• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MCP is out for 2019/2020

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Darn it! I have been seriously considering getting it for next season - Sun Valley was one of the resorts I wanted it for.

Jilly

Staff member
I was looking at the list and trying to figure out where you could do a 1 week trip for example. Since there are only 2 days/resort.

Not sure this is something I would use really.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking at the list and trying to figure out where you could do a 1 week trip for example. Since there are only 2 days/resort.

Not sure this is something I would use really.
If you buy it early you get to choose an extra day at one of the resorts. Alta and Snowbird are considered separate so if you buy it now you could get 5 days between those resorts. But it was better when Snowbasin was on it because then you get another two days at a mountain in the area.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The MCP just doesn't make sense to me anymore unless you want to drive all over and get to a ton of different resorts each season.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sun Valley and Snowbasin now part of EPIC .... I'm very sad about this. IKON is now a better deal than MCP.. IMO

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The MCP has been an amazing deal for our family's Western ski trips in the past two years. For $800 (2 adult passes and two $1 kid passes) we could get 8 days of skiing out West at 3 resorts very close to each other. This year we added in a separate Big Sky trip at Christmas and so 10 days of skiing for four people for $800 is an amazing deal. The mountain we ski most often in the East in not on the IKON or EPIC passes I don't think we can justify the significantly increased cost of either of these passes.

This year Snowbasin had the best snow of all the Utah mountains we skied and the least crowds, even on a powder day during the President's day week. I'm bummed they're leaving MCP. I'll have to give some real thought as to what pass makes the most sense for next season.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes the $1 kid passes were great but they don't have them this year. I was saying that THIS year the MCP doesn't make sense.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes the $1 kid passes were great but they don't have them this year. I was saying that THIS year the MCP doesn't make sense.
The MCP for 2019-20 is moving back towards where it was in the early years. The first kid price was $229. The next season after Whistler and Mammoth were added there was no kid price at all. Then came the $1 early bird promotion and the $99 final price.

Does seem that there is a push to encourage families to consider Ikon over MCP. Families are also probably more likely to plan only one ski vacation to a destination resort that includes 4-5 ski days.

The MCP has always made more sense for people who could make it to at least two locations. Breakeven for a longer trip required 6+ days of skiing when I started using the MCP for a spring break trip to Alta, plus a mid-season trip to a different region based on the MCP.

In the early years, MCP locations were deliberately effort spread across regions. Quite different from Epic, which was concentrated in Colorado and Tahoe. The MCP started with Aspen, Alta, JH, Squaw/Alpine in 2012-13. Adding the bonus day for 2014-15 meant getting 5 days at two destination resorts for just under $400, with 50% off for any additions days. Splitting Snowbird and Alta, and adding Snowbasin for 2017-18 was big change because someone could justify a full week of skiing around SLC based only on included days. However, that's already history with the owners of Snowbasin and Sun Valley deciding to be on Epic instead.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone going for the MCP for 2019-20? Or have you switched to Ikon?

I'm combining the Full Ikon with a midweek season pass for Alta, which I intend to visit more than once next season. So no MCP for me.

My ski buddy Bill went with a Taos Senior Pass plus Full Ikon. That gives him the 50% discount at MCP resorts. So no MCP for him.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just did the April 2019 survey for MCP. Since I said "no" about purchasing for 2019-20, there weren't too many questions.

The list of locations of interest to add are interesting. Jay or Whiteface in the northeast would certainly get the attention of some advanced skiers who might otherwise just go for Ikon. For the west, Targhee would be great for early season and Bachelor for late season. Now that A-Basin is no longer tied to Epic, that opens up the possibility of the MCP for both early and late season turns.

West: Mt. Baker, Mt. Bachelor, Whitefish, Grand Targhee, Powder Mountain, Arapahoe Basin; Sun Peaks and Red Mountain in BC

East: Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Loon, Jay Peak, Killington, Whiteface

marzNC

Angel Diva
West: Mt. Baker, Mt. Bachelor, Whitefish, Grand Targhee, Powder Mountain, Arapahoe Basin; Sun Peaks and Red Mountain in BC

East: Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Loon, Jay Peak, Killington, Whiteface

Those are the locations you would like to add? You listed Whitefish and about gave me a heart attack. I thought that was the locations covered by the pass. Whew!
Not locations that I would like to add. They are the locations that are part of the survey being sent to 2018-19 MCP holders. The survey asks people to rank those potential location in order of interest. For me, Bachelor, Targhee, and PowMow are of more interest than Whitefish. Partially because flying to SLC works for me. Bachelor as a late, late season trip works for me because I have good friends who live in southern Oregon. Plus I really enjoyed Bachelor last May even though it was really at the tail end of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly