• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gear Addiction - Support Group!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good current sale per STP’s latest “Deal Flyer” - one of their better ones, plus .99 ship for $75+. Lots of socks, good time to stock up? Good variety of SmartWools, avg $7-8.

Someone who posts here cross-posted on Epic about “you’ve saved $1,800 over retail” - or similar #. Ha, @pinto , eh? :wink: We Are The Champions?

I really don’t get serious about stuff until it’s at least 50% off. Then I’m shopping.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
OK. I received the jacket today and I am not in love. It would be perfect for backpacking or backcountry use, as it is extremely light and breathable. I am very rough with all my clothing, shoes, belongings, gear, and this jacket seems too fragile for me. The GoreTex Active material is very thin and seems almost like tissue paper. I recommend it for anyone looking for a very breathable, yet protective layer. Being on the East Coast, it does not seem "thick" enough to be my primary shell against the frigid cold. Sending it back tomorrow, so it should be available again on backcountry.com next week or so....Thanks for listening to my interior monologues...The jacket quest has not ended, so I'm sure there will be more...

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
After trying the jacket on again with full layers underneath, i feel that it is a bit snug in the belly area. I wore a t-shirt, a thick long sleeve base layer, and a fleece vest underneath. At that point, it was feeling a bit snug around the belly. I am not sure how comfortable it would be if I topped it off with my light down jacket , which would be the case on a frigid east coast day (i.e. -10F PLUS wind chill factor)....However, after seeing it in the full length mirror, it does look cool/sharp, and it has some very nicely thought-out design. The coolest detail was that the arms are a bit longer and the cuffs go all the way down to your fingers if you want them to. The wrist gaitors are made of a silk-like material that feels too delicate for me. You could totally fit your gloves on up to the forearms comfortably if you wanted to. Now I am thinking this could be my everyday cycling jacket...but really should return before I think too much on it...

Pictures are attached.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only pullover 3/4 zip top I liked was a polar fleece item that I'd wear like a sweater.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel crazy continually posting here, but hey, it is a "support group"...right?!

Here is the new jacket I just bought. Will wait for it to arrive before I send the pink one off...Of course, I have to compare both to make sure the pink one is "wrong"....

https://www.backcountry.com/norrna-narvik-gore-tex-2l-performance-shell-jacket-womens

View attachment 4029

Don't worry; you can't go wrong posting about gear here. I like the look of this jacket much better. It has more of a ski jacket look to it. I like the shoulder pocket. Looks like there's a chest pocket too? Might be a little slim around the waist if you want to stuff your low pockets. I like the look of the neck and the hood.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am definitely in the market for a shell jacket. California's 4 year drought is guaranteed to end as soon as I find the perfect shell! That said, I can't find one with enough pockets. I am not a pocket nazi or anything, but one inside pocket would be nice.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am definitely in the market for a shell jacket. California's 4 year drought is guaranteed to end as soon as I find the perfect shell! That said, I can't find one with enough pockets. I am not a pocket nazi or anything, but one inside pocket would be nice.

Look at FlyLow. They do a great job with pockets. The Masala shell is on a great sale on Sierra Trading Post right now. (Let us know if you need a coupon code for add'l discount)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My key code today is ANF5684U.

Takes that jacket down to $137. It isn't quite as refined as the Norrøna in fit, but it's a super nice coat, and as I said, FlyLow's pockets are the best.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I purchased the FlyLow Masala from Sierra at around that same price. I thought it had great features, was well made, and greenish color with contrasting zippers was nice. I got the XS and say that was true to size. However, I sent it back because I guess it didn't totally wow me. It is great if you are looking for a technical shell, which I was…. I was on Sierra yesterday looking at that jacket trying to remember why I sent it back. On another note, has anyone heard of Mountain Force ski wear?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I purchased the FlyLow Masala from Sierra at around that same price. I thought it had great features, was well made, and greenish color with contrasting zippers was nice. I got the XS and say that was true to size. However, I sent it back because I guess it didn't totally wow me. It is great if you are looking for a technical shell, which I was…. I was on Sierra yesterday looking at that jacket trying to remember why I sent it back. On another note, has anyone heard of Mountain Force ski wear?

lol ... just laughing with you. (Sometimes I receive clothing or gear in the mail, and don't remember even buying it.) I think that sub-$150 price for the Masala is one of the better values you will ever find, btw. But it is a couple of seasons old, the updated verson is the Billie coat, which is a three-layer jacket. I spent a bit of time at the FlyLow booth at SIA, but I am only remembering the guys' stuff ... they have the Lab Coat and Genius Jacket, which are both NeoShell as opposed to Intuitive, and are very light. But I can't remember if they were adding a women's version or not....

And yes, I know people who loooove Mountain Force. I have no experience with it, though.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier I discovered Mountain Force while randomly searching ..... I posted a picture in the "down skirt" thread bc they feature a model skiing in the skirt....... I love the colors in this years collection...... who sells their line in the US? There are a few older pieces on stp If I recall ....... but its $$$$ for the current line?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier
https://store.colesport.com/ has some of the current collection.... just to enable.... ;)
but its up there w/ Bogner for $$$ ..... even at 50% off......

as far as the gear addiction goes..... I am some what into researching, partly b/c I'm getting back into skiing after some time and as a competitive athlete for most of my life, I am interested in the technology etc..... that being said, I can relate somewhat to @kasuncion6 in researching and looking to see whats out there, but only when its something I feel I need..... had a hole in my ski quiver, and after much research and demo can honestly say that when I bought what I was looking for it was a relief and I stopped looking at ski items on the internet ( whew) ..... it can get kind of OCD.... not denying that I don't have a mountain full of goat stickers etc..... however, I will say, I do try to purchase at my mountain shop when ever I can get what I want, I prefer to support those that support me throughout the year...... the online research is to see what alternatives are out there, and to get what I can't find on mountain .........

marzNC

Angel Diva
For me, any Flylow jacket has sleeves that are way too long.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have 2 Outdoor Research jackets which I purchased late last year, and have used a lot this year.

This one is a shell:

It has 3 outside pockets, one inside pocket, pit zips, a hood, etc. It's been great for the warmest conditions I've skied in this spring. I also purchased some unlined Haglofs pants, which combined for a good spring outfit.

Unfortunately I can't find this jacket in the current STP catalog, though there are similar items.

On another note, I purchased a pair of Nordica Wildfire skis from Evo early this season. After using them at Big Sky, I purchased a duplicate pair on EBay. I love love love these skis for all conditions, so for once I am not reading about the next generation of skis.

I really do not need any ski items of any kind. However, in the last month I bought 2 base/mid layers. I absolutely will have to give some old ones away early next season.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier
https://store.colesport.com/ has some of the current collection.... just to enable.... ;)
but its up there w/ Bogner for $$$ ..... even at 50% off...…

Ah… I just ordered some Mountain Force ski pants at :
https://startingate.net

I had a $350 credit b/c I ordered some pants a few years ago that completely fell apart… I emailed the store with a photo and was told to send them back.. I was given full credit which is awesome… The pants I ordered are called the Mountain Force Rider III… I ordered the arrowhead color in a size 34 which is like a 2 I think. The sale price was $249……check them out… Not sure if they will fit b/c even thought I am petite and don't way a lot, my body weight (sadly) has shifted a bit and I'm not tiny in the waist anymore. More of uni - body… thank you menopause.

as far as the gear addiction goes..... I am some what into researching, partly b/c I'm getting back into skiing after some time and as a competitive athlete for most of my life, I am interested in the technology etc..... that being said, I can relate somewhat to @kasuncion6 in researching and looking to see whats out there, but only when its something I feel I need..... had a hole in my ski quiver, and after much research and demo can honestly say that when I bought what I was looking for it was a relief and I stopped looking at ski items on the internet ( whew) ..... it can get kind of OCD.... not denying that I don't have a mountain full of goat stickers etc..... however, I will say, I do try to purchase at my mountain shop when ever I can get what I want, I prefer to support those that support me throughout the year...... the online research is to see what alternatives are out there, and to get what I can't find on mountain .........

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
For me, any Flylow jacket has sleeves that are way too long.
I can't remember, but I do have short arms so nothing new… I can't even remember why I sent it back. I think it was kind of blah on me. I do like a bit of pizazz in my ski clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly