• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found it quite uncomfortable but not painful, but I didn't have the tongue done.
@contesstant Not True! Even after childbirth; dental stuff can be a nightmare!

@SquidWeaselYay Have you skied with them yet? How did that go?
Oh, dental! Ack!

And yes, we want a report!
The tongues have transformed my skiing in two days. I can't get over how much more control I have!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Geezooogawd. So basically I only had 4mm of room behind my heel in the shell fit. Just squeezing my foot with toe caps into the boot and liner before the foaming was intense. Thankfully my toes started to go numb after about a minute, so the pain subsided a bit.

Then came the foaming. The added pressure itself wasn't painful, but since my toes were crammed into toe caps and I had padding on my mini bunions, it flared up all that pain again. All in all I think I was only standing I them for 20-25 minutes, but my legs were shaking a bit by the end from trying to hold still. Dieter said I did really well though, and that he has had men tearing up when they downsized and got foamed. His comment was "we are putting 3 pounds into a 1 pound bag essentially." DH said he didn't even know it hurt cause I kept talking to everybody... To distract myself so I wouldn't curse lol.

Taking them off was the worst part pain wise. Dieter and Kim and I all had to work together to get them off, they are sooooo tight.

After that Dieter ground out a tiny bit of the toe to give me a very, very tiny bit more length for my big toes. Then he installed my booster straps from my old boots and declared me ready to rock and roll.

I didn't get a chance to try them, the whole process took 3 hours. It is supposed to snow tomorrow so I plan to take them out to Roundtop. He said not to judge anything until after 2 days, and that the first day will absolutely suck because we downsized me so much.

I will report back tomorrow!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Geezooogawd. So basically I only had 4mm of room behind my heel in the shell fit. Just squeezing my foot with toe caps into the boot and liner before the foaming was intense. Thankfully my toes started to go numb after about a minute, so the pain subsided a bit.

Then came the foaming. The added pressure itself wasn't painful, but since my toes were crammed into toe caps and I had padding on my mini bunions, it flared up all that pain again. All in all I think I was only standing I them for 20-25 minutes, but my legs were shaking a bit by the end from trying to hold still. Dieter said I did really well though, and that he has had men tearing up when they downsized and got foamed. His comment was "we are putting 3 pounds into a 1 pound bag essentially." DH said he didn't even know it hurt cause I kept talking to everybody... To distract myself so I wouldn't curse lol.

Taking them off was the worst part pain wise. Dieter and Kim and I all had to work together to get them off, they are sooooo tight.

After that Dieter ground out a tiny bit of the toe to give me a very, very tiny bit more length for my big toes. Then he installed my booster straps from my old boots and declared me ready to rock and roll.

I didn't get a chance to try them, the whole process took 3 hours. It is supposed to snow tomorrow so I plan to take them out to Roundtop. He said not to judge anything until after 2 days, and that the first day will absolutely suck because we downsized me so much.

I will report back tomorrow!

Yeah, my first day in my Chakras was pretty uncomfortable. In the end, we had to do some more grinding/punching to get them where they needed to be.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Overall, how does the fit feel?
What I'm hoping for you is that the fit and control is so good, that any discomfort for a day or two will be overshadowed! I will say, mine did not hurt from day 1, but the tongues bothered me the first day I skied them, but were better yesterday and gave me that added piece of the puzzle that elevated my skiing in two days.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Overall, how does the fit feel?
What I'm hoping for you is that the fit and control is so good, that any discomfort for a day or two will be overshadowed! I will say, mine did not hurt from day 1, but the tongues bothered me the first day I skied them, but were better yesterday and gave me that added piece of the puzzle that elevated my skiing in two days.
It doesn't ::hurt:: when I have them on, but it is not conformable. Lots of pressure all around. He said they will pack out a little bit, so grin and bear it the first two days.

This is good though. This is the tightest fit I have ever had. I'm going to hut the slopes here shortly, I will give you guys an update then.

@contesstant I'm hoping I have the same experience you did where it transforms my skiing experience!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: ow.

Suuuuuuuper tight fit, painful at the outside of the midfoot, like it is almost too narrow now. Also toe pain at my big toes. And I actually still have a bit of heel lift in my left boot...a tiny bit. Also, I need to try taking the bolt out in the back too. It got a little colder out and the boot stiffened up a good bit.

Fitter told me to not judge anything until I have skied them for 2 days because the foam will pack out a bit. So I'm going to try to get out again tomorrow and see what happens.

The good: much more responsive. My first couple of runs when it was warmer were pretty good in spite of the pain. I am hoping my office closes tomorrow so that I can come up and give it another go.

I hope I can ride out the pain till it works. I don't think I will lose toenails, but I'll check for bruising tomorrow morning.

mustski

Angel Diva
Not to contradict your boot fitter, but I have over 30 days in my liners and they have not packed out. In fact, I am going back in April to have some instep pressure relieved.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to contradict your boot fitter, but I have over 30 days in my liners and they have not packed out. In fact, I am going back in April to have some instep pressure relieved.
..... Yikes. I'm hoping it does a bit....he said if it doesn't or it isn't enough, he can inject some acetone to soften hot spots.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: ow.

Suuuuuuuper tight fit, painful at the outside of the midfoot, like it is almost too narrow now. Also toe pain at my big toes. And I actually still have a bit of heel lift in my left boot...a tiny bit. Also, I need to try taking the bolt out in the back too. It got a little colder out and the boot stiffened up a good bit.

Fitter told me to not judge anything until I have skied them for 2 days because the foam will pack out a bit. So I'm going to try to get out again tomorrow and see what happens.

The good: much more responsive. My first couple of runs when it was warmer were pretty good in spite of the pain. I am hoping my office closes tomorrow so that I can come up and give it another go.

I hope I can ride out the pain till it works. I don't think I will lose toenails, but I'll check for bruising tomorrow morning.

Yeah, he had me do the same thing. Ski a couple days before coming back. If after a couple days, things still hurt in places, definitely take them back for some grinding/punching/tweaks. When you say your big toes hurt do you mean the tip of the toe or like the top of the toe? I never had issues with the front tip of my toe pressing into the front of the boot, but I had issues with the top of the boot pressing into the top of my big toe. We had to grind the footboard down (get my foot a bit lower in the boot) to get the pressure off the top of my big toes.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

He had me do the same thing with my Intuition liners/Chakras and I always assumed it was more of a get a good feel for them, let everything settle in a bit before we start doing more with them sort of thing.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a pair of thinner socks you can try at least temporarily? Which liners? The Comfort Foam? (That's what I have.)

Overall, did you like the performance of the whole package?

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is at the end of my big toe, line the boot is too short. He expected that, but wanted me to ski them more before we do a stretch.

I am already in the thinnest wool sock I have. Could probably try those panty hose socks and see if that helps for the first few days.

The performance was better! I had more control, but I almost didn't know what to do with that much control lol. The first two runs I had to just feel it out because I could be much more subtle with my movement.

It kinda sucks that I was so focused on the discomfort though. If they break in a bit more and the pain spots get a little better, this will be awesome. I still may need a bit of padding on the foam tongue though. The poor thing is as full as it gets around my ankle and i still have a bit of heel lift on my left boot. But don't get me wrong, it is waaaaaayyy better in the sense that I'm certainly not swimming in this boot.

mustski

Angel Diva
He had me do the same thing with my Intuition liners/Chakras and I always assumed it was more of a get a good feel for them, let everything settle in a bit before we start doing more with them sort of thing.
Absolutely. It’s always necessary to ski them for a few days first. The difference is that intuition liners DO pack out. I just quite aware because I was hoping mine would pack out enough to make room for hotronics or hotronics socks. Not yet. Luckily I ski mostly CA and it’s not deadly cold.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely. It’s always necessary to ski them for a few days first. The difference is that intuition liners DO pack out. I just quite aware because I was hoping mine would pack out enough to make room for hotronics or hotronics socks. Not yet. Luckily I ski mostly CA and it’s not deadly cold.

Well, not in a couple days. lol. I've got 75+ days on mine and they're still about the same as day 1 as far as I can tell. I was just trying to say I think his point was more to give it a chance to all settle in and get a feel for what the issues are than any significant amount of packing out of liners. He can be kinda tentative to punch or grind right off the bat b/c once you do you can't really undo it.

mustski

Angel Diva
Well, not in a couple days. lol. I've got 75+ days on mine and they're still about the same as day 1 as far as I can tell. I was just trying to say I think his point was more to give it a chance to all settle in and get a feel for what the issues are than any significant amount of packing out of liners. He can be kinda tentative to punch or grind right off the bat b/c once you do you can't really undo it.
I totally get that. I'm not criticizing Deiter. He sounds like a top notch boot fitter. Your shells must be an excellent fit because your liners have packed in by now. Packing out can take years. My intuitions revealed boot problems in about 4 days.

I'm just advising the OP not to live with pain for long because it's not going to go away with these liners.
@SquidWeaselYay How do the boots feel if completely unbuckled? I ask because, like you, I was used to having to crank down on boot buckles and it took awhile for me to figure out the difference in buckling. I have settled on - tight strap, top buckle finger tight, ankle buckle secure but not tight, instep and toe barely finger tight. I still have a hot spot on my instep but that is because I have a high instep. I could actually ski with every buckle open but the ankle buckle. I don't because I'm not secure enough in steeper terrain or 3D snow! I just don't have that skill set.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally get that. I'm not criticizing Deiter. He sounds like a top notch boot fitter. I'm just advising the OP not to live with pain for long because it's not going to go away with these liners.
@SquidWeaselYay How do the boots feel if completely unbuckled? I ask because, like you, I was used to having to crank down on boot buckles and it took awhile for me to figure out the difference in buckling. I have settled on - tight strap, top buckle finger tight, ankle buckle secure but not tight, instep and toe barely finger tight. I still have a hot spot on my instep but that is because I have a high instep. I could actually ski with every buckle open but the ankle buckle. I don't because I'm not secure enough in steeper terrain or 3D snow! I just don't have that skill set.

Oh yeah, for sure. I went back to right away after two days in them b/c my feet were screaming. No point in making yourself miserable when stuff can be tweaked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly