• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I'm back from Alpina. Let me just say first and foremost that Dieter was a really down to earth guy. None of the arrogant doucheyness I've come to expect from boot fitters. But he also didn't BS me either, which I appreciated.

So first he looked at the shell fit on my x max boots - too much space in there behind my heel, especially for having downsized. He had me try on a Dalbello Chakra 95 in a 22.5....toes scrunched. So to do an "experiment" he heated up the intuitions and stuck me in them with toe caps. Ow. But then afterward he had me try them again to see if my toes were flat, and they were. Couldn't get my heel all the way seated into the heel pocket though. He said that the Chakra isn't the boot for me (bc my heel to instep ratio measures at about 21), but that he thinks he can get me into a 22 boot.

Next up, technica mach 1 LV 95 in a 22. Shell fit left me with about 4mm of space behind my heel. He had me try them with the liners. Again, just like last time I tried this boot, the top of the liner bit into my shin while flexing. Also my toes were squished, but less so than in the Chakra.

Ultimately he concluded that a boot doc liner is going to be the only way to fix the instep problem, and that putting me in the smallest possible shell (with potential shell work to accommodate my toes) is the best fix for my last and LV-ness. His wife and one of the other fitters were pretty surprised at the level of LV of my feet lol.

The problem: He wants to put me in a model of boot docs that have a foamable tongue, which he does not stock. He also is not sure if they make a liner in a 22.5. He called one of the boot doc guys in Vermont while I was there to ask him to look into it. If they do carry it, he is going to order it and put me in the Mach 1 LV 22. If not, the plan is to put me in a 23 shell and foam the boot doc liners extra. He is going to give me a call on Monday or Tuesday to let me know once he gets an answer about the liner sizing. I may be looking at having to get another custom insole made (argh) if the instaprints are too high volume or big for the downsizing. I showed him the old superfeet custom insoles and he threw them straight into the garbage "where they belong" lol. (They were torn up from having the hotronics removed and worthless, just had them still in my boot bag and showed him what I had before the instaprints.)

I'm a little nervous about downsizing this much, I don't want to lose toenails again. But Dieter seems to know what he is doing and he teaches workshops for boot doc, so I'm going to go with his judgment.

He also said that my x max 110s were too stiff for my height and weight, even if I had been a true expert (I'm not). He said that he wouldn't put me in anything over 95, and that the boot doc liners will stiffen the boots a bit, so I may even need the 95 softened.

So no new boots today, but we have a game plan that does NOT involve shims and tongue padding. Or a race plug.
Welcome to the club LOL. That's awesome that he was upfront and it sounds like he's confident in his decision.

I believe he is correct that only 2 of the BD liners come in a 22. You can buy the foamable tongues separately, but of course that would add even more to your cost.

When will you be able to get all of this taken care of? I think you'll LOVE the liners, and the Mach 1s are about the only shell that works for me, too.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So turns out my women's camp instructor does boot fitting in the spring and summer. I plan on getting fitted as soon as possible in April. I'm currently in a Lange XT 80 LV. With about 60 days on them, they're definitely more loose and I really have to crank them down. I'm following this thread with great interest. Best of luck to you @SquidWeaselYay and thanks for sharing your experiences.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to the club LOL. That's awesome that he was upfront and it sounds like he's confident in his decision.

I believe he is correct that only 2 of the BD liners come in a 22. You can buy the foamable tongues separately, but of course that would add even more to your cost.

When will you be able to get all of this taken care of? I think you'll LOVE the liners, and the Mach 1s are about the only shell that works for me, too.
@contesstant I actually was thinking of you on the drive home! "Gosh, her and I will be boot twins."

Completely makes sense though. You are the only other person I have come across that has the same problems that I do.

He mentioned that a new liner is coming out that has a foamable tongue included, but he doesn't know when it comes out, so he is seeing if he can get ahold of it.

If all goes according to plan, we may be able to do it next weekend. He said that once he orders the liner, it will get there pretty quickly. I'm soooooooo wanting to get it done before we go to Big Sky. I want a redemption shot skiing out west after spending so much time at the boot fitting bench in Jackson Hole.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So turns out my women's camp instructor does boot fitting in the spring and summer. I plan on getting fitted as soon as possible in April. I'm currently in a Lange XT 80 LV. With about 60 days on them, they're definitely more loose and I really have to crank them down. I'm following this thread with great interest. Best of luck to you @SquidWeaselYay and thanks for sharing your experiences.
Ugh, I know the feeling of cranking buckles, moving the bales, then comes the shims and padding.... That is pretty good to get 60 days out of a stock liner...I usually get about 3-7 before I'm tightening all the things. Good luck to you too!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I actually was thinking of you on the drive home! "Gosh, her and I will be boot twins."

Completely makes sense though. You are the only other person I have come across that has the same problems that I do.

He mentioned that a new liner is coming out that has a foamable tongue included, but he doesn't know when it comes out, so he is seeing if he can get ahold of it.

If all goes according to plan, we may be able to do it next weekend. He said that once he orders the liner, it will get there pretty quickly. I'm soooooooo wanting to get it done before we go to Big Sky. I want a redemption shot skiing out west after spending so much time at the boot fitting bench in Jackson Hole.

Ahh yes, I did hear there are some updates coming and that I should try to wait until next season. I would LOVE a foamable tongue. I'm going to get new ones that are molded for these boots, and not the Heads.
@contesstant How painful was the foaming process? Are the liners cold? Dieter mentioned that they tend to be colder, even more so than zip fits.

It wasn't painful. I don't know if the liners are any colder than anything else, but I have boot heaters so it's not really an issue for me. I think they're all cold! :laughter:

mustski

Angel Diva
@contesstant How painful was the foaming process? Are the liners cold? Dieter mentioned that they tend to be colder, even more so than zip fits.
Yes. They are colder. I have never wanted hotronics before but my feet are cold in boot docs and it's too late for me because I have no room. If you want hotronics, do it at the same time! There is a lot of pressure with the foaming but no pain; let him take you all the way as you want to take up volume.

Also, it is excellent that Dieter holds workshops for others. That is what you want. There are too many "fitters" trying to do boot docs that screw it up. It's a one shot deal and needs someone experienced.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. They are colder. I have never wanted hotronics before but my feet are cold in boot docs and it's too late for me because I have no room. If you want hotronics, do it at the same time! There is a lot of pressure with the foaming but no pain; let him take you all the way as you want to take up volume.

Also, it is excellent that Dieter holds workshops for others. That is what you want. There are too many "fitters" trying to do boot docs that screw it up. It's a one shot deal and needs someone experienced.
I have hotronics in my current boots. If we use my current insoles, no problem. If it is too big for the new shells, I will have to get a new one, I think he said a sidas race one? He isn't sure if the heating elements will come cleanly off the instaprints. Sometimes the adhesive takes the foam with it, so I might need new elements.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have hotronics in my current boots. If we use my current insoles, no problem. If it is too big for the new shells, I will have to get a new one, I think he said a sidas race one? He isn't sure if the heating elements will come cleanly off the instaprints. Sometimes the adhesive takes the foam with it, so I might need new elements.
Do it. It's worth it. I have no regrets about spending the money for boot docs. I have a slight circulation problem and have to go back for some tweaks. I plan to go in April. I know that circulation is important but, frankly, I don't care as much as I should. For the first time in my life I can depend on my left boot. My right boot has always been fine and the left one a nightmare. I am struggling to work out some bad habits that I developed by compensating for that left foot all these years. I just wish that I had known they would be so cold. I would have purchased hotronics.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it. It's worth it. I have no regrets about spending the money for boot docs. I have a slight circulation problem and have to go back for some tweaks. I plan to go in April. I know that circulation is important but, frankly, I don't care as much as I should. For the first time in my life I can depend on my left boot. My right boot has always been fine and the left one a nightmare. I am struggling to work out some bad habits that I developed by compensating for that left foot all these years. I just wish that I had known they would be so cold. I would have purchased hotronics.
Good advice.

I can't wait to take lessons with boots that fit. I know I have developed some bad habits with years of bad boot fit.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mustski maybe done regret those hotronics just yet... Lots of bot fitters including Dieter are saying that the hotronics heated socks are superior, better than boot heaters installed on the insoles. I'm not sure if you would have room for those in your boots or not, but it seems they have some advantages.

Skisailor

Angel Diva

What days are you going to be here in Big Sky!?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SquidWeaselYay it sounds like you found your bootfitter. Keep this guy forever! It may take time and numerous visits to him, but everything you've described sounds like you have someone who knows what he's doing and who wants to put you in a performance fit. I have never regretted spending $$ (lots of it) on my last boots. Boot fit matters more than anything else.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skisailor I will be there March 10-17th. DH and I are super excited, it looks HUGE. Are you from around there?

@liquidfeet Good to know it sounds like the right path. Like I said, I am nervous about only 4mm of space behind my heel, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. He himself has downsized from a 29 to a 27. I give a lot of credit to @tinymoose for steering me towards him. It has been so different (in a good way) from all my fittings before. For boots that work, a 4-5 hour roundtrip drive is worth it.

I mean, I've driven that far just to get some good thai food.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To change topics - during my Taos ski week I was told I may have been in too soft of a boot because of my stance in ski boots. My boots had over a 100 days on them at that point so I getting to the point it was just about time for new boots. I went to Dieter at Alpina last night for bootfitting and it turns out that the flex may not be as much of an issue, but perhaps that I needed boots with a taller cuff, I also wanted more upright boots that were a bit stiffer than my current Nordica GPX 95. Dieter put me in men's Dalbello Krypton 120 boots that have heat moldable intuition liners. They fit very well in the shop, have very nice progressive flex, we shall see how they feel when I ski tomorrow!
I am pleased to report that the new boots work well! They are more responsive than my old boots and I love the upright stance and progressive flex they have. The extra toe room took some getting used to, but overall I think they are great.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skisailor I will be there March 10-17th. DH and I are super excited, it looks HUGE. Are you from around there?

@liquidfeet Good to know it sounds like the right path. Like I said, I am nervous about only 4mm of space behind my heel, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. He himself has downsized from a 29 to a 27. I give a lot of credit to @tinymoose for steering me towards him. It has been so different (in a good way) from all my fittings before. For boots that work, a 4-5 hour roundtrip drive is worth it.

I mean, I've driven that far just to get some good thai food.

I'm just glad it worked out so well for you and hope you can get it all squared away very soon. :smile: As someone who went through a lot of boots and tears over them the first few years, it's nice to finally find a solution.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mentioned it to my family doc 2 years ago, and he said that I can't expect to feel like I'm 18 my whole life, and to take a multivitamin. I do take them, but I don't think I need them, I eat really healthy. He kinda dismissed it and told me to keep exercising.
That is the worst advice I've ever heard. Find a new doctor. I feel better in my mid 50's than I've ever felt in my life!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is the worst advice I've ever heard. Find a new doctor. I feel better in my mid 50's than I've ever felt in my life!
I went back to him about a week ago. It went.... Pretty much the way I expected. He actually tried to convince me that I had depression or anxiety that was making me think I had physical ailments. He kept talking over me, and then I finally just ignored his interruption and told him about my masters degree in the psychology field and my work with kids with diagnoses that he stopped pushing me as hard. I know what those things look like and I do not have them.

He did finally agree to order some lab tests for me, but he wrote them out while saying that he doesn't expect to find anything from them anyway.

I'm going to get the labs done and then I am NEVER GOING BACK. I'm afraid I would make a scene if that happened again. I had such a headache upon leaving from clenching my jaw the whole time.

So much for giving somebody a second chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly