• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL. I forgot I had that. My late cat was named Oscar.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just read The Girl in the Road. I'm surprised that two books with such similar titles got published in the same year.

Did you like The Girl on the Train?

I loved it. I thought it was very interesting. Each main character takes their turn narrating a chapter so once you get used to who's actually telling the story it flows really nicely. I enjoyed it very much!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, my heart is exploding! Love to hear people talking about books :smile: So a funny thing about some librarians...we don't always have time/want to read. I'm around so many books all day, it's the last thing I want to look at when I get home. On the other hand, sometimes we're reading 5 things at once. I'm on a non-fiction kick lately, and when I get my act together I will start with:

Deep survival : who lives, who dies, and why : true stories of miraculous endurance and sudden death / Laurence Gonzales. (This book came across my desk recently, and though it's ten years old, it still seems relevant. After reading Powder mag's "The Human Factor" series and all of the discussion here about fear/anxiety on the slopes, I'm becoming fascinated with decision making and risk-taking in skiing.)

Data and Goliath : the hidden battles to collect your data and control your world / Bruce Schneier. (very hot topic in Silicon Valley right now)

The urban cycling survival guide : need-to-know skills and strategies for biking in the city / Yvonne Bambrick ; illustrated by Marc Ngui. (I haven't gotten on a bike in about 10 years, but I want to look into biking between work and the train station to save time & headaches)

Also going to read A Conversation with Fear this summer.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's heavy-duty, @DeweySki . Will you be diluting it with something like Harry Potter or Maeve Binchy for the sake of sanity? :wink:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Harry Potter drives me insane. It falls solidly into that "because it's targeted to kids, the kids NEVER ask the adults for help" segment that makes me want to scream. Hey guys, I'm getting death threats from the most notorious serial killer in our world ... wait, ask for help from highly knowledgeable and experienced adults all around me? What, are you nuts?

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love to read. Just finished "Into Thin Air" about the tragic Mt. Everest expedition. Interesting that one of the fellows is from my hometown, Bloomfield. While I love to day hike, I have no desire to go further than that.

Just prior read "In the Kingdom of Ice" about the North Pole expedition. Fascinating to read how strong the desire to explore is in certain people.

Next up is "Girl on the Train" and " "Cellist of Sarajevo".

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Love to read. Just finished "Into Thin Air" about the tragic Mt. Everest expedition. Interesting that one of the fellows is from my hometown, Bloomfield. While I love to day hike, I have no desire to go further than that.

Just prior read "In the Kingdom of Ice" about the North Pole expedition. Fascinating to read how strong the desire to explore is in certain people.

Next up is "Girl on the Train" and " "Cellist of Sarajevo".

Oh, Into The Thin Air is geat, as is In The Kingdom of Ice. Both are great books!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I read Into Thin Air on a plane trip… Great book and i hear they are making a movie!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an on-and-off reader. I was never seen without a pile of books until I got into the years in school where free time to read was non-existent (I didn't even read most of my school books...) and then once that became a year-round thing the habit kind of dropped. That, and if you give me a book you probably won't get me to get my nose out of it until it is finished.

I also won't start a book until I've finished the previous one, which means right now I'm stuck about 2/3 through Les Mis and had about enough of Victor Hugo's rambling for now.

The most recent things I finished were The Cat's Table (good, but very typical of Michael Ondaatje's work in style, love it or hate it), and Born Under a Million Shadows, which I could take or leave.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh, Into The Thin Air is geat, as is In The Kingdom of Ice. Both are great books!
Kingdom of Ice, Girl on the Train, and your two books are next on my list. Just finished "The Lifeboat."

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also won't start a book until I've finished the previous one, which means right now I'm stuck about 2/3 through Les Mis and had about enough of Victor Hugo's rambling for now.

Reading technical books was what got me into the habit of reading several books at a time. Some of those books I've had to plug away at for literal *years*.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Currently reading Clive Cussler's "Havana Storm". I've enjoyed almost all of his novels - the characters and their adventures.

The other novel I have with me is an autographed copy by a local Mammoth author. Title: " Back to Normal" by Debbie Boucher. It was given to me as a gift by a fellow skier who won it in an auction. I frankly don't expect very much, but since it's set in Mammoth I have to give it a try.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shtetngart. Very much in the vein of Vonnegut or Tom Robbins, who I LOVE.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini and Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas.Both were very enjoyable and perfect holiday reads.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Khaled Hosseini
I loved Kite Runner but haven't tried his other stuff.

I'm feeling in a Carl Hiaasen mood. I've read Sick Puppy and Skinny Dip and really liked them. Any recommendations for another? Love the cover designs of his books, though you know what they say....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly