• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unsolicited Feedback from Man on Chairlift. Grrr....

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super annoying incident today, which only you guys will understand. I was at Belleayre going down Yahoo, a run which is labeled a double black but in terms of steepness feels to me like a hard blue or an easy black at a bigger mountain. The left half of the run, directly under the lift, was bumped up and the right half was groomed. I’m an advanced skier, and I have zero issues on steeps and with ice, but moguls are really not my strength. I haven’t encountered them much this season and I really wanted to practice, but I was worried about being embarrassed under the lift. I decided I didn’t care what people thought and I was going to ski the bumps and just take it slow. One thing I know about myself is that I can take anything at all if I go slow.

I’m picking my way down slowly and awkwardly, but I was 100% in control, when a man above me shouts “practice your turns where it’s safer!” He wasn’t ski patrol or a ski instructor — at least he wasn’t dressed as one — and something about his tone was incredibly condescending. Then, when I was getting on the lift at the base of the run, I hear someone call out from the crowd behind me, “I see you made it down alive!” I look up and it’s the same guy.

It was that second comment that put me over the edge. He may have thought he was being helpful with the first comment, but the second one was flat out obnoxious. You would never catch a woman acting that way. What makes some men think it’s ok? Grrr.

newboots

Angel Diva
They are pretty unhappy about losing their male privilege, and are pouting and hitting back. Including at the “highest levels” of society. (See how well I’m avoiding politics?)

I get really tired of the jerks, blowhards, bullies, and mansplaining fools out there. Does everyone remember where the discussion of “mansplaining” came from?

https://newrepublic.com/article/118555/rebecca-solnits-men-explain-things-me-scourge-mansplaining

This guy tried to tell her someone had written
a Really Important Book on a topic she mentioned, and it took very lengthy explanation and insistence before he could even hear Solnit and her friend saying it was HER book he was explaining to her. One of the great moments in feminist history.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I gotta say, there are advantages to being old and fat. I honestly have never been harassed on a ski lift. I have found that young guys are often super friendly and nice. But I have certainly been mansplained to!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No unwanted attention on the chairlift this season, but a guy called “good girl” at me out the window of his car when I was cycling home last week. I’m 43. He was stuck in a tailback going the opposite direction and I was probably frowning because the traffic was heavy and who likes cycling in heavy traffic? What on earth makes someone think he has the right to yell dubious encouragement at complete strangers? I was so surprised, I had passed before I even realised he was talking to me. I suppose it’s some small consolation that I had no chance to respond because I was travelling so much faster than he was.

newboots

Angel Diva
Good “girl.” What a dolt.

I’m really tired of this stuff. Some friends were commiserating about it the other day, and every story topped the last one. Ugh.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was buying this because I'm trying to stay away from beer for a while and thought it would make for affordable apres (the engraving was free, so I had fun with it). Maybe I should start carrying it in my pocket for whenever some dude starts mansplaining. Just look him in the eye, say nothing, and take a looooooong swig. They just turn and face forward, staring into the distance.

Screenshot 2019-04-01 20.42.11.png

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG I just got hit on during my bike commute home this evening. Who *does* that?? Guy pulls up next to me at a red light (no escape!), tells me I look fabulous and then asks for my number. Thank gollum the light turned green right after I said thanks but I’m married. Ugh. Dude, I’m 47. Just - no.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
OMG I just got hit on during my bike commute home this evening. Who *does* that?? Guy pulls up next to me at a red light (no escape!), tells me I look fabulous and then asks for my number. Thank gollum the light turned green right after I said thanks but I’m married. Ugh. Dude, I’m 47. Just - no.

What I don't get is why anyone would think this would work.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I prefer sarcastic encouragement to being hit on on my bike commute. It’s probably the same guys who think that helmet hair is the reason more women don’t cycle to work.

Sorry this has gone way off topic but I think the common theme is that if you are a women engaging in any kind of outdoor activity, you may encounter unsolicited feedback, commentary and even harassment. How to counter this? Call it out when we can and keep doing our thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna