• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spotty Trip Report from Mammoth June 13

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't compose a thorough trip report because ever since I arrived yesterday afternoon all I can do is think "OHMYGOD THIS IS AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M HERE." :hail:

I can say that it got down to 30 degrees last night which was a weeeeeeeee bit chilly for camping, but not terrible.

The skiing was amazing today. Never a lift line, firm snow most of the morning, and then soft hero-snow later. I stayed in the area of Stump Alley eavesdropping on the race coaches and working on my form, such as it is. It's fun to blast down that trail making big ol' turns almost wherever you want.

I kept seeing signs reminding everyone to give all skiers "15 feet of space." Coming from the Poconos, where skiing is a contact sport fueled by Bud Light and selfishness, I had a hearty laugh at the adorable fantasy land Mammoth thought it could create. How naive!

But...nobody came within 15 feet of me on the trails all day.

I stopped in at Footloose Sports later to see if they had any of the cork filler that goes in ZipFits so I could take up a little space in the ankle area of my boots. They were great; that cork is hard to come by, so I was psyched that they even had it, and even more pleased to find a good shop with knowledgable, down-to-earth staff and bootfitters.

Oh, and just for a lark, I'm going to demo the Santa Ana 93 tomorrow just because Footloose had it in my size. I get a kick out of trying different skis and thought I'd see what all the hubub is about this one.

Gotta run and get some work done; I'm lurking in Starbucks for the power outlets. :becky:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent!

Other stuff...Stella Brew is a local coffee place, they might have something going on (music, readings). Looney Beans might too (this is in the RiteAid center), and besides that, I'm sure they have power outlets. If the road's been cleared, drive out to Tamarack Lodge and the two lakes there. The scenery is so worth it. Tamarack might be serving cider or happy hour drinks, they might have a piano guy playing. Mammoth Brewery has beer tasting, and they have the best omg-ly root beer. Sorry if I'm repeating myself from previous posts, but you're in my favorite place on earth so I get gushy.

I saw on FaceBook that they're plowing the road to Minaret Vista, that's more great views. Check out the Mammoth Snowman page on FB. Be safe, and have fun!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No problem, let me know if I can help out. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
I saw Tahoe and Sun Valley had a pretty good dump (for June--5"?) of snow--did you get some?

I kept seeing signs reminding everyone to give all skiers "15 feet of space." Coming from the Poconos, where skiing is a contact sport fueled by Bud Light and selfishness, I had a hearty laugh at the adorable fantasy land Mammoth thought it could create. How naive!

Interesting, I've never seen signs asking anyone to keep distance. Is that because trails are narrower right now, or there are fewer open, or what? (Given that in general western skiing is not like the Poconos).

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well it's on a poster in every bathroom stall. Lol.

Christy

Angel Diva
Do you mean the responsibility code? It says you have to ski in control and not crash into people, but doesn't say to give all skiers 15' of space, and I've sure never seen that as a sign on the slope.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never seen it on the slope, only on the back of the bathroom stall doors which is a picture of Woolly with a 15 foot radius around him along with the number for Ski patrol. I think thats what @SallyCat is referring to?

similar to the posters here: https://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/mountain-information/mountain-information/safety-conduct

where skiing (surfing) is a contact sport fueled by Bud Light (House Beer) and selfishness
that describes my the lineup at my home break on the weekends lol.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's the sign. Sorry it's sideways. @Christy amazingly, the trails are SUPER wide!

@VickiK Mammoth Brewery has great food and beer! Thanks again for steering me there!

I was talking with someone today about the way Mammoth salts its trails. The convo started with me amazed that the afternoon snow was soft, but not stopper-soft, and not super wet and heavy. Thus I learned about the Miracle of the Salt Trucks. They are really aggressive about it, and it shows. The snow is enjoyable from bell to bell. (Yes, I've heard several locals complain about it being "slushy." Listen, you want slush? Come to the East Coast in April. This snow at Mammoth is soft. It's not slushy.

Also, fyi if you camp in any of the nat'l forests, the campgrounds don't have showers. But for ten bucks you can go to the Mammoth Mountain Inn and get a pool pass; use the pool, hot tubs, etc. and then take a shower with towels, soap, and shampoo provided. You do have to share the space in the afternoons with lounging race-team kids who are, in their opinions, super cool and interesting. :rolleyes:
2017-06-13 09.54.57.jpg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok where is that sign? DD and I were trying to figure out. She says maybe she's seen it on the mountain once or twice but she also referred to the bathroom posters? LOL
+1 on the shower/pool.

Take a trip over to June Mt brewery, Ohanas395's has a food truck you can order from and eat inside the brewery. Much more laid back and local than the Eatery. There is also Black Doubt brewing co across from Vons.

also re: the slush, you came in after the cold front.... it will get softer as the weekend goes on....

Yes lots of salt. They have to keep those race kids happy. I always do an end of season complete rinse in the shower to get all that salt off the skis and bindings.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sign is adjacent to the lift line for the Stump Alley Express!

also re: the slush, you came in after the cold front.... it will get softer as the weekend goes on....
Ah, fair enough, that makes sense. Though I heard people describing today's conditions as slush as well. Yeah, I really could have had fun on my carvers this morning and last. It stayed firm for a surprisingly long time.

I was wondering about salt and gear, too. Rinsing everything: excellent idea, thanks!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are great food recs @WaterGirl . Hopefully I remember to check them out when I'm up there in July for the summer so cal diva meet up. Personally I love the spicy margaritas at Robertos Mexican. The food isn't that great there though; good mexican is at Loco Frijole. If you like sushi there's a hidden place in a Snowvcreek Athletic club called the Bistro or a fancier place at called Whitebark at the Westin. I also loved The Mogul for steak and good red wine.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mogul's for steak. Toomey's does a great burger. Roberto's margaritas are the best. Roberto's is walking distance from the condo we're in for the July trip.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've never seen one of those signs anywhere, but I'm all for anything that encourages people to be safer.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Confirmed on gondola earlier today by Dad of race camp participant that Ted was training on mt at least yesterday. Would be more that st anton area that was closed today.

Btw happy gondola running today went to daves on roma side, some untouched cream since last storm. Climax hero snow. It's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly