• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Are the any Knitting Ski Divas in the Group?

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What nice places do you have in mind?

All over the Alps and the western states of US. I am sooo looking forward to skiing season now.

Gets me intrigued. I dearly love wool, but it seems today that the huge majority of wool sweaters are either cashmere or really fine (translation: thin) merino. I want an old-fashioned thick wool sweater, and a little itch is fine because I want to wear it under a camisole and a cozy turtleneck. I did see some this summer...at specialty boutiques charging well over $200 per sweater. Granted, they were handmade out of great wool, but, oh my goodness! Maybe knitting is the way to go. (Unless good wool yarn costs $200.)

How long before you become sweater-competent? I can see myself spending the next ten years on scarves.

"Please, won't you take another scarf?"

"No, Deanna! You've already given me fifteen!"

I guess scarves are better than potholders. That's as far as I got when I was ten.

Try Ravelry. Has to be the best place for looking for yarn and pattern. There you can easily search for pattern and choose how difficult you want it to be. I am currently knitting St Kilda which is pretty simple.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi knitting skiing divas, Vogue Knitting Live is taking place in L.A. in a couple of weeks. Here's the link below. Are any divas going? I haven't signed up yet, not sure if I want to go, due to time/money constraints and priorities.

https://vogueknittinglive.com/shows/la11/home

Info for 1/2 price Marketplace tix:
Half-Price Marketplace Tickets
Vogue Knitting values loyal, preferred subscribers and wants to help you get to Vogue Knitting LIVE in Los Angeles September 23–25. For a limited time, Marketplace tickets are 50% off!
At the Marketplace you’ll find non-stop fashion shows, yarn tastings and free demonstrations—plus you can shop ’til you drop! This offer is available only to preferred subscribers and won’t last long. Don’t wait until you’re at the door and have to pay full price!
To access this special offer enter this
promo code: halfoff2.
Offer expires Tuesday, September 13, 2011.

Swissly1

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All over the Alps and the western states of US. I am sooo looking forward to skiing season now.

Try Ravelry. Has to be the best place for looking for yarn and pattern. There you can easily search for pattern and choose how difficult you want it to be. I am currently knitting St Kilda which is pretty simple.

Look for wool on sale in late spring and summer. There you'll find great quality for half the price. Or check out a liquidation sale, or a garage sale. You never know.:goodluck:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sorry for not providing the doggie sweater pattern. It's in a book and I need to find it amongst my library mess. Feel free to remind me again !

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thought I'd bring back this thread. Some of you may know that I have a small alpaca farm, with 21 animals. A while ago, we had a logo designed and a domain name reserved. I never had the time, extra money, or creative inclination to do a website. I knit because it is meditative and relaxing, and while I can do pretty much anything with needles, I'm a yeoman knitter and not a creative sort.

I'm not really into pushing the sale of the animals or pushing the yarn; a gallery in the ski town where I work sells the yarn on consignment and I have no interest in fulfilling orders from my house with an e-commerce website. So, it never made any sense and I was frankly afraid of the process. However, the gallery owner turned me onto WIX and I was able to create my own website in a day. I can't believe how easy it was and at least when someone wants to know about the farm, there's a place they can go. I hope it doesn't look to cheesy. Feedback of all sorts will be welcome!

So, here it is, yarn lovers and knitters. Check out the animals and the blog for a picture of our newest little cria, "Taft." www.columbinehill.com

A very good friend who also is a diva just had her 2nd grandbaby, and since I got up at 6 a.m. today to take care of some outside chores before the rain started, I am going to sit down and knit a hat. I am embarrassed to say that I have a stash of my own yarn and commercial stuff that takes up an entire spare bedroom. There's plenty to chose from, but since I also have about 400 skeins of newly mini-mill spun yarn on my dining room table, I think I'll start there.

Finally, did you guys know there's a knitting skier group on Ravelry called "Snow Fans?" I'm in it and I'd love to see it be more active. With a few divas in it, I know it will be!

alicie

Angel Diva
I've knitted a ski person, goggles helmet and all. It's even got skis and poles though those aren't knitted.
image.jpg

And a hiker person and a Santa. I've also knitted one jumper and have 3 partially finished jumpers and one partially finished hoodie and 3 partially finished blankets. I tend to start things get bored and move onto another project.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the :bump:.
I'm VickiKech on Revelry. I just joined the Snow Fans group. I've been knitting since 2008. Am an advanced intermediate. Funny, that's what I'd say about my skiing.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thanks for the :bump:.
I'm VickiKech on Revelry. I just joined the Snow Fans group. I've been knitting since 2008. Am an advanced intermediate. Funny, that's what I'd say about my skiing.
Ski Diva, I posted a thread on Ravelry's Snow Fans group about the forum. Wonder if anyone will find it.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I've knitted a ski person, goggles helmet and all. It's even got skis and poles though those aren't knitted.
View attachment 4107

And a hiker person and a Santa. I've also knitted one jumper and have 3 partially finished jumpers and one partially finished hoodie and 3 partially finished blankets. I tend to start things get bored and move onto another project.
That is fantastic. Is it a pattern you purchased or did you design it yourself!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thanks, VK. I am such a luddite. At some point, I may decide to set up an e-commerce site one of these days, but for now, I am doing this because I love to write and it's a fun way for me to "journal."

alicie

Angel Diva
That is fantastic. Is it a pattern you purchased or did you design it yourself!

Kind of half and half. It was a basic person then I adjusted the hair to make the helmet and made the collar and goggles myself. The basic person was a jean greenhowe person. It took some quite inventive sewing, which I'm terrible at, to get it looking right. The poles are long lollipop sticks with leccy tape and the skis are cardboard from an old ring binder with leccy tape on that are sewed into the feet. I did write the whole pattern out so I could do it again but I'm not quite sure where it's gone.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a knitter too!! And I do a little bit of crochet. I crocheted a cowl last year and took it to the mountain and realized if I made it longer I could make me a neckwarmer super easy. I just need a yarn that sheds less. The Loops and Threads I used was not cover -your-mouth friendly.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm a knitter but now do just basic stuff like cowls, hats, scarves, fingerless mittens... no brainer kind of stuff. But I love all the wonderful yarns and tend to like all the pricey ones. Darn.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hats are my go-to instant gratification project, especially in a quality bulky yarn.
Yes only quality yarns... I love them.... Have some Rowan yarns that are waiting for me....have some arthritis /tendonitis in my hands so take breaks from knitting from time to time... Currently have two neck warmers waiting for me to finish...

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Yes only quality yarns... I love them.... Have some Rowan yarns that are waiting for me....have some arthritis /tendonitis in my hands so take breaks from knitting from time to time... Currently have two neck warmers waiting for me to finish...

Which yarn are you using for the neckwarmers?

I can't find anything wool and bulky that isn't a shedding machine.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used Imperial Yarn Native Twist for a hat (pattern attached). Used size 11 needles. It was very fast. I left off the pompom.

Attachments

• Calzetta_Dec2014.pdf
    237.6 KB · Views: 6

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Nice hat!

Last bulky one I made was the Man Hat for the husband. He made me do it short so I doesn't cover all the way down his ears. He loves it. I would not wear a winter hat that doesn't cover the ears. I thought it was a weird request but as long as he's wearing it... :noidea:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly