• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

WSSF demo days 1/2

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I rolled up to Whistler for a regular ski day and then discovered it was WSSF Day 1 and basically every manufacturer was there with 2015 skis! So I spent the rest of the day bombing down the same run over and over. I'm not a ski tester or anything but thought I'd share my thoughts in case any Divas are interested!

Me: 125lbs, 5'4, fairly aggressive. The runs were basically steep non-moguly groomers, great for testing carving ability! But due to time constraints I basically only got one run in on each ski... but I did go full speed so it was a good test. Conditions were cold spring - corn-y, but hard and still requiring a lot of edge pressure, at least till it melted a bit later in the day. Skis in order of testing.

Kastle FX 84 (122-84-110, 160cm, 14m) (I think.) - meh. Felt a little unstable, decent edge grip, just didn't thrill me.
Elan Insomnia Fusion (125-74-104, 158cm, 12.7m, Amphibio) - WOW! Such a smooth turner, you can feel that rocker / camber edge combo and it's really really nice. Great edge grip, really held a turn nicely and rock solid at full speed.
Elan Speed Magic Fusion (119-69-102, 150cm, 11m, Amphibio) - teeeeeeheeeee. This is apparently a 'detuned race ski' and so much fun. It's a toothpick, obviously, so probably better suited for out east, but SO MUCH EDGE grip! It was the first time I've been able to go down this one run that always gets really hard (almost icy) at close to full speed.
Blizzard Sheeva (?-104-?, 165cm, ?) - also wow! Solid as anything, cuts through everything, really smooth ride. I don't need a powder ski, but I was curious how the camber would hold on hardpack. Turns out it held really well, even though it was pretty hard in some places (no ice though). I have no idea how it would handle in powder, but the ski shop tells me it would probably be similar to the Samba (a carving ski that floats really well) but with somewhat better float. I feel like it would rip down large lines - it is also a lot softer than the Dakota though, just fyi.
K2 Potion 74XTI (?-74-?, 160cm, ?) - noodle.
Fischer Progressor 74 (~~122-74-103?, 165cm, ~12m) - meh. Not bad, felt fairly stable, didn't edge as nicely as I'd have liked... also maybe not enough sidecut for my taste? Which is odd since there's lots of sidecut. The length was also a bit long for me.
Elan Ilumina Fusion (125-74-104, 152cm, 11.6m) - not quite as much edge as I'd have liked, but probably great for someone who doesn't want to get up to the insomnia or speed magic.

Sooooo then I got back on my own skis and realized I'd probably outgrown them because they didn't hold as much edge as I wanted and were kicking me out of turns when I tried to really push through / carve the turns. Chatting to the ski shop guys later confirmed my suspicions. My turning radius is 11.6!! (78 underfoot) This might be why. Thankfully they're still super stable at speed though.

Unfortunately I just bought powder skis so can't really replace my carving skis now! But I think I really want something that charges through everything like the Dakota, except not as wide, so I'm going to try and demo the following next week/year:

- Blizzard Cheyenne
- Blizzard Viva 810
- Head Super Joy (Total Joy, if they have it?)
- Kastle MX 83, if I can find it.
- Nordica, Atomic depending on what there is.

The 810 and Super Joy are on my list thanks to SnowHot's post, so yay!

That's it for me! Let me know if any of you have any thoughts / questions!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Thanks for the update! SO and I were talking today about the Elan Amphibio, wondering how the rocker/camber combo on inside/outside edges worked. It sounds intriguing, but we were trying to figure out if you could feel the difference. Glad to hear that you liked it!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fun!!!! Are the Dakotas what you bought for powder skis? The Sheevas sure have me intrigued, although I just bought Sambas which I LOVE and they are probably too similar.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been getting daily updates on the WSSF! Some year.....I'll get there for it.

Demo'ing is so much fun.....And the Speed Magic....yah, east coast!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Albertan ski girl: You can definitely feel the difference! I can't really explain it. One ski bites, the other slides, but at the same time it feels like the biting ski is sliding into the bite. Try them if you get a chance!

@contesstant: No, I went with the Volkl Kikus - from what I heard the Dakotas were a LOT of ski, and even though I ski fairly hard, I think they would have been too much for me (I don't weigh that much, haha). It was Kiku vs. Samba - I don't think my store even carried the Dakotas lol. I think the Sheevas will indeed be a wider, floatier Samba (that 'carving ski that floats really well' feeling I mentioned)- but I think the Sambas would be better for all mountain, since the Sheevas do feel realllllly wide.

@Jilly: hopefully soon! :smile: I'm hoping to hit it up next week to go through a few more skis haha.

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes! Though now I'm second guessing because the Sheevas were so smooth and I got thrown around a bit on the Kikus? But then the Sheevas have camber underfoot so they won't be as nice in pow as the Kikus were... so maybe I should have considered the Dakotas? But then those were stiffer so wouldn't be as smooth as the Sheevas. :doh: So in conclusion I think I made the right decision. Lol.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:rotf: Ahhh yes the "what if" about a ski choice! I might agonize over whether I'd rather have the Sheeva than the Samba next season!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is the Samba your daily driver? If so, I think you are probably better off with that than the Sheeva - it's a bit big to really have fun all over the mountain.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I haven't dubbed it that yet, but considering we are moving to Utah this summer, yes, I'm pretty sure it will be! :banana: I skied it in a myriad of conditions in March in Utah and LOVED it!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! Yeah, it's a pretty amazing ski. I think you would be better off with that than the Sheeva... it's only got 6cm more underfoot after all :smile: And Utah - lucky you!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So for carvers on the east coast sounds like the Speed Magic and the Fusion get high votes for you. What was the difference between the two? My next ski will be more of a carver.

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Speed Magic is I think 69 underfoot and a detuned racing ski (? not sure if this is just marketing gimmick, but just passing it along), so meant to be skied at -10-15 from normal according to the rep - he put me in a 150 and in a 158 in the Fusion. The Fusion is 78 underfoot so is slightly more work to initiate a turn, and is almost as strong a ski, but since it's wider it can handle more all mountain stuff like soft, off piste, etc.

I take my current Pure Magics (the Fusion was the replacement for these but it's an upgrade) into powder all the time and they're decent not wonderful, but I wouldn't do that with the Speed Magic. In fact I wouldn't want to ski it in any less than ideal conditions! It's probably a lot more unforgiving than the Fusion especially if you get back in the seat at all, etc.

Does that help at all? Let me know if you have any other questions. Also keep in mind that I may not have been skiing these properly... and that on the Fusion, the rep had spent 3 hours tuning the same ski for the Ski Canada test, so it might be comparatively de-tuned out of a factory :P

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
The Speed Magic is similar to my Attraxion 12s. The stats look the same. The Fusion looks like my Attraxion 8's. I find the same thing. The 12's are stiffer, quicker and hold an edge better. The 8's are softer, but the wider tip makes them better for all around skiing.

I just brought the "tuned down" race skis home. Not a good choice in slush. If you're skiing WB most of the time, I'd be looking at a wider waisted ski than either of those two.

Demo some more. It's fun to find the differences in skis!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to know I'm not totally off base :smile:

Yeah, I def wouldn't go for the Speed Magic on WB, but @deannatoby was looking for an east coast ski so hence. :smile: I do have a powder ski so don't mind using a 78-84 underfoot as my frontside / icy bumps / etc ski (as I do now - it actually works quite well!)

I'm thinking Blizzard Cheyenne, or maybe the Black Pearl though I've heard they're soft - sadly they didn't make it out with the demo crew.

Hjf6

Certified Ski Diva
So for carvers on the east coast sounds like the Speed Magic and the Fusion get high votes for you. What was the difference between the two? My next ski will be more of a carver.

I have '14 158 Insomnia Fusions, ski East Coast, and use as my daily carver (use my Tierras in early season, icy conditions). I LOVE them. Easy enough for me to flex (I'm petite), but very stable at speed. Just the right amount of pop out of the turn. I progressed significantly with this ski -- proper C turns. Wahoo! Plus, great graphics - love the teal and white. I can't wait to take the Insomnias to Europe next year.

@kabutar -- am also looking forward to the Head Joys next season!!!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have '14 158 Insomnia Fusions, ski East Coast, and use as my daily carver (use my Tierras in early season, icy conditions). I LOVE them. Easy enough for me to flex (I'm petite), but very stable at speed. Just the right amount of pop out of the turn. I progressed significantly with this ski -- proper C turns. Wahoo! Plus, great graphics - love the teal and white. I can't wait to take the Insomnias to Europe next year.

@kabutar -- am also looking forward to the Head Joys next season!!!

Actually this gives me an excuse to update this post :smile:

Most important things first - oh man, I hate the Insomnia graphics!! Lol. But agreed on everything else, and I'm glad I wasn't too far off. They are definitely very peppy, and I ski a 152 in their predecessor right now so it looks like I need to go up a size!

As for the Heads... I demoed a Total Joy (84 underfoot?) at WSSF again yesterday, and meh. I guess I now know what 'too soft' feels like (as per my other thread lol)... it felt like it was squirrelly and bottoming out on me. I don't know what the Super Joy is like though, which is the one I really wanted to try.

Also tried a Kastle MX 83 in a 167 and I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Kastle skis :confused: Granted it was too long and a LOT of ski, so I didn't feel comfortable carving it because it would pick up too much speed, so that may be partly the problem but it really just didn't feel particularly amazing.

I got sick of demoing eventually and got back on my Pure Magics (which despite my comments on lack of edge in other thread were still more solid than anything except the other Elans and Blizzard :confused:) and was like, I'M BACK!

Now I just have to sort out my boot problem lol. Curse narrow feet, apparently nothing will fit me except a race boot. I took my 3-ski-day-old boots back to the store because they had packed out already and I was flopping around in them... the bootfitter was about to do a shell fit, then measured my foot, went NEVER MIND, and gave me a straight refund. :doh:

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have '14 158 Insomnia Fusions, ski East Coast, and use as my daily carver (use my Tierras in early season, icy conditions).

I want a carver stiff enough to keep its edge well in ice. Maybe they are just a little on the softer side than what I'm looking for. I spent too much time on a soft ski i outgrew, so I'm gun-shy about softies. I need edge grip on ice!!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want a carver stiff enough to keep its edge well in ice. Maybe they are just a little on the softer side than what I'm looking for. I spent too much time on a soft ski i outgrew, so I'm gun-shy about softies. I need edge grip on ice!!

If I'm not mistaken edge grip on ice is provided by torsional stability... which Elan has in spades. I'd demo if you get a chance... when I was about to take them out the rep warned me it would be a lot of ski, so it sounds like they might be exactly what you want. (I also prefer a ski that holds on ice)

Also as per my above posts my Pure Magics were more solid on hardpack than anything else I tried at demos except for the two Elans and the Blizzard Sheeva, and the Insomnias are an upgrade on the Pure Magics, so I lean towards they'd likely work for you. (I didn't get a chance to try Volkl, Nordica or Atomic though) But I'd rec demoing. What are you on now? :smile:

Also I think in one of the other threads a Diva mentioned the Blizzard Viva 810 which looks like it's really stiff. https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/quick-thumbnails-from-sia-2014.17592/ that might help. I'm considering that and the Cheyenne myself. I LOVE Elan, but I also love Blizzard's crud-busting ability.

Hjf6

Certified Ski Diva

The Insomnias aren't bad on ice and are by no means a soft ski; but since I also travel with the Volkl Tierras, I prefer them on icey days.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna