• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
A little early but I just came back from Lake Placid where the leaves are starting to turn in the High Peaks, so decided to start the thread for people who ski anywhere in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, southern NY, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, or North Carolina, as well as those who just want to talk about MidA/SE snow. Hope there can be a meetup or two of Ski Divas in the MidA/SE this season.

NC: Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, Cataloochee

VA: Massanutten, Wintergreen, Bryce
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Timberline, Winterplace

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain
PA, closest to DC: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail
PA, eastern: Elk, Montage, Jack Frost, Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek, Big Boulder

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter, Windham, Plattekill

For the Mid-Atlantic discussion for 2017-18, click here

marzNC

Angel Diva
The relatively new owners of Blue Knob are clearly ready to bring people in to check the place out. Haven't heard about upgrades but I assume something will be different. Day tickets are quite a bargain mid-week at BK: $43/day, $35/twilight after 1pm, $35/5-hour flex, $30/night. Weekends are comparable to other ski areas in the region at $68. What's new is offering a discount for a season pass at any other ski area for those who can ski midweek. A discounted day ticket will be $30. I think that might entice a few Snowtime pass holders to check out BK for a day.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Thanks for starting this thread! I’ll be watching and hopefully participating in a meet up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Dates for a pre-season sale were announced by Ski Center in Gaithersburg, Sept. 27-30. Apparently they moved recently. If anyone goes, please ask if they are going to do a demo day at Whitetail again. Last season is was on Fri, Jan. 5, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 3.23.07 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Blue Knob is hoping to find some volunteers for trail clearing this fall. For 40 hours, can get a season pass.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Dates for a pre-season sale were announced by Ski Center in Gaithersburg, Sept. 27-30. Apparently they moved recently. If anyone goes, please ask if they are going to do a demo day at Whitetail again. Last season is was on Fri, Jan. 5, 2018.

View attachment 9334

I intend to head out to this and will ask!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I intend to head out to this and will ask!
Great! By the way, Brian Beaumont at Ski Center has a solid reputation as a boot fitter. Started when he was working in DC before that shop closed up after a few decades serving the region.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ski swap dates are starting to be announced. Last fall we didn't fill out many of the dates, so the list below has dates from 2016 and 2017. If you are interested in a particular shop, maybe give them a call and report back. Most shops hold their swaps at around the same time every year.

Sept. 23, 2018: Pro-Fit Leesburg (Whitetail Ski Patrol)
Sep. 28-30, 2018: Dilly at Sun and Ski in Falls Church

Oct. 1-2, 2016: World Cup - Mechanicsburg PA
Oct. 7, 2017: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Oct. 7-8, 2017: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

Oct. 8, 2016: Bikles' Hagerstown MD
Oct. 8-9, 2016: Mountainside Sports Mechanicsburg PA
Oct. 11-14, 2017: Buckman's
Oct. 15-16, 2016: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
Oct. 22, 2016: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap
Oct. 28-29, 2017: Freestyle in Charlottesville
Oct. 29, 2017: Princeton Sport in Columbia - for Liberty Mountain Ski Patrol

Nov. 3-4, 2018: Freestyle in Charlottesville
Nov. 5, 2016: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Nov. 5-6, 2016: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 4-5, 2017: Alpine Ski Shop Sterling
Nov. 8-11, 2017: Buckman's
Nov. 12-13, 2016: Sun and Ski Chantilly
Nov. 12-13, 2016: Baltimore Ski Swap - Towson
Nov. 18, 2018: Pro-Fit Leesburg (Whitetail Ski Patrol)
Nov. 23, 2018: Wintergreen swap - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got a few more from DCSki. Only highlighting changes. Remember the list below has some dates from 2016 and 2017. If you are interested in a particular shop, maybe give them a call and report back.

Sep. 28-30, 2018: Dilly at Sun and Ski in Falls Church

Oct. 7, 2017: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Oct. 6-7, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

Oct. 28, 2018: Ski Center LTD - for Liberty Mountain Ski Patrol

Nov. 3-4, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
Nov. 5, 2016: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Nov. 12-13, 2016: Sun and Ski Chantilly
Nov. 12-13, 2016: Baltimore Ski Swap - Towson

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just realized how significant the move is for what is now called Ski Center LTD. Used to be in Reisterstown, closer to Baltimore than DC. The new location is pretty much on the way to Liberty and Whitetail for DC folks. That means Ski Center LTD and Pro-Fit are about 45 min apart now. Pro-Fit in Leesburg has Inside Ski, the indoor rolling carpet training center with instructors from Whitetail.

“The Ski Center LTD’s physical store has recently moved to 15944 Luanne Drive in Gaithersburg, Maryland - a new, more centralized location to better serve the region.

The new location is conveniently located just off of both 270 and 370. We opened at the new location on September 1, 2018 so come on by and check it out!”

marzNC

Angel Diva
A new one in WV that I haven't noted before. Driftland is in Davis, near Canaan Valley and Timberline. The Leaf Peepers festival Sept. 28-30 includes the Driftland swap.

Only highlighting changes when I update the list. Remember the list below has some dates from 2016 and 2017. If you are interested in a particular sale not yet updated, maybe give them a call and report back.

Sept. 28-30, 2018: Dilly at Sun and Ski in Falls Church
Sept. 28-30, 2018: Driftland in Davis, WV, (Challenged Athletes of WV)

Oct. 6, 2018: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Oct. 6-7, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

Oct. 28, 2018: Ski Center LTD - for Liberty Mountain Ski Patrol

Nov. 3-4, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Big news for Snowtime season pass holders . . . Peak Resorts is buying Snowtime. Sounds like the sale will go thru pretty quickly. Snowtime season pass holders will be able to upgrade to a Peak Pass for the 2018-19 season.

Peak ski resorts include Hunter and Mt. Snow. Hunter completed a major expansion on the backside this summer. Both are very busy on weekends, but anyone who can ski midweek would have a good time at either one from what I can tell. Have only skied at Hunter one Sat morning during early season. Good range of terrain.

https://ir.peakresorts.com/File/Index?KeyFile=395108862

“PEAK RESORTS TO ACQUIRE SNOW TIME FOR $76 MILLION
ACCRETIVE TRANSACTION EXPANDS PEAK’S NORTHEAST PORTFOLIO WITH THE ADDITION OF THREE HIGH-QUALITY RESORTS
Company Release - 9/24/2018 7:00 AM ET

WILDWOOD, Mo., Sept. 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Peak Resorts, Inc. (NASDAQ:SKIS) (“Peak” or the “Company”), a leading owner and operator of high-quality, individually branded U.S. ski resorts, announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held Snow Time, Inc. (“Snow Time”) for $76 million in total consideration.

Importantly, season pass holders at Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail who have already made the decision to purchase or renew their season passes for the 2018/2019 ski season will have the ability to upgrade to the Peak Pass and enjoy all 10 of our Northeast resorts. We expect to provide these customers with more details, including pricing options, in the coming weeks.”

Irvin S. Naylor, Founder and Chairman of Snow Time, added, “I am extremely pleased to pass along the stewardship of Snow Time and our three mountain resorts to Peak Resorts. Having watched the progress they continue to make at the formerly family-owned Hunter Mountain, I view Peak Resorts as the perfect operators to take Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail to the next level. For more than 50 years, my team and I have grown these three resorts into the magnificent properties they are today and we are delighted that Peak Resorts will continue to grow their appeal for the next generation and beyond.”
…”

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Oh WOW. Nice. I was planning on getting a night pass there. Will have to consider what makes the most sense as soon as more details emerge.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Are you talking about Liberty? Keep in mind that from Baltimore, driving up to Roundtop can be worth doing on weekends. @Olesya Chornoguz used to do that from Columbia.

Yep!! I have every intention of going to Roundtop. It’s the ideal location and literally a straight shot up I-83 for me.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Roundtop is almost never crowded on weekends and it's a fun mountain! It's small, but they have a lot of fun terrain for a small mountain. I used to go only to Roundtop on weekends because Whitetail and Liberty would get very crowded and if you live in Baltimore area it's quite convenient to get to. Whitetail is good for night skiing if you ever venture for night skiing.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Roundtop is almost never crowded on weekends and it's a fun mountain! It's small, but they have a lot of fun terrain for a small mountain. I used to go only to Roundtop on weekends because Whitetail and Liberty would get very crowded and if you live in Baltimore area it's quite convenient to get to. Whitetail is good for night skiing if you ever venture for night skiing.

Cool! I’m super glad to know that Roundtop is the least crowded of the 3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly