• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Olympics 2018

Christy

Angel Diva
Is anyone else excited? I love the Olympics in general--I'm just a sucker for all of it--but since the Winter Olympics have the alpine skiing events, I'm hugely excited for this. We have so much talent on the women's side! Will Lindsey win? Will Mikaela beat her nerves?

I was very sorry to see the 3 (!!) crashes last weekend for what had been our very deep women's speed team, and it's heartbreaking for poor Jackie Wiles to sustain such a bad injury right before the Olympics (she's had some very good results and even a podium this year).

Our men's team on the other hand...:( Ted did finally get his first podium in 3 years at the last GS so maybe he'll be a good comeback story?

Jilly

Staff member
Can't wait. I even ordered cable at the condo this year because of the Olympics. Also I've heard that because of the time difference lots of things will be "prime time viewing" and not at 5am!! Well at least for those of us in the east!!

Jilly

Staff member
Well that was the hockey I found out. Opening ceremonies live start at 5:30am!!

Christy

Angel Diva
I bet the primetime coverage of the Opening Ceremony is good enough. That might be the one thing I don't need to see every second of.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am stoked! I loved having Olympics ads during the Super Bowl, although in one of them, it said something like "Friday 5 pm, Opening Ceremonies, Saturday 2 pm, Men's Downhill, Thursday 6 pm, Mikaela!"

I mean, we are all excited about Mikaela, but . . . really? Is she her own event?
(days/times were invented for this post)

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do wish Team GB could be a bit better.

newboots

Angel Diva
Aak. I "liked" it but don't like it. Here's another quote from that article:

"As recently as 2014, a Russian ski jumping coach said that ski jumping wasn’t appropriate for women because 'women have another purpose—to have children, to do housework, to create hearth and home.'"

Later, the author theorizes that there might be many fewer ski jumping events for women because elite female ski jumpers often jump farther than elite men! I suggest clicking on @Randi M. 's link. A worthwhile read.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for posting @Randi M. That article is well worth reading. I hadn’t even realized there was no Nordic Combined event for women. I live in Germany and that event is huge. Basically they love cross-country skiing and they love ski jumping so the combination gets a ton of coverage. I’d say the only event that gets more coverage is Biathlon. I’m sure that not having a women’s Nordic Combined event and fewer women’s events across the board also has a negative effect on women athlete’s ability to obtain funding and sponsorship, leading to that whole negative spiral of claims that people aren’t interested in watching women’s sports therefore more valuable prizes/sponsorship aren’t justifiable when in fact nobody knows what people want to watch because they don’t get the chance to see women’s events. Then you get all the hand-wringing about teenage girls dropping out of sports .....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna