• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Heat Poll

What non-skiing sports do you do?

• Biking

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Climbing

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Golfing

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Hiking, Walking

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Horseback Riding

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Running

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Skating (roller & inline & ice)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Surfing or other melted snow-related (Scuba, swimming, boating, etc)

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Dancing (aerobic, Zumba, salsa, swing, tap, square, whatever moves you)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
pinto said:
In summer I go to the mountains as much as I can but not as much as I do in winter. When I'm at home, I sit around in the a/c and bitch about the heat. And usually gain 5 lb.

Huh. I lose my appetite when it's hot out.

altagirl

Staff member
I lose my will to exercise when I'm overly hot, but not to eat, unfortunately. The only thing that ever puts a dent in my appetite is being really sick.

Thankfully, I'm becoming more and more adaptable to heat with the years of hot yoga. So these days it's pretty rare for me to really feel hot.

altagirl

Staff member
Nothing kills my appetite. Not even the stomach flu. It's really sad.

I know that feeling. It kills my appetite for like 12 hours, maybe a day. 2nd day, I can still be throwing up but my appetite comes back (in force) before the nausea goes away. It's so, so wrong.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know that feeling. It kills my appetite for like 12 hours, maybe a day. 2nd day, I can still be throwing up but my appetite comes back (in force) before the nausea goes away. It's so, so wrong.

When DH gets sick in any way, he doesn't move from the bed for days at a time and consumes nothing but small amounts of Gatorade. I don't think he quite believes that I'm sick because I tend to wander from room to room and definitely still eat no matter how ill I am.

mustski

Angel Diva
When DH gets sick in any way, he doesn't move from the bed for days at a time and consumes nothing but small amounts of Gatorade. I don't think he quite believes that I'm sick because I tend to wander from room to room and definitely still eat no matter how ill I am.
When I was a kid, we rarely had junk food in the house. Whenever we were sick, or recovering from a dental visit, mom bought us cheeseburgers from a fast food joint called "Harvey's."
To this day, I crave cheeseburgers when I am sick or suffering. They even took away my morning sickness when I was prego. And yes, that is just SO unfair!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exercise kills my appetite (immediately, at least, not the long term). DD actually eats more when she is sick.

I don't think I gain summer weight because I am eating that much more, but I do think I burn calories faster in the cold. I also like to experiment with cocktails in summer, and I'm sure that doesn't help. Winter, just give me a Manhattan, a beer, or red wine, and I'm good. Summer, I get out the herbs and the fruits and the muddler and start going crazy.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exercise kills my appetite (immediately, at least, not the long term). DD actually eats more when she is sick.

I don't think I gain summer weight because I am eating that much more, but I do think I burn calories faster in the cold. I also like to experiment with cocktails in summer, and I'm sure that doesn't help. Winter, just give me a Manhattan, a beer, or red wine, and I'm good. Summer, I get out the herbs and the fruits and the muddler and start going crazy.

Being cold definitely burns more calories. It's science!

alicie

Angel Diva
I don't remember the last time I was ill, so I've no idea whether it reduces my appetite or not.

Swimming just makes me want to eat everything almost as soon as I'm finished swimming. No other exercise really does that.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Swimming just makes me want to eat everything almost as soon as I'm finished swimming. No other exercise really does that.

I find just being near the water does this to me, but especially swimming. I hear again that this is related to being submerged in water resulting in lowered body temps.

I am always hungry, its very rare that something will kill my appetite. I rarely get sick but even then I still eat normally. Activities like surfing and skiing have me STARVING afterwards. When its crazy hot and I am outside I definitely eat less but it really takes a lot to make my appetite disappear. DH teases me because I am discussing ideas for dinner while we are still having breakfast.

If its a gym night and I have a smoothie for dinner I usually wake up starving the next morning too.

OMG me too, I can't imagine not experiencing the joy of eating/cooking. One of my greatest joys is a fabulous meal; either home cooked or out. Top it off with a craft beer or otherwise fabulous tasting adult beverage and I am as happy as a pig in you know what.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna