• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All things ski gear for plus sized, former expert, woman!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am planning to return to the slopes in 2019... after my upcoming total knee replacement. I've gained weight over the years and while I'm on track to lose about 50 lbs., I need to know what's out there for someone who weighs about 200 lbs. Everything from clothing to skis. During my "first ski career" from age 9 to 30-something, I skied everything and everywhere with confidence. I'm much older now (60) and am looking forward to enjoying the greens and blues but I do need the right equipment. Thanks in advance for your ideas and recommendations!

Last edited by a moderator:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am planning to return to the slopes in 2019... after my upcoming total knee replacement. I've gained weight over the years and while I'm on track to lose about 50 lbs., I need to know what's out there for someone who weighs about 200 lbs. Everything from clothing to skis. During my "first ski career" from age 9 to 30-something, I skied everything and everywhere with confidence. I'm much older now (60) and am looking forward to enjoying the greens and blues but I do need the right equipment. Thanks in advance for your ideas and recommendations!
Welcome! Can't help with specifics because I'm at the other end of the size spectrum. But want to wish you the best on knee rehab after surgery. I had to deal with a knee injury several years ago around age 55. When I was ready to ski again, lessons from very experienced instructors were extremely helpful.

May be useful for you to share what region you will be skiing to start with. Very different needs between small hills in the flatlands, the U.S. Rockies, the colder mountains in Canada, the Alps in Europe, or the mountains in Australia, especially when it comes to skis but also applies to clothing, gloves, etc.

Have you looked in the Gearipedia section yet? The info about boots will help get you caught up on current technology. Fair to say a lot has changed in the last 20-30 years. Stuff is lighter, stronger, more comfortable, etc. depending on what the item does. I'm just a couple years older than you and didn't ski much from ages 14-50.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the nice welcome marz! I live just outside of Boston, close to some acceptable day-ski spots as well as the big resorts in Vermont, NH, and Maine where all the cool kids go. I learned to ski on Mt. Hood and spent most of my younger years at Heavenly, Squaw, Northstar, Timberline and Mt. Hood Meadows, and a couple of trips to Aspen. It's a different world here, but New England is home and with snow making technology what it is, we even have days of sunshine and "powder!"

I'm slowly learning about suitable gear online and bookmarking accordingly. It's surprising how much better I feel about my surgery having skiing, however modestly, as a goal!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! If you ski Wachusett at all, I try to get there once or twice a week in season, give a shout if you want to meet up in season. Obermeyer seems to have a large range of sizes available, even in colors other than basic black. And as far as skis go, everyone here will suggest the same-- demo. Wawa seems to have a decent demo fleet, and you can apply up to two weeks of demo fees towards the purchase price.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi there diymom! Wachusett! I used to ski there in high school when the lodge was, I kid you not, a Quonset hut! One rope tow as I recall. The website is so heartening, so much beautiful development.
My day ski areas will be Wachusett and Nashoba and I'd love to meet up with you. I'll pm you my contact info. Thanks for the clothing and gear tips, too; I think I've found what I need w/ Obermeyer.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:welcome:

Hi Babette! Welcome to the Ski Diva forum and welcome back to skiing!
I am in central Vermont and ski at Okemo (even though I'm no "cool kid"!). I hope we'll get to ski together if you get up this way.

I second @diymom 's recommendation of Obermeyer. In addition to the broad size range, they stand by their products, which are well made. They repaired a rip in a pant gaiter for me quickly and at no cost.

I also find that Columbia and to some extent Marmot tend to run a little big as well. The North Face seems to run small. Ebay can be a good place to find used gear, especially if you're in the process of losing weight and will need to replace clothing. Also, after you make enough posts here on the forum, you will gain access to the gear-for-sale feature.

I have an Obermeyer Cruz insulated jacket for sale, size 16 if you're interested. Info and pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/historychris/edit

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @SallyCat and thank you for the warm welcome! Thinking about skiing is my happy place and will go a long way toward my upcoming recovery and rehab.

Thanks for more clothing tips, too. I'll have to pass on your great-looking jacket; I'm closer to a 20, especially with layers underneath.

I'm talking to another Diva about meeting up at the Boston Ski Show which will be November 8-11 this year. Send me a pm w/ your contact info if you want me to remind you closer to the date.

Thanks again for the welcome and support.

Babette

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the nice welcome marz! I live just outside of Boston, close to some acceptable day-ski spots as well as the big resorts in Vermont, NH, and Maine where all the cool kids go. I learned to ski on Mt. Hood and spent most of my younger years at Heavenly, Squaw, Northstar, Timberline and Mt. Hood Meadows, and a couple of trips to Aspen. It's a different world here, but New England is home and with snow making technology what it is, we even have days of sunshine and "powder!"

I'm slowly learning about suitable gear online and bookmarking accordingly. It's surprising how much better I feel about my surgery having skiing, however modestly, as a goal!
Ah, although I live in NC, I know the Boston are well. Went to prep school in Concord. I grew up NYC. But didn't ski within driving distance of Boston until recent years because my daughter is in prep school in Weston. Had a chance to check out Mt. Hood Meadows in May during a late season trip to Bachelor and Mammoth with my main ski buddy. Definitely want to go back to Oregon.

I'll be in Boston for the Boston Ski Expo again. Maybe there can be a Diva meet up one of the days. My daughter and I met up with @diymom and her daughter for a few hours last year.

Have you considered a season lease for skis? For boots, it's worth investing in time and money to get well fitted boots from a good boot fitter. There are a few options in the Boston area.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world!! You're going to love it here.

We have a thread devoted to plus size skiwear that was started many years go. You can search or just hang out here.

@volklgirl - some help with skis?

Also what about boots. The ski diva mantra is you marry your boots, you date your skis!! Find a good boot fitter and spend the money on boots. If you're feet aren't happy, then you won't be skiing.

Good luck with the surgery and rehab. It's in my further, but hopefully a very far in the future!!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ATTN MODERATORS: I meant for post #10 to be a pm. Can you remove it from the board? Thank you!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just in case you are wanting to cool off during the summer by thinking about ski gear, and start building a demo wish-list, I'm sure divas will gladly provide suggestions. Do you have an idea yet what you might be looking for in a ski?

Since you are coming back after a hiatus and surgery, your skis for this year might not be your skis for next year, after a season on the slopes. Maybe consider either a season lease or a recent year second hand / great sale price ski to get you in the swing of things, and then when the conditions are ripe start having fun with demos to find the ski you really love and want to invest in.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm going to want a ski that's easiest on my knees, that is very easy to turn. One that will make me look better than I am: :bounce:I'm pretty sure that my comeback will be spent on very easy slopes, enjoying the weather and the view and the movement. I'm definitely going to buy boots, and plan on exploring skis/bindings at the Boston Ski Show this November. Btw, I'm kind of organizing a Diva meet-up there, where should I post that info? Thanks! Babette

Jilly

Staff member
We have a meet on the hill thread. You need to keep posting to have access to the "diva's only" section. Keep asking questions, you'll get there.

Also there are 2 Diva's ski events. This coming season....Diva east is at Mont Tremblant, Quebec and out west at Snowmass. Again after 25 posts, you'll see that section.

And maybe some of our "down under" Diva's will bless us with some snow stoke!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on the heavier side and have enjoyed the Blizzard Black Pearls. Mine are from 2011 and I'm interested in getting the same in a more current year.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a meet on the hill thread. You need to keep posting to have access to the "diva's only" section. Keep asking questions, you'll get there.

Also there are 2 Diva's ski events. This coming season....Diva east is at Mont Tremblant, Quebec and out west at Snowmass. Again after 25 posts, you'll see that section.

And maybe some of our "down under" Diva's will bless us with some snow stoke!!

What are the dates for the Diva East meet up?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! and Welcome, I'm another East coast Diva, I think you'll love the new skis (and boot's) I hope you can demo some skis. I 2nd the vote for the 2018 Blizzard black pearls, very forgiving, easy to turn yet if you put them on edge they respond.

also Keep chatting you'll be in the 'diva's only' section, I've met and skied with so many wonderful ski divas and yes to we are die hards! what better than plan ski trips when it's so hot out! Hope to make some turns with you this winter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly