• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ikon Pass stories for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that the 2018-19 season has started in earnest, thought it might be good to get stories about using the Ikon multi-resort pass. For those who haven't been reading the thread started in February, keeping up with which ski resorts were included was hard. Since this is the very first season, there will undoubtedly be glitches. There were often glitches when new ski resorts were added to the MCP in the last 4-5 years.

There is an Ikon webpage that lists which resorts can be direct-to-lift for an Ikon pass and which require getting a day ticket. The Boyne resorts are obviously not yet up to speed on electronic ticketing. Going to RFID is not cheap. I think Boyne Resorts has put other capital improvements at a higher priority. I know there are managers who want Taos to go RFID, but there were more pressing needs for the money that the new owner could provide.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/how-to-use-your-ikon-pass

Direct to lift
USA
WEST
Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort

PACIFIC NORTHWEST
The Summit at Snoqualmie

ROCKIES
Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, Brighton, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird

EAST
Stratton, Killington Resort, Sugarbush Resort, Snowshoe Mountain

CANADA
WEST
SkiBig3, Revelstoke Mountain Resort

EAST
Tremblant, Blue Mountain

OCEANIA
AUSTRALIA
Thredbo
- - - - - - - - - -

Stop by a ticket window
USA
PACIFIC NORTHWEST
Crystal Mountain

ROCKIES
Deer Valley Resort, Taos Ski Valley

MIDWEST
Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands

EAST
Loon Mountain, Sunday River, Sugarloaf

CANADA
WEST
Cypress Mountain

ASIA
JAPAN
Niseko

marzNC

Angel Diva
As I mentioned elsewhere, I was able to get my Ikon pass set up at Killington in late November. Apparently my pass had been printed, but I hadn't received it yet. All I needed was my receipt. I was told to throw away the other one when it shows up.

At Loon, I was given a day ticket when I should my Ikon pass.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As I mentioned elsewhere, I was able to get my Ikon pass set up at Killington in late November. Apparently my pass had been printed, but I hadn't received it yet. All I needed was my receipt. I was told to throw away the other one when it shows up.

At Loon, I was given a day ticket when I should my Ikon pass.

I REALLY want Boyne to go RFID.. at least at Loon. I find them quite annoying trying to scan every person in line. Last week the gentleman scanning at the Kancamangus quad would just ask every time if he'd already scanned you once without rescanning or checking your ticket. What does that do for the resort?? I think they are more stringent on weekends though and I was there on a Friday. At the gondola they insist on scanning everyone every ride. Sunday River looks at your pass, but doesn't scan it.

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant does not have the RFID gates. So every ticket needs to scanned by the hand scanner. Passes must be visible for them. But this only at lower mountain lifts, not mid mountain ones.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
I am looking forward to using my Ikon Pass. Our ski trip starts in Taos, then Copper, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Revelstoke, and Banff. Hope to get a couple days in locally at Blue Mountain before we start. This trip would not have been possible without the IKON pass.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was at Stratton yesterday, they scan your pass each time at the lift so nice and easy with no ticket needed. I swear most people I saw throughout the day had Ikon passes, which certainly makes sense I suppose since Stratton is unlimited.

Funny thing was that I had my pass in a plastic arm band, and people seemed confused by this. I was even asked if it could be scanned through it by a mountain employee. It was interesting to me because the arm and goggle plastic sleeves are really common at Sunday River where I normally ski. I just assumed it was the same elsewhere.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly a story, but it's been confirmed by @SuperSkiMom that it's possible to use Ikon at Pico. Counts as a day at Killington. That's a change since the fall that makes a lot of sense. My impression is that on weekends, one way to get away from the crowds is to ski Pico instead of Killington. Presumably allowing Ikon passholders to ski Pico should help spread out those people as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am looking forward to using my Ikon Pass. Our ski trip starts in Taos, then Copper, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Revelstoke, and Banff. Hope to get a couple days in locally at Blue Mountain before we start. This trip would not have been possible without the IKON pass.
Sounds like a fun season! I'm headed to Taos with other Divas soon. With just a few more posts, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill (MOTH) threads. I'm also going to Big Sky this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Funny thing was that I had my pass in a plastic arm band, and people seemed confused by this. I was even asked if it could be scanned through it by a mountain employee. It was interesting to me because the arm and goggle plastic sleeves are really common at Sunday River where I normally ski. I just assumed it was the same elsewhere.
That reminds me . . . at Sunday River you have to get a sticky ticket when using Ikon. If skiing consecutive days, can get a multi-day ticket so only have to do it once.

I saw a few GogglePockets at SR. That's what I use at Massanutten for a season pass.

canannie

Certified Ski Diva
@jskis190
We lost a lot of snow at Blue Mountain today with all the rain yesterday and +12 today Suppose to go down to -10 tonight so hopefully things will look up. I am hoping to head to Revelstoke in Jan. for. a few days ! I hear they have tons of snow !

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!!

It's been a while, thought I'd come back into Diva land, and saw this thread!

DH and I got ikon passes this year to ski at Squaw and then do a Utah adventure - no problems with RFIDs, but then we've only skied at Squaw and Solitude so far.

The one thing I did notice, however, is that both resorts offer discounts on food... supposedly it's 15% off for full Ikon passes and 10% off for Ikon base passes... but I've only been getting the 10% discount, despite showing my full pass. Not sure how much of a pain to be about it, given that the extra 5% for a coffee amounts to $0.20...

What would y'all do?

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I got the Ikon Pass this year so that we could take our honeymoon out west and still take a Killington trip in the spring. Also going to try to hit up Snowshoe at some point since that is included.

We looked into the discount that Jackson Hole has on lodging for Ikon pass holders, but it wasn't cheaper than going through Travelocity.

I'll report back once we get a chance to use them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome back! Got any pics to share?

The one thing I did notice, however, is that both resorts offer discounts on food... supposedly it's 15% off for full Ikon passes and 10% off for Ikon base passes... but I've only been getting the 10% discount, despite showing my full pass. Not sure how much of a pain to be about it, given that the extra 5% for a coffee amounts to $0.20...

What would y'all do?

Since it's the first year for Ikon, I think it's worth mentioning at the Guest Services desk. Probably not worth mentioning to a cashier who is just pushing buttons.

Is there anything on a Full Ikon pass that makes it look different from Ikon Base?

canannie

Certified Ski Diva
I upgraded my 5 x 7 pass at Blue Mountain to the IKON base pass recently. I had booked a private lesson and they said "lucky you booked before I upgraded your pass to the IKON (I picked up my pass the same day after upgrading) cause you wouldn't have got the 30% off the private lesson". HUH??? I thought this was odd, so guest services looked into the matter and decided after Jan 8th all passes would include the 30% off any lessons. Glitches still being worked out. I agree with @marzNC about asking at Guest services on the food discounts !

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not that I noticed :frown:
Definitely worth mentioning to every Guest Services desk you get to this season. If a cashier can't tell the difference between a Full Ikon and Ikon Base, then it's silly to have different levels of discount. Lift ticket window staff can look up an Ikon pass to see what type it is, but that's not going to happen when buying food or stuff in the resort shop.

I hadn't really paid much attention to the Ikon perks.

Ikon benefits.png

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that I got much more than a sandwich and a coffee at Sunday River, I completely forgot about that perk. I need to keep it in mind for Taos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly