• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your hair

TracyMcP

Certified Ski Diva
Mine is very long and baby fine. My helmet really flattens it out and its not really flattering to my face shape. But I love to go straight to the bar for apres ski so I keep a tiny collapsable brush in my pocket (along with a lip gloss). While skiing I put it in a low pony tail and either let it stay out in the wind or if it's snowing, I tuck it into my jacket to stay dry.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to do the braids and sometimes put them up in my goggle strap. About 6 months ago I cut off my hair and it's current style is a short angled bob where it's longest is about chin length. With this I do nothing, just put my helmet on. If I'm wearing my buff I leave that sort up up over the back but that's it. I love this hairdo as I can just finger style it after skiing and if it gets at all wet I just throw my head upside down under the hand dryers and it dries and styles back up.

Jilly

Staff member
Short - no problems except flat at the end of the day. A little water and a hand dryer fluff and it looks better, but not great.

If you're looking for a new baseball cap there are some in the Ski Diva store!

TracyMcP

Certified Ski Diva
I used to do the braids and sometimes put them up in my goggle strap. About 6 months ago I cut off my hair and it's current style is a short angled bob where it's longest is about chin length. With this I do nothing, just put my helmet on. If I'm wearing my buff I leave that sort up up over the back but that's it. I love this hairdo as I can just finger style it after skiing and if it gets at all wet I just throw my head upside down under the hand dryers and it dries and styles back up.

Lucky. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member

I was thinking the same thing. The shorter I cut my hair, the more work it becomes - gets curly in spots, not in others, sticks out in random directions... if I can't put it up in a ponytail in a pinch, I'd be married to a flat iron and a blow dryer...

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have long hair, put in ponytail, below helmet, above gaitor and out of coat - hate the feeling of hair at my neck/face. Everytime I take my helmet off I redo elastic, put mess/loose hair back in. I only brush my hair in the shower anyway, so when it's gets snarly I may put it in a messy bun for apres, but it gets combed out with conditioner in the shower after skiing. I used to have bangs until a few years ago, and that always looked horrible after taking off helmet, so much better now.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've often wished for some curl or wave but this particular haircut I finally have great hair with very little work.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
.....About 6 months ago I cut off my hair and it's current style is a short angled bob where it's longest is about chin length. With this I do nothing, just put my helmet on. If I'm wearing my buff I leave that sort up up over the back but that's it. I love this hairdo as I can just finger style it after skiing and if it gets at all wet I just throw my head upside down under the hand dryers and it dries and styles back up.

I got a similar cut and love it because it truly is low-maintenance. However, helmets and hats give me this weird cowlick!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I pull mine into a low pony tail. If the weather's nice, I leave it out in the back, above my gaiter. If not, it's in my jacket. I hate coming into the lodge with wet hair!

Skiing is one of the reason's I leave my hair long. I've had short hair, and wearing anything on my head (read helmet) for any length of time results in a horror show, when I take it off. I could never just get it wet and fluff it under the dryer, like Robyn (I'm so jealous!). Not a pretty picture, believe me. A pony tail hides a multitude of sins. :becky:

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually curl the ends of my hair before skiing and leave my hair tucked in my neck warmer on the colder days. It is a mess at the end of the day, but I'm just heading home afterwards anyway. A comb does wonders if I remember to bring one to the mountain with me.

B

B.E.G.

I've discovered that my helmet is actually way better for preserving my bangs than my hat is! Score one for safety :p

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
every time I've put a ponytail holder on it to ski, the holder falls off eventually.
Try these guys:
2008-12-05_022.jpg

My hair is the same way, but these really, really work!

I go low pony while skiing and high pony or hat after.

abc

Banned
Mine is short and has a life on its own.
:ROTF: Mine too!

And instead of being flat after a day under the helmet, they all want to stand straight up! :rolleyes:

Fortunately (I'm one such fortunate ones), all I have to do is run my fingers through my hair a few times (admittedly, a real brush works better), they all calm down and look as though I just walk out of the hairdresser's!!! :wink:

So the "hair stand straight up" look is only if I didn't visit the lady's room and forgot to "brush" my hair with my "5 teeth comb"! :redface:

By and large, those of us who have thick straight hair haven't got too much choice on hair style but whatever the hairs want to be. There's a plus side though, I don't have a worry of helmeted (or hat) hair, either. This is a real benefit in the winter when I have to wear a hat on my way to work or party, my hair look the same as when I left home, despite the hat trap.:smile:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once in a while I pull mine into a low pony tail, but I find that braids, etc. just make it feel lumpy under the helmet...and it still looks totally disgusting and sweaty when I strip my gear off. So I leave it flying loose. It's shoulder-blade length, and I assume that I will ski, then shower and wash my hair. I don't usually like to wash it more than once every few days because it dries out, but skiing just makes it so grotty that washing is essential. I don't even try to look glam for the immediate apres-ski.

Or "didn't" even try...today was my last day for the season - all the skis have summer wax and are ready for storage, and I'm so totally depressed that it's going to either be 8 months, or FOREVER, and even if it's only 8 months, it will FEEL like FOREVER until I get to ski again. :Cry: (I think we need a special Sinking Into Depression Because The Season Is Over emoticon)

B

B.E.G.

All I have to say is - helmet head gets to be a real BIG problem when you still want to look cute for apres ski flirting... sigh.

Anna

Angel Diva
I have yet to ski with a helmet - that's this coming season's hair issue.

(Nadine_A has a cool head cover doover thing that keeps the hair neat as a pin under her helmet and when she lets it out at lunch she looks like a hair commercial - VERY impressive!)

Me: Not quite so, I have yet to learn the Master's Way:

While I didn't have a helmet:
One high tight pony tail - HAIRY SPRAYED to the MAX so it does NOT fuzz up... and then the "tail" part i BRAID until it DARES to escape!
It all looks pretty tortured and holds good until lunch whereby I have usually turned into a Ranga (ginger - red headed) Freak of Fuzz!
Oh well.....
After the skiing part of the day is done - I stick on my beanie and no one needs know the trouble lurking under there.

Anna

Angel Diva
A pony tail hides a multitude of sins. :becky:

I could not agree more!
And for everyday of the week too - not just ski-days! :smile::smile:
When getting a hair cut, I always insist that I must be able to have ALL my hair come into a high pony tail.

altagirl

Staff member
Once in a while I pull mine into a low pony tail, but I find that braids, etc. just make it feel lumpy under the helmet...

When I say braids, I generally mean side braids that start just behind the ear = no lumps under helmet like french braids cause.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once in a while I pull mine into a low pony tail, but I find that braids, etc. just make it feel lumpy under the helmet...and it still looks totally disgusting and sweaty when I strip my gear off. So I leave it flying loose. It's shoulder-blade length, and I assume that I will ski, then shower and wash my hair. I don't usually like to wash it more than once every few days because it dries out, but skiing just makes it so grotty that washing is essential. I don't even try to look glam for the immediate apres-ski.

Or "didn't" even try...today was my last day for the season - all the skis have summer wax and are ready for storage, and I'm so totally depressed that it's going to either be 8 months, or FOREVER, and even if it's only 8 months, it will FEEL like FOREVER until I get to ski again. :Cry: (I think we need a special Sinking Into Depression Because The Season Is Over emoticon)

You are not doing this right. You live close to VT (I assume). A two hour ride and I suspect you can ski somewhere there in May. Then a trip to ME in the fall, in October, and your off-season is four months. That's my plan (as long as there is truly skiing somewhere in May). I started in Oct. this year. I can manage that offseason!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly