• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Makeup for workouts

Jenny

Angel Diva
I like makeup, but the thought of special workout makeup is a bit much.

Just went back to the article and now I can't read it - it wants me to sign in. Hope that’s not a problem for others. Maybe you get one free read. Anyway, I was going back to check on a couple of things that stood out for me. First, I think it's too bad that the women athletes have to think about how they look will affect endorsements, and not just how they perform. And second, how no one is busy making makeup for the male athletes to wear so they "look good", too.

It's actually the marketing it as workout makeup that bothers me. I actually like the idea of makeup with a high level of sunscreen, just for regular wear. And if it doesn’t rub off on collars then that's great, too. (Not that that’s a huge problem, but I do thnk about it.)

Last edited:

lucy

Angel Diva
Doesn't wearing make up when you workout take away from the great pore cleansing detox that happens through good, clean sweat? Besides, it took me years to have enough self confidence to go without make up during a workout that I feel it would be a step backward to capitulate.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Doesn't wearing make up when you workout take away from the great pore cleansing detox that happens through good, clean sweat? Besides, it took me years to have enough self confidence to go without make up during a workout that I feel it would be a step backward to capitulate.
The article mentions that, too.

mustski

Angel Diva
To me this is just pretty funny. This kind of make up has existed for years ... it's call theatrical/dance make up. I don't mean the heavy duty grease paint from the olden days, but a lighter, water based alternative that we have been using for quite awhile. Trust me - dance is a heck of a workout and they can't afford to have their make up run or smear mid performance. As an additional plus, the guys wear it too!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never ski in makeup, and hardly put much on for apres. But I always wear a full face of makeup for work. Drove up to VT on a Friday last season and went to one of my favorite apres spots to grab dinner. None of my ski friends recognized me! Now in their defense I was also wearing glasses (I drive in them but don't ski in them) and did not have helmet hair.
The only time I work out in makeup is when I go to the gym after work, which is mostly when I go to the gym. It's a truly awful moment for all witnesses when I forget I'm wearing makeup and wipe the sweat off my face with my shirt.

lucy

Angel Diva
The article mentions that, too.
Nice! I couldn't read the article past the click this link to read more button. Glad others didn't have the same issue.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't read the article, but screw that. I wear make-up when I feel like it. Always for power meetings (if I'm wearing a suit I'm wearing make-up) but other than that it's a day by day thing. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't wear make-up like foundation or blush when I work out or ski, but I always wear mascara. My eyes just look like they're not even there if I don't, and I hate that.

Oh I'm with you, mascara always, and maybe a brow liner. Not much else. Even surfing. Can't read article, but was thinking about overnight bc ski tour last year - instructed to pack light.... guide was like - no make up in the back country - I was like wtf? Didn't think the tube of mascara and the 14 gram camp mirror were really going to weigh me down lol.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Deleted the cookies and was able to get to the article again - copied below.

Appeared in the January 23, 2019, print edition as 'Mascara Muscles Into The Gym Bag.'
Anne Marie Chaker

Jan. 22, 2019 11:24 a.m. ET

In a new CoverGirl ad, trainer Massy Arias sprints, throws balls and benches weights—but not before first swiping on some mascara. At the end, she asks: “What? You don’t wear makeup to work?”

Women are hearing it’s not enough to hit the gym: You’ve got to look good doing it — a response to pressure to always look picture perfect in an age of selfies and social media.

Makeup companies are taking a cue from the “athleisure” trend of clothing that has blurred the line between gym clothes and fashion wear. Consumers, the thinking goes, may also want makeup that goes back and forth between work and the gym.

“People bring their cellphones to class and do little photo shoots before and after,” said Krissy Jones, co-owner of Sky Ting Yoga based in New York. In an online survey of 1,564 women conducted earlier this month by Pittsburgh polling firm CivicScience, 25% of women said they wore at least some makeup before working out.

Estée Lauder’s CliniqueFit line includes Workout Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 40 and Workout 24-Hour Mascara. e.l.f. Beauty’s Active line, launched a year ago, includes a Workout Ready Lip & Cheek Palette in Gym Chic.

Coty Inc.’s CoverGirl has launched an Outlast Active Collection in recent weeks, featuring a mascara, foundation and setting spray that touts sweat-proof, humidity-proof, and 24-hour wear. Even drugstore favorite Wet n Wild, a unit of Markwins Beauty Brands, this month is launching a Pump makeup collection featuring more than 30 products geared for workouts, including a Partner Up Blemish Stick and a Full Circuit palette of eye shadows and blushes.

The new angle has helped fuel the $11 billion makeup business, which has grown 13% in the past five years, according to market-research firm Mintel.

Some women find the notion of wearing makeup to the gym stifling. “What I need is a good bra and supportive shoes,” said Libby Estell, digital editor at a financial-services company in Los Angeles. “I don’t need foundation to cover up the fact that I am sweating.”

In general, dermatologists say it’s not advisable to wear makeup before working out. Obstructing skin pores with cosmetics while sweating can lead to heat rash or acne, says Adam Friedman, dermatology professor at George Washington University in Washington D.C. For those willing to risk it, Dr. Friedman recommends powder-based formulas.

Rachel Mayerson doesn’t normally wear makeup when she runs two-to-four times a week near her home in Hoboken, N.J. But when she runs a marathon, she puts on a little lipstick.

“I know I’m going to be photographed at the end, and I post a picture on Facebook,” said the 48-year-old corporate law recruiter. “That’s a race you want to feel good the whole way through.”

On a recent Saturday before heading to an 11 a.m. rowing class, Julie Gluck dabbed on some tinted moisturizer, eyeliner and mascara. “Just because I look dead without it,” said the 50-year-old research manager in Hoboken. Afterward, she and some friends from class went out for brunch. She didn’t reapply any makeup, and she said having something already on helped her feel more presentable. “When I’m out in public I want to look put-together,” she said. “Whether it’s me coming from work or leaving the house, there’s always a little bit of makeup that goes on my face.”

Some elite athletes said looking their best when out on the field can matter. For such women the stakes—including media appearances and endorsements—can be high. Leslie Osborne, a former member of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team, founded Sweat Cosmetics in 2015 with four of her former teammates after finding there were few options between traditional sunscreen and makeup. At the professional level, she said, games were often televised and potential endorsements were on the table.

“We wanted to look good,” she said. “How come there weren’t products out there—maybe some lip gloss, some foundation—that protect us from the sun but also make us look good?” The line’s core product is a $42 powder-based skin foundation that doubles as a 30 SPF sunscreen, self-contained in a refillable brush applicator.

Clinique’s products come in chartreuse packaging with sayings that implore women to “Be Matte On the Mat” or “Train Hard. Never Show It.” The line’s marketing slogan is “Life’s a Marathon. Look good running it.”

Some women in sports worry that such messages communicate it isn’t enough to just excel athletically. “Exercise was one safe space where you didn’t have to wear makeup,” said Jaime Schultz, professor of kinesiology and women’s studies at Penn State University. “Think about it. It should be enough to run the marathon.”

Others said it represents a double standard in how athletic women are treated. “I don’t see a bunch of products aimed at helping men look good to work out,” said Janet Fink, sports-management professor at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

Some said that if the added boost in confidence from wearing a little makeup helps get a woman to the gym, that can be a good thing. “It’s not about telling them what to do,” said Jane Lauder, Clinique brand president. “It’s giving them options.”

The fitness-oriented lineups are tweaked to add more sweat resistance or fit more easily in a gym bag. Clinique’s post-workout powder has a yellower tint to help tone down redness after exercise, Ms. Lauder said.

Tarte Cosmetics’ Lifted mascara from its Athleisure line was tested on subjects inside a “sweat chamber”—a room where the temperature was around 100 degrees Fahrenheit—and were asked to move around for an hour to induce sweating. Chief Marketing Officer Candace Craig Bulishak said that 93% of the subjects reported that the mascara didn’t smudge.

Michelle Spies, a 41-year-old stay-at-home mom in Fond du Lac, Wis., said she typically puts makeup on in the morning and recently added Sweat Cosmetics powder in shade 200 to her routine. She discovered it a year ago from a Facebook post and orders it online.

“The name was like, ah, that’s for me,” she recalled. “I am just a sweater.” The mother of three does CrossFit at least three times a week and paddleboards in the summer. “To have a little bit of base on my face and be able to sweat in it was fascinating,” she said. “It does stay on.”

Write to Anne Marie Chaker at [email protected]

MissySki

Angel Diva
I often go to the gym at lunchtime because it’s two floors down from my office. Those days I do have makeup on from my morning routine. I do wash my face afterward though because I’m afraid of clogging things up as well from sweat and makeup. If I’m going to workout from home or going skiing for example I wear the bare minimum of a moisturizer with spf, some undereye concealer, and mascara to define the eyes. I get quite pink after workouts or skiing in the cold, so don’t see the point of having anything else on my face!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always wear my tinted SPF moisturizer skiing. If I didn't sleep well, I'll add concealer. And lots of lip balm. There is no way I'm wearing mascara... I would end up with it irritating my eyes and then my eyes watering and being blinded. I have enough issues skiing, don't need to add more. LOL

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread just reminded me of the time my mother was telling me why she hates Lindsey Vonn. One of her reasons is that she competes with a full face of makeup. For one I think that's a really shallow reason to hate someone, but to be honest, I would do the same thing if I were Lindsey Vonn. You can't stand on the top of the podium and be the best if you don't look your best, and if you're looking top of the podium fine as hell, you're skiing top of the podium fine as hell.
And don't get me started on how many times my same mother caked up my 8 yr old face for sports! Between dance, gymnastics, and baton twirling, it was like I was a little Barbie doll!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not to derail the current conversation, but since some of you have mentioned tinted moisturizers with spf..

Does anyone use one that’s really really light coverage and not cakey or drying?? I used to absolutely love this Neutrogena one that was discontinued. I tried their “replacement” product that was a BB cream that they claimed was equivalebt, it sooooooo wasn’t! I’ve tried a couple of other brands and they were also drying and cakey like the BB cream, too much coverage/can hardly spread it/yuck! I really want another sheer coverage lightly colored tint that’s super moisturizing. Still so so sad that the one I used to use went away. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love that!!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to derail the current conversation, but since some of you have mentioned tinted moisturizers with spf..

Does anyone use one that’s really really light coverage and not cakey or drying?? I used to absolutely love this Neutrogena one that was discontinued. I tried their “replacement” product that was a BB cream that they claimed was equivalebt, it sooooooo wasn’t! I’ve tried a couple of other brands and they were also drying and cakey like the BB cream, too much coverage/can hardly spread it/yuck! I really want another sheer coverage lightly colored tint that’s super moisturizing. Still so so sad that the one I used to use went away. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love that!!

IT CosmeticsYour Skin But Better™ CC+™ Cream with SPF 50+
Supergoop!CC Cream Daily Correct Broad Spectrum SPF 35+ Sunscreen
Peter Thomas RothSkin to Die For™ Mineral-Matte CC Cream SPF 30

I also add in a drop or 2 of oil to thin the CC Cream out a bit.

I would stop by Sephora and pick up a few samples

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I actually wear more makeup to ski high altitude west resorts than I do almost anywhere else. Even though I don't burn anywhere else (except for the Caribbean after 8 hours) 10,000 feet definitely gets me. I refuse to actually purchase sunscreen so I just wear my BareMinerals Complexion Rescue tinted moisturizer. It works well and has very light coverage.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually wear more makeup to ski high altitude west resorts than I do almost anywhere else. Even though I don't burn anywhere else (except for the Caribbean after 8 hours) 10,000 feet definitely gets me. I refuse to actually purchase sunscreen so I just wear my BareMinerals Complexion Rescue tinted moisturizer. It works well and has very light coverage.

@MissySki complexion rescue is a great tinted moisturizer!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly