• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for intermediates over 40 planning to ski until 70+

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those 65 and over, worth checking whether or not a ski area has a senior discount on lift tickets and/or season passes. Smaller places seem to be more likely. For popular destinations, senior prices start at 70, or even 75, or 80.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Anyone read Lito Tejada-Flores' book that came out in 2009 called Soft Skiing: The Secrets of Effortless, Low Impact Skiing for Older Skiers? Sounds very intriguing.

https://www.amazon.com/Soft-Skiing-Secrets-Effortless-Low-Impact/dp/0941283224

Hi MarcNC! :smile:

Can't believe I missed this post . . . but yes. I've read this book. I loved it. But I'm a total Lito fan already, so I'm kinda biased. His tips are very very helpful for how to ski varied terrain using minimal effort. Not surprisingly, for those who have seen Lito's videos or read his books . . . alot of the techniques he demonstrates are older (but great for your "toolbox" as far as I'm concerned).

And I have to say ... . I emailed him at one point about conflicting advice I had received from other instructors, and he actually responded (!) with very warm and helpful advice. Most importantly, he did not say one way was right and another wrong, but continued to reinforce the concept that accumulating a wide array of skiing tools for various conditions (or even just varying moods :smile: ) is the way to go. And he emphasized that there is a "trusting yourself" aspect to skiing that many seem to ignore. The thing to avoid is "dogma" . . . . . in skiing, and in life - if I may be so bold. :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
...accumulating a wide array of skiing tools for various conditions (or even just varying moods :smile: ) is the way to go. And he emphasized that there is a "trusting yourself" aspect to skiing that many seem to ignore.
The all-important "bag of tricks."
Lito rocks.
I spent a lot of time with his "new skis" book and contents therein, when we were all adapting to the "new" technology.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi MarcNC! :smile:

Can't believe I missed this post . . . but yes. I've read this book. I loved it. But I'm a total Lito fan already, so I'm kinda biased. His tips are very very helpful for how to ski varied terrain using minimal effort. Not surprisingly, for those who have seen Lito's videos or read his books . . . alot of the techniques he demonstrates are older (but great for your "toolbox" as far as I'm concerned).

And I have to say ... . I emailed him at one point about conflicting advice I had received from other instructors, and he actually responded (!) with very warm and helpful advice. Most importantly, he did not say one way was right and another wrong, but continued to reinforce the concept that accumulating a wide array of skiing tools for various conditions (or even just varying moods :smile: ) is the way to go. And he emphasized that there is a "trusting yourself" aspect to skiing that many seem to ignore. The thing to avoid is "dogma" . . . . . in skiing, and in life - if I may be so bold. :smile:
An old book I have about western ski resorts is co-authored by Lito. There are a few tips by him scattered in between the different sections. Always made good sense to me.

When I was helping my friend get started on skis in early Jan, I started appreciating a few of the basic skills that I obviously learned in middle school. Side stepping or herringbone up side of the short main slope was required each time you went out to the ski hill before you could take the rope tow. Great warm up. Certainly meant you knew how to put your skis on edge. The more time I spend with more experienced instructors, the more I understand why some of what I do without thinking works. Also quite clear that I'm a visual learner.

Ski Junkie

Diva in Training
And don't forget the 100+ club! Here's a man still skiing at 100. There is no reason any us ladies can't still be going strong at his age. Heck, I'll get titanium knees to match my skis if I have to.

I had skied a few times in my teens and 20s and then didn't really have the opportunity to ski on a regular basis and develop skills until my late 30s. I see no reason (except financial) to not buy boots and skis from the get-go. If you know you love this and want to continue then get the gear. Upgrade when you feel you've outgrown a level. Or be a terminal intermediate if it makes you happy. I can ski a bit more advanced but enjoy just cruising around. I like challenges but don't want to break my neck. The great thing about being an over-40 woman is choice. We don't have that macho, teen-boy pressure to go hard and fast. To tear it up in the terrain park or go steep and deep in the back country. Unless we want to. :yahoo:

Beginners and intermediates will find plenty of pistes for their level at most ski vacation resorts. The reason to maybe hold off is if you are an absolute beginner. But only if you have a local hill to practice on first. I learned to snowboard on a local hill this winter and would have hated to pay for a vacation and then spent the whole time on the baby slope. My husband was skiing all over the hill while I was stuck at the base practicing my snowboard technique. Though, with a week-long vacation you could probably get good enough at skiing to explore a lot of the mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What's become more obvious to me is that a smaller ski area can be a very good place to learn for an older adult. There is less pressure to ski anything remotely extreme so it can be easier to concentrate on establishing good technique on the blue/black runs that are available. Plus ski lessons tend to be cheaper or have smaller groups. Then when a trip to a bigger mountain happens, can be that much more ready to have fun warming up on a few green runs, then exploring blues and perhaps moving onto blacks sooner rather than later.

marzNC

Angel Diva

marzNC

Angel Diva
A recent NY Times article called "How Exercise May Help Memory" is an interesting read. Talks about a study done in women ages 70-80 that was reported in The Journal of Aging Research.

"
What these findings suggest, the authors conclude, is that endurance training and weight training may have different physiological effects within the brain and cause improvements in different types of memory."

"What all of this new research suggests, says Teresa Liu-Ambrose, an associate professor in the Brain Research Center at the University of British Columbia who oversaw the experiments with older women, is that for the most robust brain health, it’s probably advisable to incorporate both aerobic and resistance training. It seems that each type of exercise “selectively targets different aspects of cognition,” she says, probably by sparking the release of different proteins in the body and brain.
But, she continues, no need to worry if you choose to concentrate solely on aerobic or resistance training, at least in terms of memory improvements. The differences in the effects of each type of exercise were subtle, she says, while the effects of exercise — any exercise — on overall cognitive function were profound.
“When we started these experiments,” she says, “most of us thought that, at best, we’d see less decline” in memory function among the volunteers who exercised, which still would have represented success. But beyond merely stemming people’s memory loss, she says, “we saw actual improvements,” an outcome that, if you’re waffling about exercising today, is worth remembering.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think skiing is changing me in ways for the good beyond having a fun winter. Last year I wanted to get off-season exercise only for the purpose of improving skiing. Wasn't able to because of husband's job change and us moving. This year I began to learn bumps and--boy!--do they work out the legs. I really need off-season exercise. So, now I'm finally getting some. I found a class at our local Y (and our local Y is fantastic) that meets 3x/week and does intense workouts, a combination of interval training and serious muscle work. We run sprints, do cycling sets, push-ups, planks, lunges, etc. None of the rain-dance-throw-your-arms-around dance type classes. I love this class, and I don't know if I'd be committed to it were it not for my desire to be a better, healthier, and less injury-prone skier.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I think skiing is changing me in ways for the good beyond having a fun winter. Last year I wanted to get off-season exercise only for the purpose of improving skiing. Wasn't able to because of husband's job change and us moving. This year I began to learn bumps and--boy!--do they work out the legs. I really need off-season exercise. So, now I'm finally getting some. I found a class at our local Y (and our local Y is fantastic) that meets 3x/week and does intense workouts, a combination of interval training and serious muscle work. We run sprints, do cycling sets, push-ups, planks, lunges, etc. None of the rain-dance-throw-your-arms-around dance type classes. I love this class, and I don't know if I'd be committed to it were it not for my desire to be a better, healthier, and less injury-prone skier.
This sounds fantastic! So happy for you!

Mama Sue

Certified Ski Diva
I'm well into my 40's, and have come back to skiing after a long hiatus. Now it's a family affair with my two little guys.
I don't know that I have anything new to add, but this is what works for me:
Get in as many days as you can.
Lessons with a great teacher. There's a few up here where I ski, but one of the best is a woman quite a bit older than me, who just may be the best skier I've ever seen, and understands how to teach (she's also the mom of an Olympic cyclist and both her sons are fantastic skiers as well)
Videos - ski technique and just fun skiing videos to keep those images of great skiing in my head
Good equipment - I learned on skis that were 175 cm long when I was just 11 or so, and by the time I hit high school was skiing 210's...that's what we did back in the day :smile: Now my skis are shorter, fatter, and much more fun. I absolutely love my all mountain ski, and really trust it at speed, through all conditions, and on just about any run (Stockli Stormriders), but this year I also invested in some really fat powder skis that I think I'm going to also love.
Staying fit and active all year - for me that's hitting the gym and doing lots of yoga, but more importantly, to make the time pass and keep it fun, getting active and competing in other sports, running, cycling, etc.
Keeping it a family affair - I enjoy skiing with my kids now, and watching them improve. I hope that someday they'll remember how I waited for them, let them ski in front so I could help pick them up as they fall, let them choose the runs, etc...and they'll let me tag along when they are teens and skiing the real extreme stuff :smile:

And a few new things, one being hanging out on this site to be inspired by all you great folks, and trying those Ski-A trainers, in fact I'm off to go do that a bit before bed.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
So Cal Divas, I reread this thread in the gym today.
It definitely contains some good advice.

We should plan on a Women's Clinic next season.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5. If you are an intermediate, don't be afraid to take group lessons, or even private lessons, because you're older. You'll often find others in our age bracket taking lessons. The better you can ski, the more likely you'll be to avoid getting injured. AND the more fun you'll have!

This one is so true! I took an adults intermediate lesson this season, there were several groups heading out on my afternoon but I could see that I was near enough the youngest person there - I am 30! I spent the afternoon with two other ladies and our instructor, we worked on real basics of technique but I got a huge amount out of it.

I started at 19 but always stick to the plan of ski until it hurts or I'm too tired then it's time to go inside and rest as going on past that is when injuries happen that are tougher to fix.

I definitely hope to still be skiing as long as I possibly can :snow:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those 50+, quite a few ski areas are setting up lessons especially for baby boomers. Some are a series of weekly lessons, some don't require a longer term commitment. Definitely worth consider when choosing between possible destinations for a ski week.

Huffington Post had an article last Dec titled "Best Ski Resorts for Seniors" that gives examples in the northeast and Colorado.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I chuckled at this article, which made it sound as though skiers over 50 are nervous, fragile and oh-so-cautious. This sure doesn't sound like the many over-50s (and many over-60s and a not insignificant number of over-70s) I know who ski regardless of the weather, still seek out bumps and powder, and totally rip the whole mountain. Gotta say that some of us leave some of the under-50s in our dust!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I chuckled at this article, which made it sound as though skiers over 50 are nervous, fragile and oh-so-cautious. This sure doesn't sound like the many over-50s (and many over-60s and a not insignificant number of over-70s) I know who ski regardless of the weather, still seek out bumps and powder, and totally rip the whole mountain. Gotta say that some of us leave some of the under-50s in our dust!
Yes, but you and your friends have been skiing for decades. Haven't been an intermediate for quite a while. :smile: A bit different for those who didn't really have a chance to get on the slopes until their 30's, 40's, or even older. I think some of them may be shy of taking group lessons because they don't want to be with young adults. But mid-week group lessons can be a real bargain compared to private lessons.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly