• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Olympics

altagirl

Staff member
I have to admit - I know I've complained in years past about how I wish they'd show more events...

I just was trying to DVR stuff and my search came up with 1024 possible shows to choose from. ONE THOUSAND TWENTY FOUR. I just keep scrolling down and I'm like holy cow, I'm still looking at the same hour of today....

Which is cool, don't get me wrong. But I'm like wow, information overload trying to pick what to record. My DVR can only record so many things at once.

Last winter olympics I used up our entire DVR box storage recording everything. I admit to not recording curling because I needed to preserve space :smile:

alicie

Angel Diva
I like the set up over here. It's live online, on the telly and fire stick etc. And then it's on on demand afterwards. No need to record anything, you can watch it from the start if you start watching part way through on iplayer. And it lists the different events and stuff so you can pick which one you want.

The swimming is on in the early hours of the morning, well half of it is. So I'm currently watching field hockey whilst waiting for the swimming, I don't get field hockey but we're winning. Watched men's gymnastics earlier. The time difference is annoying so I'm glad the bbc has such good coverage.

Jilly

Staff member
We're 1 hour behind for time with Rio. I thought we were either the same or 1 hour behind. Need to look up my Geography. I'm a winter sport person, but we Canadian's have some players in the game. When I was in Florida in April, we got to watch the canoe and kayak people practice. They just total ignored us on land. I was a pissed. I've met many of the Canadian ski team at organized events and not. Dustin Cook is the most down to earth guy I've met in a long time. He gave us at least 1 hour of his time, and really focused 10 min on a up and coming skier...not yet a racer...kudo's to him.

Going back many years Canada had a lady that won Gold in pistol shooting. Linda Thom is also a CSIA level 2 instructor. She is one interesting person. I've met her twice at CSIA events. 2 years ago the CSIA was celebrating it's 75th year. They had all these Olympians on stage, when one of them saw Linda standing up and applauding them, it was "get your ass up here too"!

There was a CTV Ottawa on line poll this week about interest/watching the summer Olympics...30% would, 70% won't.....Guess we do have ice in our veins.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don't know yet if we can watch events already over, but we were able to stream the gymnastics earlier, so we're happy so far. Glad I know enough about it to have closed my eyes so I didn't see the broken leg there are articles about. DH said it was Theisman-esque.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are in Breck this weekend, and we actually have cable in Breck ... unlike at the house ... so we caught some of the US/France women's soccer game =)

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was a CTV Ottawa on line poll this week about interest/watching the summer Olympics...30% would, 70% won't.....Guess we do have ice in our veins.
Funny you mention this. I'm an American who just moved to Canada and was commenting to friends how disappointed I was with Canada's Olympic coverage today. I guess that explains it! Despite 6+ channels with coverage all day long, all of them seemed to replay the same 3 events all day.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
Well my beef is that we have DirecTv and they are having a dispute with NBC in Boston, so that channel has not been on satellite since mid July. It's really a bummer since it's impacting my watching the Olympics. We can watch it via antenna, but can't DVR anything (which is how we usually watch most everything)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't get field hockey but we're winning

Yeah, my school has a field hockey team; much as I love the kids, I don't watch a lot of the games--I just want to give them longer sticks so they're not awkwardly hunched over.

alicie

Angel Diva
Yeah, my school has a field hockey team; much as I love the kids, I don't watch a lot of the games--I just want to give them longer sticks so they're not awkwardly hunched over.
I've only played it for about an hour in the pouring rain in a very muddy playing field. My school wasn't posh enough for a hockey team, purely football and a bit of rugby. The whole running out of the net when there was a penalty shot was weird. We won so that's always good. Can't say I'll watch it again though. We can choose from every event that is on so I've plenty to choose from.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Get Canadian feeds....we CBC, TSN x 4, and NBC.
We can get CBC when we're at my MIL's up in northern Michigan, but not down here. And I think I tried streaming it before but would have needed a VPN or some such thing, to make it think I was in Canada.

DH's boss has this program to simulate an IP address in whatever country you like. Can't remember what it's called, This us our first olympics without cable.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Funny you mention this. I'm an American who just moved to Canada and was commenting to friends how disappointed I was with Canada's Olympic coverage today. I guess that explains it! Despite 6+ channels with coverage all day long, all of them seemed to replay the same 3 events all day.

The best is to watch it online - we watch it on cbc - you can watch whatever event you want either live or, if the event has already happened, you can watch it on-demand. I love the cbc coverage online.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/index.html

We watched kayaking live this morning and then replayed last night's women's swimming relay. I love all the options!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

That's funny! My family finds NBC better for some non-Olympic sports but we can't stand the American Olympic coverage. We find that while the CBC coverage does focus on Canadian athletes (of course), they show more of the other athletes than NBC does while focusing on the American athletes. I can remember as a kid being in some hotel room on a ski trip watching winter Olympics and we had a choice of NBC or Radio-Canada...and even though my parents don't speak a word of French and I was just starting to learn we picked that!

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's funny! My family finds NBC better for some non-Olympic sports but we can't stand the American Olympic coverage. We find that while the CBC coverage does focus on Canadian athletes (of course), they show more of the other athletes than NBC does while focusing on the American athletes. I can remember as a kid being in some hotel room on a ski trip watching winter Olympics and we had a choice of NBC or Radio-Canada...and even though my parents don't speak a word of French and I was just starting to learn we picked that!
I think my preference for NBC is more the nostalgia from watching the Olympics as a child that those familiar commentator voices drum up... and I'm just more of a fan of the mainstream sports anyways. I also got turned off by a side-handed comment against Americans I heard on CBC. Can't remember what it was and most people wouldn't even be bothered by it, but I've also experienced an over-abundance of annoying anti-American comments while living here. Because of it, I've been enjoying opportunities to celebrate my USA pride more than other Olympics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly