• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rossignol Soul 7's....Thoughts?

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
I have an old set of carving skis that are basically worn out. I also have a set of Volkl Kikus which I have never loved. (I think 2012 or 2013).

My thought is, I will take one of my daughter's old sets of SL as a carving ski. And, purchase an all mountain ski. I am thinking Rossignol Soul 7's. I primarily ski in UT. I would label myself as advanced intermediate and in my late 40s.

Does anyone have any experience with either the 2017 or 2018 Soul 7s? I am thinking 2018? But, would really like opinions.

I really enjoyed reading the previous post on the most talked up skis that you did not like!

Thanks!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, Sorry, I don't have any experience on the Soul 7's but a couple of my local GF's love them.. especially in powder. I'm sure some diva's will chime in!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I took out the Rossi Savory 7, 104 underfoot, for a deep powder day at Alta (April 2015, 25+ inches) and had a good time. Although I changed to a wider ski for the afternoon since it kept snowing all morning. I'm petite and usually get the DPS Nina 99 as a powder ski when I get lucky and catch fresh snow. In general, I like Rossi skis so don't usually bother to check them out on demo days.

What other skis have you considered besides the Soul 7? On a powder day, how much are you thinking of skiing off-piste?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 2017. It’s a great ski for mixed conditions and even tough conditions but it’s actually not super great on powder days. I usually ski on my old skis when it gets over 8 inches.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I'm confused because the Soul 7 is a freeride ski according to Rossi. The all mountain is the Temptation series. I've haven't seen a Soul to demo as we don't have the conditions for it.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My SOs adult kids all have the Soul...they ski primarily off piste on them...I would consider them more of a big mountain ski rather than all mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've had fun with the Temptation 84 and Temptation 88 during Demo Days at Alta and in the east. For a good price, I would be happy with the Temptation 88 as an all-mountain ski for trips out west. Probably wouldn't bother to pay for the current model year though.

Jilly

Staff member
That's what I took to WB last year, my 88's. The Soul series is free-ride, so off piste and crud. I don't know how if would preform on soft groomers.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what I took to WB last year, my 88's. The Soul series is free-ride, so off piste and crud. I don't know how if would preform on soft groomers.
I've got the 2015 Super 7's and they're great on groomers. I actually like them less in variable conditions as I find I get thrown around, but I think that's more to do with them being too long for me.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The soul 7hd is a bit different than the older soul 7 it has less chatter, is a bit burlier and holds an edge better. It is fine on groomers hard and soft, fine off piste especially in marginal conditions like icy steeps, blows through rooster heads, good in crud etc good in 3D snow. It just isn’t as floaty as my old skis in deeper snow although it floats well enough to be a one ski quiver.

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you so much for all of the replies. I am going to see if there is anywhere I can demo them. (My local ski shop does not carry them...but, one about 1/2 hour away does. Not sure if they Demo.)

I really appreciated your descriptions as well as your opinions. I mostly ski at Snowbasin. I rarely hike into anything. So, the description of handling crud and being ok on groomers is a big deal. I do know my way around the mountain, so, I do find fresh tracks at times. However, at Snowbasin almost everything leads to a groomer back the lift.

I guess I am looking for a ski that would compliment a SL race ski. (I have a ton of race skis at the house....just need to adjust bindings to fit my boots. I buy 2-4 new sets of skis for my daughter every year...which is why my quiver is suffering...Racers.... At least she is finally big enough to pass on skis to me and her older siblings!)

Again! Thanks a ton!

Think Snow :-)

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
The soul 7hd is a bit different than the older soul 7 it has less chatter, is a bit burlier and holds an edge better. It is fine on groomers hard and soft, fine off piste especially in marginal conditions like icy steeps, blows through rooster heads, good in crud etc good in 3D snow. It just isn’t as floaty as my old skis in deeper snow although it floats well enough to be a one ski quiver.
I did hear there were some significant differences. The 2018s seem to have more shape and have wider tips. A good (male) friend suggested I look into them when I was asking his wife about skis. She is a former ski instructor, but said she hadn't demoed anything recently. He, produces a ton of ski videos for a few UT resorts and has been given several sets of skis. He has a pair of Soul 7s and thinks thinks they would be right for me. (I have skied with him at times...but, he is much more adventurous than I am!) The more I hear...I can deal with the negatives, and the positives are what I am looking for. (I did hear I could get last year's model for about $300 less....which is attractive. But, I think I would like this year's better.)

Thanks for your input!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did hear there were some significant differences. The 2018s seem to have more shape and have wider tips. A good (male) friend suggested I look into them when I was asking his wife about skis. She is a former ski instructor, but said she hadn't demoed anything recently. He, produces a ton of ski videos for a few UT resorts and has been given several sets of skis. He has a pair of Soul 7s and thinks thinks they would be right for me. (I have skied with him at times...but, he is much more adventurous than I am!) The more I hear...I can deal with the negatives, and the positives are what I am looking for. (I did hear I could get last year's model for about $300 less....which is attractive. But, I think I would like this year's better.)

Thanks for your input!
Last year was the first year for the hd. I heard they softened it up a little bit more in this year’s women’s model but I don’t know that for fact. They might be the same ski.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw this. Give the Blizzard Sheeva 10 a look. Check the demo fleet at Snowbasin. I haven't checked their inventory this year, but they typically carry a full line of Rossi products, and I am pretty sure they have the Sheeva, too.

I owned some Savory 7s two seasons ago, and they were not much fun in anything but fresh powder. I sold them immediately. The ski HAS been tweaked since then, and I demoed the more recent version, and they were better, but still not as stable in crud and chop as I'd like. Tested the Sheeva 10 in some of the most hideous, changing conditions from top-to-bottom that I have ever skied, and absolutely loved them. So much, that I own a pair now (that have yet to be skied thanks to our dismal season!)

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you everyone! All great advice and appreciated. I ended up purchasing the Soul 7's (2018). I LOVE them. I don't know how they will be in true powder yet. However, I have skied torn up fresh snow and groomers. Love them on soft snow. Hoping to ski in deeper snow at some point this season. Like them on groomers. (I am still planning on taking a set of my daughter's old SL skis to use on true groomer days. We have extra sets, so I just need to change the binding adjustment.)

Now, we just need more snow!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for this thread; we had a rare powder morning and I wanted to demo the Soul 7 out of curiosity, but they didn't have it available. I will now add the Sheeva 10 to my demo list. It appears increasingly likely that I'll be moving out west at the end this school year, and though I wouldn't buy any ski until I knew where I'd be skiing regularly and had demoed a lot, I've started to pay more attention to big mountain and powder skis, which I don't know anything about.

Btw, true fact, after 45 minutes of a great phone interview, a headmaster at a school in a very snowy place said "I do have one concern about your resume" and my heart sank. Then he said "you've spent an awful lot of your life in the Deep South. Are you sure you like snow? I mean, really like a LOT of snow?" :rotf: I told him I was good with snow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly