not very keen on to use them again:becky:
I am tall 169cm but lightweight (105lbs).
Thanks!!
M.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For carving I would definitely go with a ski in the 70's or very low 80's underfoot. Decide what size turns you like to make to choose a sidecut. Most skis say the size of the turn 8m to 30m right on the ski. Remember that your weight is what determines the skis length, not your height. I hope that helps.

Jilly

Staff member
As someone that ski groomers and hardpack most of the time....yes anywhere around 70-80mm waist. My current skis are 74 and another at 68. But these are both high performance skis.

Dynastar has some great stuff under the Intense models.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@minqea I am currently in a pair of 110 flex low volume older langes that are completely coming apart with torn plastics and buckles and transitioning into a Head World Cup Rebel RS with an intuition plug wrap liner 110 flex.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
For carving I would definitely go with a ski in the 70's or very low 80's underfoot. Decide what size turns you like to make to choose a sidecut. Most skis say the size of the turn 8m to 30m right on the ski. Remember that your weight is what determines the skis length, not your height. I hope that helps.
I think short turns, maybe something in between short and long:-) Depends on conditions but with my kid I usually ski right behind her.
I consider to buy 156cm long skis, hope it could be OK.
Do you think I can get mens/unisex skis? If there is titanal but skis are not stiff (it is written in product details) and they are recommended for all - beginners and advanced.. I mean atomic redster x5 model
https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/redster-x5-ft-11-gw-aa3311.html

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Skiing in a touring boot you will have a hard time driving a true narrow performance carver.

I expect you would be better served with a low-mid 80s waist width ski in a length commensurate with your height but with a lighter construction to take your weight into consideration. Skiing on a 156cm ski when you are 169cm is a very short ski even with your feather weight. Many will tell you that a ski only knows how heavy you are but I don't buy it - when you are taller your leverage is very different. You will absolutely leverage a ski differently at 169cm than someone of your same weight at 152cm.

Consider the Volkl Yumi or Volkl Kama 161 or 168. Yumi has a little metal, the Kama is similar to the original Yumi with no metal.

Jilly

Staff member
Whoa....that's a game changer. Forget any system binding it won't work with that boot.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your boots won't work with alpine bindings. If you want skis for icy conditions, get some carving skis, any advance level skis should do really, but lean towards SL rather than GS, when it's icy you will appreciate a tighter radius and you don't want a ski that might be too soft. You can go longer than 156, next length up will work well. But you will need alpine DIN boots.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would that boot work with a shift binding?
Yes, that boot should work in a shift binding, which has the advantage of being compatible with alpine and touring boots with only a few small changes. The hard part is finding one for sale, and it does double the cost of the binding. For a ski that would never be used touring it seems like a slightly odd combo...but I have done odd combos before.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, that boot should work in a shift binding, which has the advantage of being compatible with alpine and touring boots with only a few small changes. The hard part is finding one for sale, and it does double the cost of the binding. For a ski that would never be used touring it seems like a slightly odd combo...but I have done odd combos before.
Thinking about it, would any MNC binding work?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking about it, would any MNC binding work?
I hope this article helps... Are you asking if the boot in the thread above would work with any MNC binding? It seems like it would, but I am not certain. I happen to have the shift binding, and it works with both my alpine and my touring dynafit style boot. Article about binding compatibility

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope this article helps... Are you asking if the boot in the thread above would work with any MNC binding? It seems like it would, but I am not certain. I happen to have the shift binding, and it works with both my alpine and my touring dynafit style boot. Article about binding compatibility
Thanks, I was just thinking that an MNC binding would be much cheaper than the shift (if the aim is an alpine type binding).

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all divas:-)
I know what are my boots for and also am not saying these are the boots Im gonna use. At the moment I have two kinds of boots. Both for tech bindings. Because touring has been my priority.. not resort skiing. That is why I do not have proper alpin skis:-))
If my boots do not fit I will buy ones for alpin binding so would work well.
:wink:

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
anyway..I do believe it will be hard work to find so comfortable alpine boots:becky:
maybe I try to rent first so can compare

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
I also did consider to buy Atomic Shift for freeride skiis. I compared Atomic Shift and Salomon Shift..look the same but recommended weight for skier is 66 kilograms. So I gave up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly