• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Warmest ski mittens?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm doing a happy dance!! I just won a pair of the Super Nova heated gloves!!!! I got an email a bit ago and it's on their FB page!

"Abbi Seward of Warwick, Rhode Island is the February winner of our SUPERNOVA heated gloves monthly giveaway, celebrating the arrival of our new flagship heated glove. For more info on the giveaway: www.chavalusa.com/giveaway CONGRATULATIONS ABBI!" :yahoo:
Nice!

newboots

Angel Diva
Nobody deserves to be warm more than you!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Congratulations @Abbi ! That is fantastic :thumb:

lucy

Angel Diva
Hestra power mitts are my new favorite thing. The mitt is well made and warm on its own without turning on the heater. Fingers are happy and comfortable in single digits ( 2 F) weather at level two without liners. Usually, I wear size 9 to fit in a chemical pack and thin liner, but I wear a size 8 in the power mitts because I don't need space for a chemical pack and the heater is on the back (?) of the glove so you want a closer fit. There is some loss of dexterity because it's a mitt, but the leather is classic Hestra and they work well with the Leki trigger pole harness. The battery is split into two pieces for a low profile that hides in the cuff. Battery life is a downside... they need to recharge after each ski day... and there's really no way that the cuff will fit under my ski jacket. (I have a low tolerance for cold and Raynaud fingers. DH is very happy because I don't complain about cold fingers anymore.) Hope this helps!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I know this thread is about mittens, but I have Hestra mitts but sadly TSA opened my bag and now I only have one glove. Any ideas for gore-tex gloves?

kiki

Angel Diva
I was forced to buy Hestra heli mitts ($200 Canadian, ouch) from the resort shop 2 weeks ago at Revelstoke when the top of the Stoke chairlift was -32degC (with windchill). It was agony. The Hestras do have removable fleecy liner mitts, but I found wearing a pair of ultra thin silk liner gloves under those works even better. I used chemical warmers inside the mitts on that really cold day and they kept my fingers toasty, though my thumbs still went numb. I've no idea how waterproof they are, though it's snowed quite a bit since I've been in Canada and they haven't leaked so, so far so good. I hate making desperation purchases without some decent research and buying options, but it was either that or no skiing. I haven't found the lack of dexterity too annoying, as ski gloves generally aren't that great either. Not as great a difference as I'd feared, anyway.
Hi @Magnatude ! How did you find these gloves performing over the balance of the season? I tried a pair of the 5 finger version of the Hestra heli gloves and love the fit but a bit worried about the waterproofness as they are not gortex. I ski in the PNW and it seems most days my gloves are wet through by lunch....would love to hear your experience.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi:
I have several pairs of Hestra leather gloves/mitts and ski Utah with them. I treat them with the leather balm made by Hestra depending on how much I skiing and conditions they’ve never failed me.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Kiki, I still find the Hestra mitts very warm, but they're most definitely not fully waterproof, even when I do remember to wax them. One day this season I soaked through 2 pairs of mitts/gloves (including the Hestras) in a morning of teaching. I now use some non-leather Burton Goretex gloves, and they've not only proved to be very watertight, but also very warm. In some of the variable weather conditions (i.e. rain and wet snow) we get here in NZ, leather can be something of a sponge, and it also takes ages to dry.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chaval heated gloves. Sometimes I have to turn them off, which is amazing with the Raynauds which plagues me. They are crazy expensive and I probably would not have paid to own them. I lucked onto a pair on a Facebook drawing!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi Kiki, I still find the Hestra mitts very warm, but they're most definitely not fully waterproof, even when I do remember to wax them. One day this season I soaked through 2 pairs of mitts/gloves (including the Hestras) in a morning of teaching. I now use some non-leather Burton Goretex gloves, and they've not only proved to be very watertight, but also very warm. In some of the variable weather conditions (i.e. rain and wet snow) we get here in NZ, leather can be something of a sponge, and it also takes ages to dry.
I have had the same experience. Hestra mitts are very warm but definitely not waterproof. Purchased some Burton Gortex mittens with glove liners at Diva West Mammoth last year during very wet snowstorm and they stayed dry!

kiki

Angel Diva
For the hestra glives what is the difference between using the hestra balm and using the nikiwax stuff?

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
I am looking to switch over from gloves to mitts for cold days. Debating between some
Hestras and after reading this thread the BD mercury. But does anyone have the Therm-ic heated mitts (preferably the newest style since I hear some of the older ones have had issues). Are they worth it?

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Warmest I have found is a mitten with a glove liner. Make sure they are large enough to let air flow (traps heat) and I prefer a liner with a pocket for handwarmers. A lot of people don't realize that if your hands sweat, they will then get cold. I also switch out gloves or liners at lunch, and make sure they are dried for the next day, like boots. I have had some warm cheap ones, and cold expensive ones. Unfortunately you can't demo them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got a pair of Seirus Heatwave Liner Gloves last fall. Best gloves liners I've ever used. They are "reflective" in some way. Whatever the technical fabric, they work very well. Haven't needed mittens even in single digits this winter. I know mittens are warmer, but I prefer gloves.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have a pair of Burton gore Tex mitts with liners. They are better than my gloves but my fingers can still get cold during frigid temps. I can easily curl them inside the mitts to warm up. I can also stick hand warmers inside but I always forget to bring some with me. I had a pair of Swany leather gloves I really liked as gloves but my fingers kept getting cold so switched to mittens.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have a pair of Burton gore Tex mitts with liners. They are better than my gloves but my fingers can still get cold during frigid temps. I can easily curl them inside the mitts to warm up. I can also stick hand warmers inside but I always forget to bring some with me. I had a pair of Swany leather gloves I really liked as gloves but my fingers kept getting cold so switched to mittens.

Put those hand warmers in your ski bag, and a couple more in the pockets of your jacket. They can make life so much better. I have OR mittens with red, down-filled gloves inside. Add hand warmer. The skiing was great, but I found it almost impossible to get my hands back in the straps at the top of the hill. Luckily, I’m the recipient of hand-me-down Hestra heated gloves. They happen to fit perfectly. They are wonderful!

JO-ski

Certified Ski Diva
I have a pair of Kombi mitts and this is my second season with them. They're pretty warm. Last winter I skied in -20C weather a few times and my hands were still toasty all day. I know they're not super pro brand and I'm not sure I'd recommend going back country or to the Alps or anything with them. But they serve me well enough with no complaints!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly