• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Taos Ski Weeks

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just received an email from Burt Skall, Director of Snowsports for Taos, regarding the Women's Ski Weeks.
There will be two sessions next season, the week of February 10 and the week of March 3.

I don't think I'll make it this year as in the process of planning a trip to Switzerland... but I highly recommend it! Maybe a chance I could go the second session...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting, guess TSV is finding there are more women interested in taking lessons from female instructors with other women only. I certainly enjoyed our group. Was even more fun do be able to do it with another Diva.

I'm planning on doing another Ski Week but going earlier in the season. Ski Weeks are definitely addictive. Saving February for a different trip.

For those who missed it, here's the trip report from Feb 2018 when @santacruz skier and I did the Ladies Ski Week. Same price as a regular Ski Week with perks. The perk that was the most useful was 5 days of free demo skis.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-taos-feb-10-16-2018.22516/

marzNC

Angel Diva

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone else thinking of a ski week in Taos this year? The women's weeks sounds fun, and if there are demos maybe I wouldn't have to bring my own? But if any divas are considering a different week, that might make a difference in my planning. Apparently I was not forthcoming enough with gift idea for my 50th birthday, but based on my kids' reports, my parents asked if I would like a ski week in Taos. Umm, yes please.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone else thinking of a ski week in Taos this year? The women's weeks sounds fun, and if there are demos maybe I wouldn't have to bring my own? But if any divas are considering a different week, that might make a difference in my planning. Apparently I was not forthcoming enough with gift idea for my 50th birthday, but based on my kids' reports, my parents asked if I would like a ski week in Taos. Umm, yes please.
I'm going to Taos again in January. Know other Divas going in February. Look for a PM.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I will be doing the Taos ski week coming season: 1/20 - 1/25. It’s the MLK week. I choose this week because I can take one less vacation day.
My ski friend, Eunice, will be joining me as well.
Both our lodging and flights are booked.
If I recall correctly, cost will be $270 for the regular ski week.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm not going to Taos Ladies Ski Week next season as have other trips planned during those times..
But wow what a great bday present!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh I have thought about doing a Taos ski week. Not sure if it will happen this year but I'm always curious to know who is going when. May be I'll join you!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did the 'regular' ski week last year, yes Old dogs like me can learn new tricks. Highly recommend ski week. The instructors are top notch. And It was a lot of fun. I will do it again.

I'd do the ladies clinics (demos always fun) although I was thrilled having Peter Blake as our instructor- his parents/family built Taos having a front row seat to hear the history of this awesome Mt. was very cool for me. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I were just talking last night about returning to Taos given that this year might send promising snowfall down there.

A ski week would be perfect for me. Hmmm, I wonder if I can convince him. He's a last-minute decision maker when it comes to ski trips. We usually book lodging in three different regions way ahead of time, and then follow the forecasts, choosing a week or two in advance which location we' ll be driving to. Yes, it's kind of annoying since I prefer solid plans, but it's worked out pretty well the past five seasons!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I definitely want to go back!!! The reason I decided to do the Women's Ski Week was free demos! A very few fun week - one of the best even though not a great snow year.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He's a last-minute decision maker when it comes to ski trips. ... I prefer solid plans
I have this dynamic going on in my relationship and it drives me crazy. It usually means less ski days/year. Although we have planned a few week-long trips in advance, and we have avoided some crappy weekends due to weather or conditions.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@VickiK ,. Yep pretty darn frustrating. My evolving way of handling it is to acknowledge we're going somewhere, and I will be excited to go regardless. As long as I am apprised of the location a week in advance I can make plans to register for lessons if I need to. Because I know the location choices in advance, I familiarize myself with the lodging reserved, base area, local grocery, routes, etc. It's the best I can do! I pack skiwear for very cold and not so cold conditions , and two pair skis for varying snow on varying terrain.

In order to keep my sanity I just pretend it's all a big surprise, and roll with it.:tongue:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos Snowsport weeks 2018-19 schedule is available:

https://www.skitaos.com/lessons/snowsports-weeks/
For those unfamiliar with Taos Ski Weeks, the full program is 6 consecutive mornings, Sunday thru Friday. Starting on Monday morning is not uncommon. A local may skip a morning or two. With the price under $300 for the entire week, I don't think there is any credit given for missed lessons. Given the level of experience of the instructors, it's a bargain even for only 2-3 mornings.

Groups are divided by ability and interest. For instance, if an older advanced/expert skier (say over 70) wants to take it easy, then can do Level 9 instead of Level 10. TSV uses a 10-point breakdown for ski school purposes, but some groups are combined. The Ladies group that @santacruz skier and I were in last season was Level 9/10. One local woman put herself in Level 8 on the first day because the year before there were women who found annoying in Level 9/10. But she moved into our group on Monday and found it more compatible in terms of technique and chemistry among the students.

Most participants tip instructors. Some groups gather money together as a group tip. For other groups, individuals give the tip to the instructor at end of the week.

Some groups have lunch, après, or an early dinner together on Friday for those who are interested.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In addition to perks like free demo skis, there are a few other differences for Ladies Ski Week. For a regular Ski Week, there is a "ski off" first thing on Sunday morning. For new participants, can do it on Monday morning. For the Ladies Ski Week, the groups were formed by self-selection for those who were doing it for the first time. The Ladies program started at the base every morning. The regular Ski Weeks start off at mid-mountain every morning.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What I found interesting in the selection process of grouping in the Ladies Ski Week was that our group really was a pretty good fit. And this was as @marzNC said without a ski off. That being said, if conditions had been different (upper mountain was pretty much closed), I may not have felt as comfortable skiing steep narrow mogul fields....

marzNC

Angel Diva
The advantage of having an entire week is that the instructor has time for progression. Even for Bill's Level 10 group in 2017, they spent the first day working on some fundamentals on groomers and easier off-piste terrain before moving to double-black terrain. One of the topics on Day 1 was pole usage. Bill learned that what he'd been doing for decades was not optimal, especially for bumps. That season there was lots of snow and everything was open.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL the Ski off.. I was already in My Instructors group but still 'had to do the ski off" Jean Mayer (THE Jean Mayer) is who sends you to what ever group. The Instructor that tells you when to "go" at the top already knew I was with Peter B. but Jean M did not. There was a groomed portion everyone was skiing and then a nice patch of new snow (untouched) so you know I went there skied past Jean M. and he told me to Go to #10 - I said No! I'm with Peter, He yelled - NO you go there! Back and forth, classes looking at me, Instructors motioning me to go to #10-- I refused, I was with @Olesya Chornoguz group.. OMG- I at the time had NO CLUE who I was talking back too!

Thankfully when we had dinner at Jean Mayer's hotel The St Bernard (Fantastic food) he didn't recognize me. Whew!

As for how they group people they (Jean Mayer) does a great job but you can always change groups if you aren't happy with your instructor or for any other reason (too challenging or not enough challenge) They really really want you to have a good time and learn how to ski better and they did.

On Sunday it was busier like most Mts with weekend warriors and we mostly skied, Our instructor did give pointers and had each of us 'follow him' turn for turn. We each took turns riding the lift with our instructor to tell our goals, issues etc. One woman with really long poles, didn't like that our instructor didn't do a lot of standing around and wasn't a drill Sgt. On Monday morning she complained and no problem, Our instructor chatted with her about her goals and off she went to another group. Speaking volumes for this Program were Two in our group had been coming with ski clubs for 30years just to do Ski week!!

It really is a great deal for under $300 (plus tip) I can't wait to go again and hope that Uller will cooperate and deliver lots of snow so Kachina Peak and the woods will be open!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly