• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's World Cup - soccer/football

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone else watching? DH and I are just now watching the China/Canada game, which we recorded. Germany plays tomorrow - I usually root for them in soccer.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I watched the first half of Canada-China. Yes, I expect to watch quite a few games, but not if hockey is on, too. :-)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to admit, I got really cranky at the Canada/China game. It just felt like Canada was letting itself get herded. They are SO lucky that that Chinese woman got handsy.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't watched any yet, but I was following the updates during the Canada-China game. I'm in Edmonton next week and would love to go but the only thing when I'm there is a double header on a weekday, which means I'd be going alone. I may do that yet.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't watched any yet, but I was following the updates during the Canada-China game. I'm in Edmonton next week and would love to go but the only thing when I'm there is a double header on a weekday, which means I'd be going alone. I may do that yet.

I went to the women's world cup when it was held in DC, and I lived nearby. Definitely worth it.

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a huge football/soccer fan and have been following this closely...
The USA has a very hard match tomorrow against Germany. I'm not sure if they can get back to their "typical" form in such a hurry. If they beat Germany tomorrow, I will attribute it to that "never die American mentality" people keep going on about. I hope Germany are tired and worn down from the epic match against France. I really feel sorry for France, bc they played well.

The US have been difficult to watch this tournament. Most of the teams are looking technically better on/off the ball than the US. When China had possession, they're ball skills/footwork was much prettier and nicer to watch than the American's long balls and more hard charging style. I love Japan's style and ease with the ball. Make me think of a female Barca.

Well, not sure what my point is here...but yes, I have been following and I hope to god the US can bring about a miracle tomorrow. England v. Japan should also be interesting with such different styles going head to head. I do have a soft spot for Japan.....Realistically, I think it will be Germany v Japan in the final...I think a random USA v England would also be very fun!

What are your predictions?

I have avoided getting into Soccer so far. I am heavily into football which occupies my time from September until the super bowl. I won my office football pool last year which further fueled my addiction. I was the last one standing before thanksgiving even hit. I have been told the guy I beat is still reeling from the loss. It was down to us 2 and in the last 30 seconds of the game his team fumbled and my team won the game and I won the $700 pool. I realize its luck of the draw and every team can have a bad week but its still my proud moment :smile:.

I know quite a few people who are very into soccer. I am not against it, just haven't been bitten by the bug yet.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm excited for the Germany/US game Tuesday. DH and I are rooting for different teams - should be interesting!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think it will be a miracle if the US wins. Germany is the favorite, but as you noted, they just had a very difficult game against France, not only physically but mentally. They cannot be feeling very confident as they were exposed by France's speed and ball movement. A lot depends on what Ellis does with the lineup, imo. (Pleeeeeeassssse keep Holiday on the bench....)

The first US games were indeed not pretty. But it's soccer. Sometimes winning isn't pretty. France was pretty. Now they are back in France. I am not sure we realized how good the US defense was going to be. Solo, sure, but Johnston and Sauerbrun have been so solid as well; JJ is a fairly new player there, and she has been a total stud. Many championships are won with a great defense and a few big-game players who can score a timely goal or two. And that's what the US does have. So ... it will definitely be interesting.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely interesting. I was surprised at how ineffective Germany looked against France. Honestly, it seemed like France should have won, and that's not something I say easily. They made so many opportunities for themselves, and Germany just didn't. But I guess you have to be able to score, not just take a shot.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely interesting. I was surprised at how ineffective Germany looked against France. Honestly, it seemed like France should have won, and that's not something I say easily. They made so many opportunities for themselves, and Germany just didn't. But I guess you have to be able to score, not just take a shot.

Exactly. It's all about finishing your chances. And not getting into spot kicks against Germany (I don't think they've ever lost at the WC level, men or women.)

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I have avoided getting into Soccer so far. I am heavily into football which occupies my time from September until the super bowl. I won my office football pool last year which further fueled my addiction. I was the last one standing before thanksgiving even hit. I have been told the guy I beat is still reeling from the loss. It was down to us 2 and in the last 30 seconds of the game his team fumbled and my team won the game and I won the $700 pool. I realize its luck of the draw and every team can have a bad week but its still my proud moment :smile:.

I know quite a few people who are very into soccer. I am not against it, just haven't been bitten by the bug yet.

Have you ever gotten into a Fantasy League? If you're into the NFL, try to join a Fantasy league next season. I assure you, it will become an addiction and you'll start knowing everything about the league players, prospects etc...It's very time consuming if you want to do well. It gives you an incentive to watch games you otherwise wouldn't, for "scouting" reasons.

I stopped watching the NFL after I left home for college. Was a 49ers fan and even saw them in a play-off game back in the Steve Young days.. But I still tune-in to the Super Bowl. I feel that it is my duty as an American.

Anyway, I've always loved soccer. Played a little when I was in grammar school and was always into the World Cups growing up. However, I didn't get SERIOUSLY into following the sport until a few years ago when I joined my office's Fantasy League for the the English Premier League. I work for a British company, so most guys are into football/soccer. My first year, I did pretty terribly, but this year, I am proud to say I finished 2nd place in a group of 13 British men!...So I can totally relate to your pride in winning your office pool.

Soccer is a little hard to get into watching, especially when compared to some of the faster, and higher scoring American games. I think it really helps if you have tried playing the game in real life...You then develop a much better appreciation for what the professionals are doing...as with any game...

K

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I don't think it will be a miracle if the US wins. Germany is the favorite, but as you noted, they just had a very difficult game against France, not only physically but mentally. They cannot be feeling very confident as they were exposed by France's speed and ball movement. A lot depends on what Ellis does with the lineup, imo. (Pleeeeeeassssse keep Holiday on the bench....)

The first US games were indeed not pretty. But it's soccer. Sometimes winning isn't pretty. France was pretty. Now they are back in France. I am not sure we realized how good the US defense was going to be. Solo, sure, but Johnston and Sauerbrun have been so solid as well; JJ is a fairly new player there, and she has been a total stud. Many championships are won with a great defense and a few big-game players who can score a timely goal or two. And that's what the US does have. So ... it will definitely be interesting.

Cool, another Uswnt follower here!
I agree, it wouldn't be a total miracle if the US wins. I guess my tone about them has been a bit harsh lately. I am just baffled by how their form has dipped so dramatically recently... I love Holiday and normally she is one of the clutch players on the team, but she has not done well as a holding/defending mid-fielder. I really do not know why the coaching staff would think they could convert her so easily. She started out as a forward, was converted to a winger last world cup, and is just going back in the lines....Like Lloyd, she is better on the attack. Morgan Brian did a much better job in the holding mid role than Holiday has so far....In general, the US does not seem comfortable holding the ball and being patient on the ball. This has always been the case. We are more go forward, go forward all the time! But as you can see from the other teams games, the women's game is evolving to be more on par with European football. The best example of this is watching Japan play. I love their comfort with the ball and patience. If you could mix that with the American gung-ho attack for goal, they would be the best team.

And YES, our defense has been AMAZING - in particular the two center mids - Johnston and Sauerbrunn. I love how Johnston was playing like a monster last game. She had the LOOK, the hunger for 100% of the game. This type of hunger is something I'm used to seeing in all of the players but haven't yet. I hope it is all unleashed tomorrow night.

Other players I'd like to see: Press...She hasn't found her rhythm yet in this tournament and I think it's largely because her style of play is so different than the traditional American way. She really flourished when playing in Europe. In the China game, she looked way more patient on the ball than any of the American players...I hope she gets another chance.

Another one I'd like to see up top is Leroux. I think she could do as well as Arod did in being the fast high pressure player on the German defense. Plus, hopefully she has better finishing than Arod does. Arod's missed chance was just sooooo bad. Other hopes - Morgan scores and gains her confidence back. Abby sits...

I'm just rambling now....But, yes. I am into this.
The ironic thing is that I'm going to miss the Germany v USA game tomorrow night! Stupidly scheduled a dinner with clients for the exact time! I just hope they are into it as well and we all decide to eat our dinners fast and go to a sports bar to catch the tail end!!!

Go USA!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna