• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Best Ski Bag for air travel?

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
Hi fellow Divas - Getting ready for ski season, and realise I need to get a ski bag so I can bring my skis with me. Any suggestions for a good ski bag to take on a flight? I'm only bringing one pair of skis plus poles, helmet, boots, etc. Looking at reviews, it seems like the Dakine Fall Line bag is a good bag, but some complain it doesn't have a shoulder strap... Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wheels add weight but are very convenient. Ski Essentials had good deals on bags by Sierra something (Designs?). I have a wheeled Dakine double bag, no shoulder strap, and it's been great.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've never thought about wanting a shoulder strap--that seems too heavy a bag for a shoulder. I tried a wheeled bag once and it didn't work--my skis were shorter than the bag, so the bag dragged near where they ski ended rather than at the wheels, which were at the very end. Maybe someone can explain how to make sure this won't happen. I don't know if I got a bad wheeled bag or if people with shorter skis always have this issue.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have a Burton wheelie snowboard bag .....Fits my skis with room to spare.... but don't overpack it as will be charged for overweight!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never thought about wanting a shoulder strap--that seems too heavy a bag for a shoulder. I tried a wheeled bag once and it didn't work--my skis were shorter than the bag, so the bag dragged near where they ski ended rather than at the wheels, which were at the very end. Maybe someone can explain how to make sure this won't happen. I don't know if I got a bad wheeled bag or if people with shorter skis always have this issue.
Soft bag that will always happen. It's why I use a wheeled Sportube despite it's heavier weight. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I have a Sportube series 2 and found it too heavy, I strained my shoulder when I was lifting it in one of my out-of-town ski trips. I am considering to sell it and getting a Douchebag - Slim Jim (one skis) or DouchBag (two skis).
Both have wheels and length can be adjusted. Slim Jim weighs < 4 lbs.
Does anyone have experience with either product? The bags look "flimsy" but I have heard good reviews.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Maybe someone can explain how to make sure this won't happen.

I've run into this since I have a bag that fits my skis, but I also use it for snowboards, which are significantly shorter. Last year I packed a lightweight, composite, hockey stick in my bag under my boards...kept the whole thing nice and stiff.

Other options...make sure your skis are at the end with the wheels and strap them in so they don't move up as you wheel it. Or if you don't have straps inside of the bag, stuff the bag (including the top where your skis aren't, with lightweight clothing (or packing foam), so your skis don't move from the spot you put them, and overall, the whole bag stays rigid.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a double ski Sportube for sale.....just in case anyone's interested.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Sportube series 2 and found it too heavy, I strained my shoulder when I was lifting it in one of my out-of-town ski trips. I am considering to sell it and getting a Douchebag - Slim Jim (one skis) or DouchBag (two skis).
Does anyone have experience with either product? The bags look "flimsy" but I have heard good reviews.
Maybe when we pass each other on the beltway we should swap my series 1 Sportube for your Series 2. The series 1 is only 8 lbs.:becky:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Maybe when we pass each other on the beltway we should swap my series 1 Sportube for your Series 2. The series 1 is only 8 lbs

:thumbsup:. But mine is a 2nd hand, if you don't mind that.... :wink:
I was debating b/w series 1 and 2, then decided to go w/ series 2, thought I may score some deal on a 2nd pair of skis in my travel.... but from the way it is looking right now, I don't have much interest in getting new skis (happy with my Rossi Temp 80). Series 2 is too bulky and can get heavy, my strained shoulder is still bothering me after 7+ months....

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I just bought the Thule Roundtrip Ski Roller and really like the quality of the bag and it's features. It will hold two skis but I'm only packing one pair. Also, instead of hassleing with the bag at the airport I'm shipping the skis via Luggage Forward.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:thumbsup:. But mine is a 2nd hand, if you don't mind that.... :wink:
I was debating b/w series 1 and 2, then decided to go w/ series 2, thought I may score some deal on a 2nd pair of skis in my travel.... but from the way it is looking right now, I don't have much interest in getting new skis (happy with my Rossi Temp 80). Series 2 is too bulky and can get heavy, my strained shoulder is still bothering me after 7+ months....
I have way more mass to balance out that heavier tube and I've been considering selling my 1 so I could buy a 2..........Not for a second pair of skis but because I usually find myself packing it in the parking lot on the way to the airport after skiing in the morning, and a roomier tube would make that a little easier with space for accessories.

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva

I have the DB for two pairs of skis. The design is brilliant and it's much more maneuverable than other wheeled ski bags. It's drawbacks are: 1) The handle on the end where the bag rolls down to adjust is attached via four metal S-shaped pieces that slide into loops on the bag. These can come off during transit -- I almost lost my handle as it arrived at baggage claim hanging on by one out of four attachment points. I have added a locking carabiner to one side of the handle so it stays well attached to the bag. 2) the material does not hold up as well as it should for the high price. I think it needs to be a heavier denier. First round trip international flight and I found two decent size cuts in it (admittedly, I do tend to put quite a few sharp pointy things in there like an ice axe but I wrap the sharp bits). I've patched these with repair tape but I feel this is going to be an ongoing issue.

PS -- It does come with a shoulder strap although I've never used it.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Burton wheelie snowboard bag .....Fits my skis with room to spare.... but don't overpack it as will be charged for overweight!

I also use a wheeled snowboard bag but by Thule. At 170 cm length, my 166 cm VJJ just barely fit but Samba has room to spare. I really dislike the super long ski bags; this is my third ski bag and clearly my favorite. I can fit both VJJ and Samba with alpine bindings, plus Zest with Dynafit Speed Radical for international travel. Yes, 3 pairs of skis. I was very lucky to not be charged $200 for oversize by 10% with total dimension limit of 203 cm. Counter agent did not take measurements. I also threw in a pair of running shoes, shovel, probe, and skins, total just below 21 kg.

Thanks, @PowderNomad for your review. I contemplated buying DB 2 years ago but Thule won out at a third of the price on clearance then. The Thule material is quite sturdy and well designed. I believe it’s heavier denier than DB.

RuthB

Angel Diva
We have just bought a DB double to replace an old bag. Maybe it depends on colour but one of the things that made it attractive was the denier weight 900D polyester vs 600D polyester on the Dakine Fall line and most other bags that I looked at.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an Athelon molded wheeled bag that seems to combine the best of both worlds with protection and light weight. It unzips fully, and folds into itself for storage during the off season or in the condo. I've been pretty happy with it thus far. It allows me to fit my skis, poles, clothing and toiletries well. My boots and helmet go into a separate boot bag. I think I ordered this one from Sierra Trading Post, but it is available elsewhere. https://www.athalonsportgear.com/st...d_Wheeling_Double_Ski_Bag_-_185cm_-_#904.html

marzNC

Angel Diva
More personal experience to add to the discussion . . .

Have been using a Sportube 2 for almost 10 years. Often only taking one pair of skis, but has been handy to have space for two pairs when my daughter goes to Alta with me during spring break. Got a DB Slim Jim wheeled bag a couple years ago for traveling on short trips with a single pair of skis. Both adjust well to the relatively short length of my skis, which are around 160cm, since I'm petite.

The issue with the Sportube for me is not the weight in the airport, but the bulk after arriving out west. I have the optional pull handle and always roll it. My friends and I found that fitting in two Sportube 2 cases and luggage for three people is tough even in a Range Rover with two ski boxes. We end up with enough skis that only one Sportube 2 could fit in a box. The Slim Jim rolls into a very compact ball for storage or when in the car.

I've also used the Sportube when driving with friends to Massanutten. No ski box on my North Carolina minivan. Can put skis in the Sportube and then pile stuff on top.

I'd traveled with ski bags without wheels in the past. Wouldn't consider not having wheels any more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly