• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Seamless base layer leggings?

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hey Divas,

In my pursuit of making my legs/feet as comfortable as possible, I'm now addressing layers. I tried compression socks (which someone here recommended) which I think did really well for my calves. However, I think my base layer leggings might need to be changed out. I have Under Armour cold gear leggings that I really like (I'm very warm), BUT they leave quite the seam imprint down my legs.

Any recommendations for warm leggings that DON'T have seams? I contemplated the capri length ones as well, but I feel like I'll be more comfortable in general with a layer between my boots and skin. I've been doing some online searches, but I'm a big review fan :smile: Not opposed to something I can get off of Amazon Prime (heading out this weekend) and I also have an REI near me (love a good in-store pick-up).

Thanks!

Jenny

Angel Diva
You're probably going to hear from everyone here that you should only have your socks in your boots . . .

I wear capri length polar fleece and if it's cold enough that I wear another layer the one I have is long and I just pull it up so they're capri length, too. That works because I have scrawny calves and the layer isn't tight, but I can see where that could be uncomfortable.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Echoing what @Jenny said, the only layer you should have inside of your boots is your ski sock. I think this is mostly for the reason you are seeking out alternatives, most items in your boot are going to leave marks and cause discomfort when they are buckled in there, especially around your ankle bones. I'd also be worried about creating space around my ankle by sticking more stuff in there and packing out the liner with it. I also wear an ultralight sock to have as little between me and the boot as possible. (I do have Hotronics in my footbed for warmth!)

I wear all capri length base/mid layers. My usual is a CW-X compression baselayer and then I might add either a light Smartwool mid layer or a Hot Chillys polar fleece mid layer if needed based on temperature under my shell pants. My Hot Chillys are not a true capri, but they are short and stretchy enough that I can also pull them up over my boots when I wear them, they are so so toasty warm.

Last edited:

knolan12

Angel Diva
Ah okay maybe I'll try the capris haha My only fear with them is that I don't want them hitting my calf muscle (I have pretty thick/muscular calves) so I'll try searching for some that are shorter. I'll look up these brands, thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ah okay maybe I'll try the capris haha My only fear with them is that I don't want them hitting my calf muscle (I have pretty thick/muscular calves) so I'll try searching for some that are shorter. I'll look up these brands, thanks!

Probably a good idea to try them on then to make sure you are comfortable! Mine seem to mostly end right above my calf muscle except the Hot Chillys that are longer and end I pull right to the top of my boot cuff, but I do have a long lower leg bone so it's definitely anatomy specific! I'd also suggest trying on with your ski socks to make sure the lengths mesh well. I really hate getting a draft on exposed skin between my sock and baselayer if the baselayer rides up, so I like to make sure my capris cover at least a few inches of the sock to keep everything covered. This past Monday I was skiing and my baselayer did this (not sure why because it's really uncommon that they move), suddenly had icy air coming up from under my pants on a small slit of exposed ski that was an unwelcome surprise!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have larger calves as well. I have a few baselayer bottoms that come to just below my knee, but for those that don't, I just fold up the entire bottom part of the legs so that the ankle part is just below my knee. That gets all of it out of my boot, and I don't find the ankle band restricting at the knee.
Smartwool used to make a "legless" tight which wasn't really legless, it came just below the knee, but it seems to have been discontinued. Right now Steep and Cheep has a similar one by Stoic in a merino blend.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correction to the above-- Icebreaker makes the legless, not Smartwool, and you can still get them.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely love these Odlo Blackcomb bottoms! They're on sale right now at your friendly REI and I think they tick all the boxes mentioned in this thread. They are seamless, stretchy without losing their shape, and warm. Once you put them on, you completely forget they are there. I have the full length version and it is super easy and comfortable to pull up above my boots while skiing or down to my ankle for full leg warmth. I also love love love this Odlo top with a built in face mask! For me, it is base layer perfection. I was full on Helly Hansen before, but I believe I like the Odlo even better. Check 'em out :smile:

Last edited:

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Capris are great. I made the switch and never went back. My feet are WARMER since not jamming a full length layer into my boots (as I was taught to do as a kid) or scrunching them up around my knees.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear smartwool 3/4 length for cold days or under shell pants, and Helly Hansen 3/4 length Lifa capris under my insulated pants or on warm spring days.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I wear Icebreaker capris, sometimes multiple layers of them, depending on the temperature.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New to the forum, but lurking for a few years. I've been using the Smartwool Capris for colder weather and EMS (techwick?) capri for warmer weather. I've also used silk capris (LLB) as an extra layer under the smartwool.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear 3/4 capris as well and highly recommend whatever material you feel best in. I’ve worn my Smartwool Run PhD capris, Icebreaker 3/4, Hot Chilly 3/4 and have always cut my own UA Coldgear leggings to my specs. Those UA’s are compression and definitely leave seam marks on the skin.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have 3 pairs of lighter weight icebreaker capris and 1 pair of thick smart wool capris. That's all i need... I threw everything else out. Wear mostly icebreaker base layer tops as well but sadly can't get good prices like I used to at STP.
Also bought 2 icebreaker sports bras before swiss trip and wore them everyday and washed out overnight - dry in the morning on those awesome heated towel bars in MOST rooms in Switzerland!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly