• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yay there are riders who ski here!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant
Oh, wow, he was a looker! I'm sorry you lost him, far too young. Seems a bit fitting to leave him on a ski hill.

I'll see if I can find any pics of Barkon and Adam....two of my all time favorite horses ever, both Arabs.
For now, I'll share Le Roi (Rapid Testamony) , my current OTTB. Nearly 20 now, we've had a decade together.

Good luck in scottsdale! You should post about how it goes. (With pics!)

Le Roi, last summer
Thanks, Brooke. He was as kind as he was beautiful.

Le Roi is REALLY nice. Look at that hip! :drool:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the name Le Roi. It can go fancy in the French way, Le Rwah, or be good ol' fun loving Lee-roy. :becky:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I miss having horses in my life. I grew up on horseback, eventing mostly. My family bred Arabians but as much as I love them (nothing beats an Arab face) I've always had a soft spot for the bigger warmbloods. I love a big tall scopey horse...probably because cross -country is by far my favorite event. I only get to ride now and then unfortunately and I miss it so much... I have 20 acres that needs some tending before we're ready for horses but it will happen eventually. Both of my neighbors have horses but they suck so I can't get in on that. :frown:
Funny but reading this thread just turned a light on in my head about my posture while skiing... never connected that before but a lifetime of riding before ever skiing totally makes me understand why I do what I do sometimes!

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@COchick You wouldnt like my guy then. Hes all of 15.3 with shoes on and close coupled. Hes super cat like though and super adjustable. Just a cool, but definately quirky, horse.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lost my most beloved boy, who carried me to many championships right up to the nationals, in August to laminitis. He was 13. I miss him dearly and will be spreading his ashes on the ski hill this week. Carangi+/ better known as "Chachee".

WHAT?!?!?! Carangi passed away?!?!?!? I had no idea. I was just wondering if you guys were still competing. Sh&t. I'm so sorry to hear this.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WHAT?!?!?! Carangi passed away?!?!?!? I had no idea. I was just wondering if you guys were still competing. Sh&t. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Thanks, Serafina. I still can't believe he's gone some days. I've lost two really special ones in a row. It's no wonder I haven't bonded much with my new one. Don't want to go through that heartache again.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the name Le Roi. It can go fancy in the French way, Le Rwah, or be good ol' fun loving Lee-roy. :becky:

Ha! His actual name is Rapid Testamony. Apparently, his original barn name was Teste.

Yes. Seriously. I have letters from his trainers written to the woman that bought him off the track (from whom I later bought him), referencing him as Teste.

Thankfully, this woman reduced him Le roi. It suits him but my french is none existant, so it comes out 'lah roy'

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Serafina. I still can't believe he's gone some days. I've lost two really special ones in a row. It's no wonder I haven't bonded much with my new one. Don't want to go through that heartache again.

I can believe that. I know that awful day will come for Huey, but every time I think about it, my brain just slides right off, refuses to engage.

Laminitis, too, which I assume means that you had to make that terrible decision for him. If so, that's both the kindest and hardest thing you can do for another being, freeing them from a pain without end.

:hug:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can believe that. I know that awful day will come for Huey, but every time I think about it, my brain just slides right off, refuses to engage.

Laminitis, too, which I assume means that you had to make that terrible decision for him. If so, that's both the kindest and hardest thing you can do for another being, freeing them from a pain without end.

:hug:

Yes, I did. And I have second-guessed that decision every day since. He was still bright and cheerful til the end, just couldn't move any more. And 3 vets and 2 farriers told me there was nothing else we could do.
This was the day we had him laid to rest. My daughter giving him carrots
11900044_10207766081216342_1314128137494989817_n.jpg

A few weeks prior, he was watching my daughter take a lesson on another horse, and he was definitely wondering WHY she wasn't riding him. Broke my heart. I was still sure we'd pull him through at that point.
11737862_10207513876191374_20377518417503721_n.jpg

He was gorgeous, I am so sorry.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@COchick You wouldnt like my guy then. Hes all of 15.3 with shoes on and close coupled. Hes super cat like though and super adjustable. Just a cool, but definately quirky, horse.

Hey now I still love the Arabs! LOL! One of my best jumpers was actually a Welsh x TB and she was just 15.3 but could clear a fence like nobody's business. I'm partial to greys too... He's gorgeous Jersey!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Contesstant.... so sad. Lovely boy.

It's nice to see all these English riders! I prefer it of course but around here mostly everyone rides Western. Which has its place of course (I do love a good barrel race and nice trails) but in my mind nothing beats the exhilaration of the fences.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
God, he was beautiful. And you guys looked so good together. Huey gets upset too if he's laid off due to lameness and I ride some other horse. I'm sure you've second guessed it every day, but much better to send him out on a good note than to let him wither away and pay the price because you couldn't bring yourself to do it. You did the right thing. I'm sure of it.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I did. And I have second-guessed that decision every day since. He was still bright and cheerful til the end, just couldn't move any more. And 3 vets and 2 farriers told me there was nothing else we could do.
This was the day we had him laid to rest. My daughter giving him carrots
11900044_10207766081216342_1314128137494989817_n.jpg

A few weeks prior, he was watching my daughter take a lesson on another horse, and he was definitely wondering WHY she wasn't riding him. Broke my heart. I was still sure we'd pull him through at that point.
11737862_10207513876191374_20377518417503721_n.jpg

Wow, he really was a good looking boy. It's the absolute hardest when they are still young and otherwise seem.fine and it's a mechanical issue like this. Impossible not to second guess, anyone would. But you did the right thing. Absolutely. They don't think ahead to the future like we, they just know the present moment. Pain or no pain. And living in pain is no way to live.

Sigh. :/

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Long as we're posting pics, here's Huey, my Dutch Warmblood. He's a retired GP show jumper. His daddy is Emilion, and this apple didn't fall too far from the tree based on that article. His forelegs took a real beating on the show circuit, so we stick to dressage. Or we did, until I got an injury from a fall that is taking FOREVER to rehab - really whacked my piriformis, and if you want to injure something that will comprehensively screw up your seat, the piriformis is the way to go. Anyway, he's more or less on an extended vacation until I'm not lame...at which point, doubtless, he will put another hole in his tendon sheath, or whang up his suspensory again...at this point, between his issues and mine, I'm reconciled to just hanging out with him. Fortunately, he's really good company, has personality times 100. As we can see from this photobomb. I hired a professional photographer to do a photo shoot of us in the fall of 2013. The colors in this image look crappy after shrinking it for upload, but you get the idea. Can't believe it's been that long...

Attachments

• huey photobomb.jpg
    huey photobomb.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He was gorgeous :(

He was gorgeous, I am so sorry.

God, he was beautiful. And you guys looked so good together. Huey gets upset too if he's laid off due to lameness and I ride some other horse. I'm sure you've second guessed it every day, but much better to send him out on a good note than to let him wither away and pay the price because you couldn't bring yourself to do it. You did the right thing. I'm sure of it.

Thanks, ladies. He truly rounded out my life. Caring for him whether healthy or laminitic was an absolute joy. He was a real character with a heart of gold. ALWAYS happy. Talkative. Fun to show! I have been mourning him since he passed. Going to scatter his ashes up on the mountain this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly