• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

East coast all-mountain skis

jeselk

Diva in Training
Howdy! I’m looking for recos on all-mountain skis and particularly, thoughts on waist. I ride out East most of the time, advanced/expert and am happiest in the trees. 5’4” and 175 pounds. Currently, I’m on K2 Potion XTIs at 156 and waist of 90. They’re fun and responsive, and so beautifully on groomers and ice, but get extemely chattery when I’m around 40 mph or bumpy hardpack conditions. I’ve demoed a few options but didn’t fall in love, though I did enjoy the Kenjas. My least favorite were the Head Super Joys - way too light. I’m interested in Icelantics but of course can’t demo them anywhere, and specifically the Oracle 100. Is a 100 waist too wide for the East and will it not be quick enough in trees? Or if I stick with 155, will it be fine? Would love any advice on waist or brands. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would help to know what length(s) you took out when demo'ing.

I've seen quite a few women with the new Black Pearls in the northeast this season. Not necessarily suggesting them. The point is that they are 88 underfoot. Staying in the 80s seems more reasonable for northeast skiing.

jeselk

Diva in Training
Would help to know what length(s) you took out when demo'ing.

I've seen quite a few women with the new Black Pearls in the northeast this season. Not necessarily suggesting them. The point is that they are 88 underfoot. Staying in the 80s seems more reasonable for northeast skiing.
I think you might be right. Length was 155 to 159 and the biggest waist was 90. Thanks!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I think 100 is a bit wide in the waist for an Eastern all-mountain ski. The times when you're going to need that are pretty few and far between. MarzNC has a good suggestion with the Black Pearls, though I haven't tried them. And a few people I know really like the Elan Ripstick's, though I haven't tried them either (they come in a variety of widths). Have you skied the Nordica Santa Ana 93's? They might be a good choice.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked my new Flair 81 . They handled 40mph quite well. They surprised me at how stable they were with their light weight. I'm in the midwest and see like 3 powder days a season so I have no need for a super wide ski

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and Welcome!
I'm tad taller but same weight and I love to ski fast. I really enjoyed the new Black pearls.
I didn't like the Santa ana's I over powered them but they are a nice ski.

I am skiing the Renoun z-90s' lots of $$ But amazing ski in all conditions, 90cm under foot. I have been skiing them east and west all winter and haven't found a condition they didn't like and ZERO Tip flap! I can not stand the tip flap!
I also liked the Atomic's ranging in the 80's to 90 underfoot.
Rossi 84's and 88' experience get rave reviews and several of my friends here in the east ski them as daily drivers.
I liked the Flairs too, but I have Atomic 11's they are 71 underfoot and my 'slicer/dicer' front side race ski for slick days.
As Ski Diva mentioned going over 90 in the East makes it harder to get over on edge on our hard packed days.

I hope you can demo! It's amazing how many skis and how different they all ski!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think you might be right. Length was 155 to 159 and the biggest waist was 90. Thanks!
Have you ever demo'd skis longer than 159? Reason I ask is that you mentioned that your current skis are chattery at speed. I am a few inches shorter (about 10 cm) and quite a bit lighter than your are. My all-mountain skis are mid-80s and 159cm but I use them out west. I enjoyed the BP88 @145cm at Taos going quite fast on groomers. They were great on the few soft bumps that grew after a couple snowstorms (4 inches, 9 inches).

The other skis I've enjoyed demo'ing recently are the Atomic Vantage 85 and the Rossi Experience 84. But my experience is unlikely to be that helpful given that you liked the Kenja and I generally find Volkl skis hard work. I tried the Volkl Flair 78 @149 and didn't like it at all. Same width and length as the Head Absolut Joys that I bought a few years ago after liking Head Joy skis in general.

Do you know the turn radius of the skis you demo'd?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd say 100 is too wide for the east coast. If you're looking at Icelantics, I'd go for the Sabre 80 (new for 2019), 89, or the Pioneer 96. As a strong, heavier skier who loves trees, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. I spent much of a day on the 80 and 96 and couldn't find anything they didn't excel at.

Other options are the Atomic Vantage 95 and the Volkl 90Eight or Kanjo or Secret (new for 2019).

I agree that 156 seems waaaaay to short for your weight and skills. I imagine you should probably be on a minimum 165 to 175 cm.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I would agree 80-90mm underfoot and try demo-ing something a bit longer. I ski in Scotland where we also have a lot of hardpack conditions. I am 5'6" and 119lbs - my all mountain skis are Black Pearls (88 underfoot) 166 length. I demoed them in 159 originally and found them chattery at speed. The 166 initially felt like a lot of ski (I had mostly been using skis in the 155-159 range up to that point), but they felt a lot more stable for me so I took the risk and it was definitely the right choice for me. You sound like you have the skills to manage a longer ski so it is definitely worth at least having a go.

jeselk

Diva in Training
Thanks so much, everyone! I’ve never thought of going longer actually... I guess I always thought my ski was just supposed to be up to my nose. Hah! And that longer would be tough in trees. I wish I could go demo these recos right now!

jeselk

Diva in Training
Hi and Welcome!
I'm tad taller but same weight and I love to ski fast. I really enjoyed the new Black pearls.
I didn't like the Santa ana's I over powered them but they are a nice ski.

I am skiing the Renoun z-90s' lots of $$ But amazing ski in all conditions, 90cm under foot. I have been skiing them east and west all winter and haven't found a condition they didn't like and ZERO Tip flap! I can not stand the tip flap!
I also liked the Atomic's ranging in the 80's to 90 underfoot.
Rossi 84's and 88' experience get rave reviews and several of my friends here in the east ski them as daily drivers.
I liked the Flairs too, but I have Atomic 11's they are 71 underfoot and my 'slicer/dicer' front side race ski for slick days.
As Ski Diva mentioned going over 90 in the East makes it harder to get over on edge on our hard packed days.

I hope you can demo! It's amazing how many skis and how different they all ski!
I had to look up what tip flap means, hah. Thanks for these ideas - and for the new jargon!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
For an all mountain in the northeast 100 waist is pushing it- you may be happier on a mid 80-mid 90.

@nopoleskier - did you try the 2018 or 2019 Santa Ana 93 with metal, or just the 2017? I am going to suggest the Santa Ana 93 too so was curious which model hadn’t appealed to you.

@jeselk, based on your stats and skill level I would recommend you size your length up a bit when you demo and see what you think.

Here are some to consider:
Head Kore 93
Völkl Secret
Armada Victa 87ti
Santa Ana 93 ( not the 2017)

I have not tried the new Black Pearl 88 or the Renoun, but if @nopoleskier likes them, I would put them on the list. She is a rocking skier!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For an all mountain in the northeast 100 waist is pushing it- you may be happier on a mid 80-mid 90.

@nopoleskier - did you try the 2018 or 2019 Santa Ana 93 with metal, or just the 2017? I am going to suggest the Santa Ana 93 too so was curious which model hadn’t appealed to you.

@jeselk, based on your stats and skill level I would recommend you size your length up a bit when you demo and see what you think.

Here are some to consider:
Head Kore 93
Völkl Secret
Armada Victa 87ti
Santa Ana 93 ( not the 2017)

I have not tried the new Black Pearl 88 or the Renoun, but if @nopoleskier likes them, I would put them on the list. She is a rocking skier!

2o18 model, it was a spring corn day w/ice inbetween. Nice ski but I would want to try longer (think I was on 159)

thanks for the compliment too!

Jilly

Staff member
@jeselk - I too ski the east. My daily driver is a tuned down slalom race ski, in 161. When we get the goods...I have a pair of Atomic Vantage 95C's, they are 171. I'm 5'4 and a tad less in weight. You need to go longer on an all mountain ski.

Like the suggestions so far.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
If you get a chance to, try demoing the J Skis Masterblasters in their shortest length... which I think is 167cm. Not exactly sure how they do in trees, but they’re reputedly a great 1 ski quiver for the east coast and don’t seem to have an upper speed limit.

I bought his and hers pairs for cheap recently — my husband found them to be super playful but also crazy fast when he wanted to push them.

They’re too much ski for me right now, but I’m hoping to grow into them next season... I love my other pair of J Skis and it was just too hard to pass up a deal that was 2 for less than the full price of 1 pair!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly