• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rip van Winkle wakes up and wants to ski

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
It's been 10 years (maybe even 11) since I last skied, and things have changed. What do I REALLY need now? My skis were used only a half season, and were a blast. I'd be willing to use them again, if the bindings are still ok. My boots, though.....they must now be 20 years old. And everyone wears helmets now! That used to be a rarity, unless you were racing. Where to begin, and how to prioritize?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Prioritize: boots from a bootfitter then helmet. Skis come last. You can always rent or demo to help decide.
And yaay for waking up wanting to ski again!!

Where are you located?

mustski

Angel Diva
I agree. Boots are the absolute most important piece of equipment. Well fitting boots = a good day of skiing. There is a good chance that the bindings on your old skis on not on the indemnified list because of their age. If they are not, no shop will adjust them for you.

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
I agree. Boots are the absolute most important piece of equipment. Well fitting boots = a good day of skiing. There is a good chance that the bindings on your old skis on not on the indemnified list because of their age. If they are not, no shop will adjust them for you.
Good point. I wasn't thinking about indemnification, and sure enough, the bindings aren't on the list. This isn't as easy as waking up and slipping into my old gear, I'm afraid.

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
Prioritize: boots from a bootfitter then helmet. Skis come last. You can always rent or demo to help decide.
And yaay for waking up wanting to ski again!!

Where are you located?
Thanks--you've confirmed my thoughts. I'm in western Massachusetts. Last place skied was Okemo, if I remember correctly. Cobwebs.....

mustski

Angel Diva
The cobwebs will go away quickly enough. You will be amazed how much easier the new skis are to turn and maneuver! Welcome to the forum by the way.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome Pamdl :smile:. Yep, getting a new pair of well-fitting boots from a good ski boot fitter would be the first thing I'd do too. Have fun!

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good boots that are properly fitted by a reputable bootfitter should be the first thing on the list (as everyone else has said). Don't skimp on this part, it will only cost you more $$$ in the future. Helmets are a good idea, poles you probably have already. As for the skis/bindings, either rent until you figure out what you like (do lots of demos!), or you could pick up some used skis & bindings on Craigslist while you work out what you like (this may actually work out cheaper than renting, depending on where you are).

Libby

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome back! I took a long break from skiing too, and was surprised at the change in equipment. One of my favorite changes was the clothing - In my earlier years, I was always freezing in cotton turtlenecks, cotton socks and flimsy hats. A helmet will keep you much warmer! I was out on Thursday in below zero F temperatures, and never felt cold due to all of my synthetic layers, hand warmers and toe warmers. I never would have come back to skiing if it meant being freezing all of the time again.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 on all that. If you're in Western MA, I heartily recommend Nick at Mount Snow Bootworks. He does an excellent job with bootfitting. Definitely get new boots first - just that will make a huge difference.

On the subject of the helmet...frankly, I don't wear a helmet because I'm afraid I'm going to wipe out and whack my bean.

I wear a helmet because during College Week several years ago, I was skiing a cruiser and found four (4) smartphones in the snow along the trail. BECAUSE SNOWBOARDERS WERE TEXTING WHILE THEY RIDE. This is not a smack down on snowboarders - it's that they are the ones who don't have a pole in each hand, and so have their hands free for things like texting on the slope. When I realized that people were texting on the hill, I skied right off that hill and into the shop to buy a helmet.

The helmet does have the advantage of being warm (most of them have a padded wool or wool-type lining). It also has the advantage of damping down the infernal racket that comes with skiing on New England ice. This item does not require an expert fit, but you should try them on because the different helmets fit different-sized and different-shaped heads. Get one that is comfy.

I would just go with rental skis until you get your feet back under you and recover from the boot purchase. I agree it probably won't take long. A GF of mine who grew up skiing Mammoth but hadn't skied on anything but straight skis came out last winter and skied with me a couple of days. I took her one run down the bunny slope to get used to them, and then told you don't pick your skis up off the snow to make turns anymore - just step on the outside ski to start the turn, pretty much - and it was one more trip on the bunny to check that out, and then we were off and flying. She could not believe how much easier it is to turn and ski now than it was on the old gear.

When you get ready to buy skis, check in with the Divas - we will help you spend your money, that's for sure!! :ski2:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! Yes, boots first and foremost, as others have said. Those 20 year old boots could actually shatter from the cold. The new ones are more comfortable, too, imo.

I stopped skiing for about 25 years, so 10-11 year old skis don't sound bad at all to me, lol. The new skis are so much easier to ski on. It may take some time to adjust your technique, but renting skis can help you decide what to look for in your next new skis. And it won't be long before this year's equipment will be on sale at drastiacally reduced prices.

Helmets are really nice, because - besides the obvious head protection- they keep your head sooo much warmer than a hat ever could. It took me a couple years back in the sport before I started wearing a helmet, and I absolutely love mine now.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a helmet holdout for years. I finally got one two seasons ago and I agree with everyone else: So much warmer than skiing in a hat. I love mine, except when it's too warm out, at which point I just open the vents. Also, my dad took a tumble last week and hit his head, so it's good he was wearing the helmet 'cause that can happen to anyone at any time.

ETA: It's also a great place for my Ski Diva sticker.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ETA: It's also a great place for my Ski Diva sticker.

Truth. When I get chatting with another woman on the lift, I can just point at the sticker on the back of my helmet to show her where to go for advice!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world! You're getting good advice here. Look into those boots!!

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
It's been 10 years (maybe even 11) since I last skied, and things have changed. What do I REALLY need now? My skis were used only a half season, and were a blast. I'd be willing to use them again, if the bindings are still ok. My boots, though.....they must now be 20 years old. And everyone wears helmets now! That used to be a rarity, unless you were racing. Where to begin, and how to prioritize?

Thanks for the welcome, and responses. Sounds like BOOTFITTING is at the top of my list. I am sad about my skis, though. They were Volkl V3 20-20s that I demo'd during a womens camp at Okemo and promptly bought. My first shaped skis, and they were so much fun. And barely used. On the other hand, it is fun to try out other skis, so I'll just have to use this as incentive to never stop skiing again!

abc

Banned
Good point. I wasn't thinking about indemnification, and sure enough, the bindings aren't on the list.
Your binding must be a lot more than 10 years old then.

When I was in your position, I got new boots and the shop that sold me the boot adjusted my binding for the new boot. They didn't say anything about whether the binding was in the list or not. It was probably more than 10 years old at that point.

(they also didn't charge me for the adjustment -- included as part of the boot purchase/fitting deal)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While we're talking about helmets - your old goggles may not fit with a helmet. Make sure you try them on together. My pre-helmet goggles kind of went pointy at the outsides and conflicted with the sides of the helmet. All modern goggles are more squared off at the sides, to accomodate helmets, but you may also find that there's a gap between the helmet and the top of the goggles (causing a wicked ice cream headache thing), or that the helmet pushes the goggles down onto your nose uncomfortably, etc, etc.

abc

Banned
I'm the minority here. I would go without helmet if just to substract one more thing that needs replacing!

I've never hit my head on falls before I got a helmet. (I fall plenty) I got knocked lightly on my helmet quite a few time since, which I think it's more because my "head" now are a lot bigger with the helmet.

That said, helmet is a whole lot warmer than hat (I struggle with staying wam in the past) And it stays on when I take a tumble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly