• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should I get the Volkl 90eight?

mustski

Angel Diva
was it Volkl 90eight W?
that "W" is very important because the model should be different compared to 90eight without "W"
The only difference between the 90eight and the 90eightW is the graphics. The skis themselves are identical. With the woman's version a shorter ski -156 - is available and with the mens two longer versions -177& 184. Personally, I purchased the men's version in 2016 because I liked blue better (I already had pink skis) and they were $100 cheaper than the women's model.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I spent two days last season on the Sheeva 10's in a lot of new rather heavy snow in Tahoe, and they were a blast! Good choice!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spent two days last season on the Sheeva 10's in a lot of new rather heavy snow in Tahoe, and they were a blast! Good choice!
Tried these a couple of weeks ago on firm conditions - really fun ski, couldn't get the smile off my face. Question if it's not hijacking the thread - are the Sheevas identical to the Rustlers?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Tried these a couple of weeks ago on firm conditions - really fun ski, couldn't get the smile off my face. Question if it's not hijacking the thread - are the Sheevas identical to the Rustlers?

Paging @lisamamot. She was demoing the Rustler last week, and I believe she said the rep did mention a difference between the cores perhaps? Not sure if she could feel the difference when skiing.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Question if it's not hijacking the thread - are the Sheevas identical to the Rustlers?
I believe she said the rep did mention a difference between the cores perhaps?

Yes the difference is in the core. All of Blizzard’s women’s skis are part of their W2W (women to women) program. They are supposed to use technology specifically for women, and designed with feedback from women. Their “women’s” core is the WSD (women’s specific design?) Flip Core, whereas the Rustler uses the “regular” Flip Core. I believe the biggest difference is weight...the women’s version is lighter.

Not sure about performance...I’d be interested in hearing @lisamamot account of skiing both.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes the difference is in the core. All of Blizzard’s women’s skis are part of their W2W (women to women) program. They are supposed to use technology specifically for women, and designed with feedback from women. Their “women’s” core is the WSD (women’s specific design?) Flip Core, whereas the Rustler uses the “regular” Flip Core. I believe the biggest difference is weight...the women’s version is lighter.

Not sure about performance...I’d be interested in hearing @lisamamot account of skiing both.
I did just demo the Rustler 9 172 (I own the Sheeva 9 172). The Rustler was a bit more glued to the snow and ever so slightly less playful than the Sheeva but still fantastic. If I had demoed them side-by-side I am not positive which one I would have chosen to buy. They didn’t have the Sheeva 9 to demo in my length and I had left mine at home - would have loved to do a back-to-back comparison!

My favorites of the 2020 Test Fest were the Nordica Astral 84ti, the Stöckli Stormrider 85, and the Rustler 9.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @lisamamot! If we get any more decent snow this season (which seems doubtful right now), I might see if I can try both, plus the Rustler in 180.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw a CL posting for a 2019 Rustler 9, 172, mounted with Griffin 13 ID bindings in NH.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have some Sheeva 9s in a 164 I'm selling.
As to the Sheeva 10s--I also have those that I had for sale for a brief period, but since I got new custom tongues in my boots, I LOVE them, so won't be selling them after all.

@lisamamot, the Astrals were a favorite of mine last year. Did you get on the Santa Ana 88? We finally had legit hardpack today, with a bit of ice, and they were stellar on it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As to the Sheeva 10s--I also have those that I had for sale for a brief period, but since I got new custom tongues in my boots, I LOVE them, so won't be selling them after all.
What was it about the new custom tongues in your boots that changed your mind about the Sheeva 10's? Were they hard to "drive" before and now easier?
More flex? Think you have Technica LV 95 or 105 right?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Did you get on the Santa Ana 88? We finally had legit hardpack today, with a bit of ice, and they were stellar on it.
I did demo the Santa Ana 88 and it is not for me - too plankish and not enough life in it. The Astral 84 has plenty of edge hold and stability for me and it was great fun as well. If I wanted something with a more glued to the snow feel, the Stöckli was so smooth but still very quick edge to edge - gave confidence with a smile.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What was it about the new custom tongues in your boots that changed your mind about the Sheeva 10's? Were they hard to "drive" before and now easier?
More flex? Think you have Technica LV 95 or 105 right?
So, I think every pair of skis were hard for me to engage the turn on without the tongues. As soon as I got them and got on snow, it was like, "oh! There's the tips of my skis!" So, even though the Sheevas are super easy to ski and playful, they felt "short". Now, they don't. It's been an amazing journey finding out how my freakishly low volume feet AND ankles on a frame that they should be two sizes bigger has affected my skiing, for sure. And yes, I'm in the Mach 1 95 LV.

I did demo the Santa Ana 88 and it is not for me - too plankish and not enough life in it. The Astral 84 has plenty of edge hold and stability for me and it was great fun as well. If I wanted something with a more glued to the snow feel, the Stöckli was so smooth but still very quick edge to edge - gave confidence with a smile.

I think I am discovering I like a ski that has a much more "glued to the snow" feeling (yes, they are quite heavy) which is why sometimes Volkl appeal to me but they are just too stiff. The Astrals were a very close 2nd to me when I skied them before, kinda wish I had gotten on them again just for comparison purposes. And Stockli--oohh yes, they have such a nice feel to them, and they are priced accordingly for sure!

I'll also add that the SA 88s had an OK tune on them from the factory--I skied them two full days with nothing but wax, and they did great. Got them tuned? They were quicker, easier, and more fun by a lot. I'm very spoiled for sure! :becky::love:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly