• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inline skating

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are you getting if you spend more??
The higher end models have bigger wheels and higher quality bearings=faster. Plus they have different lacing systems.

More expensive skates are also more likely to have stiffer and/or metal frames: less shock absorption, but more stability/control.

that this set up would make the skates "carve" better ... said usually if you were going to change out the wheel size you would have small/big/ big/ small wheels to make a "rocker" set up....

I hadn't heard that about that as the benefit of the hi-lo set-up. Good to know. My current skates have a slight camber to them, which makes it difficult to do most of the turning/carving moves I've been trying. I thought about getting new wheels (and bearings, which definitely are not up to par) for a rocker set-up, but @dianakate has successfully talked me into buying a new pair altogether. (Thank you!) It seems rocker/camber/hi-lo combos generally use just 1mm difference in height (2 mm difference in diameter).

Jilly

Staff member
I'm going to check with the shop tomorrow, but I think the more expensive skates have carbon fiber chassis. Lighter and stronger. Not sure what the shop carries, but I know it's only K2 this year.

dianakate

Angel Diva
The hi-lo set up is great. My K2s are 80 in front 84 in back. My old ones were 82 all 4 wheels. The new ones are more maneuverable and I can carve more which is why I think I'm so much faster now. So I would say to look for that type of setup.

And I can't imagine skating over cobblestones, I hate it when there are are ebev lots of branches or stray mulch on my skating trail!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the more expensive skates have carbon fiber chassis. Lighter and stronger.

Funny, I noticed that, but it didn't register with me that that would be "more advanced" than metal. Maybe I'm not as obsessed with technical specs as I thought I was. Phew.

Jilly

Staff member
On the cobblestones, you place one foot ahead of the other for better balance. The bridges are short - over pond outlets, like a creek....I'll have get Lizzy out and take some pics.

Jilly

Staff member
I talk to the shop today and the more expensive K2's have:

better boots - just like ski boots
better bearings - just like buckles on ski boots
better and or bigger wheels
better chassis material - lower end - hard plastic, then a composite of aluminum and plastic, then finally in the high end it's cast aluminum. When you see VO2.2 on the K2 website - it's the cast aluminum. No carbon fibre. Way to many $$.

I can look at the dealer book anytime we need info.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the cobblestones, you place one foot ahead of the other for better balance.

I have had a real hard time doing that even indoors, and just realized that upper body commitment into the step/turn (sound familiar?) helps a lot. Looking forward to translating this to the slopes, but, in the mean time, my turns are getting faster, and I may be terrorizing the birthday parties at the rink... :fear:

Jilly

Staff member
We have a wonderful trail. The only problem is little dogs on invisible retractable leashes!! There is a line right down the middle, just like a road, so that everyone can share the road....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes dogs can be problematic - some hate the sound of the wheels.... I usually slow down until I see how they are reacting.....

I'm dealing w/ too much sand on the path - usually they "sweep" it on a regular basis...

@Fluffy Kitty I have been there in the mix of the bday party at the rink!! too funny!

btw I thought one ski slightly in front of the other when speeding across the flats, 'just incase' you hit something --
and I put one skate in front when going over cracks etc......

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been really focusing on upper body commitment into the turn... and I caught myself doing it while driving... Scary thing is, it felt like it helped the turn! :becky:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@dianakate @Jilly @Fluffy Kitty

I really think its worth it to invest in the HiLo set up and the higher end boot if you are really practicing your carving. Santa brought DD a pair of K2 Kinetic 78 a womens entry level skate. I decided to switch skates last week with DD as she commented that she couldn't "carve"....(we are 1/2 shoe size apart).

The Kinetic have 4 same size wheels and the boot is not as nice as my older K2s with hi low set up and aluminum frame. I totally understood why she couldn't carve and why she didn't want to skate very long as these boots became a bit painful and it was very hard to initiate the carve unless you were on your heels..... I do think the K2 is built for more of an average or narrow foot...

I see K2 does have a kids skate w/ high low set up called the "Charm" interestingly it allows you to adjust the boot size by moving the toe box forward. Which made me wonder if as you lengthen the center point/ ball of foot more toward the front two wheels, would that change the way you balanced on the skate? (like mounting ski bindings forward of the factory mount?)

For now we will switch when we skate together (I'll work a little harder with the Kinetic) - I will see if I can change out the wheels on her Kinetic to a Hi Lo set up. I may have to upgrade her to a bigger skate anyway as her feet are growing.....

I really think skating is such a great off season way to stay in shape for skiing - not only does it use similar parallel stance muscles, but as I posted in the cycle stoke thread there is something to be said about complimentary parallel sports that keep your mind focused at speed -- you have to look ahead and anticipate whats down your path and react accordingly. For kids I think its important to learn those processing and balancing skills whether on a bicycle or skates.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
here is a link to the k2 skates for 2014 with explanation of the hi low system

https://fitnessblog.inlinewarehouse.com/?p=145
This is so interesting. I went in line skating today here in Santa Cruz for the first time in many months. My skates are the k2 Celena with 90 mm wheels and are several years old. Now I think I want the hi-low set up… Makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing the link.

Jilly

Staff member
I'd have to buy new skates....mine are Salomon...yeah they made skates at one time...

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Does anyone have suggestions for a light weight summer wrist guard? Mine are full wraps and they get really hot and sweaty in the summer.

My father has a pair from Rollerblade called, xtra vented that are completely open at the sides. He has had them for years but I can't seem to find a pair like it.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, I did not find roller blades website to be that helpful, the picture came from another site so may not be the same as currently offered? -- but was thinking the set would be an upgrade for what DD has now......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly