• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why is your home resort your home resort?

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hunter Mtn is ours b/c we're based out of NYC and we looked at the children's programs for all of them in the surrounding area. we wrote off Vermont and NH and Adirondacks b/c of the distance/time on the road each weekend. out of a collection of them, we felt that Hunter had the strongest children's season program. it's not too bad a drive - 2.5 hour drive one way each weekend, but with NYC traffic or car crashes/construction on the interstate, that can easily get up to 3.5 or 4 hours of a drive. they also do their best to extend the season by blowing snow in the early season and keeping the mountain open as long as possible.

previously to our daughter skiing, we didn't have a home mountain but we would frequently take trips in NH/VT and out west.

Do you rent a house for the season? Do you go every weekend? We live in NYC in and I’m searching for a home mountain, and trying to figure out the logistics, too.

ShawnaH

Diva in Training
Monarch is my home mountain just due to price. I cannot beat a season pass for $199 (military rate), it gives me days at Copper, Cooper, and Crested Butte, plus others. Oh and the fact that all the trails lead to the lodge is a huge benefit.
My wife and I are heading to Monarch in a few weeks.. I'm a newbie. What's your favorite beginner run for me and your favorite challenge for my wife. We've never been to Monarch!

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like taking the Pioneer lift to Sleepy Hollow to Tenderfoot or Glade. If you want to hit the top of the mountain, you can take Tumbelina to Panorama- then Skywalker to what I mentioned before. My daughter likes taking Garfield lift to roundabout to one of the three greens down (liberty, sidewinder, drifter).

For the tougher ones? Turbo- blue. She did Curecanti for the first time this past weekend and enjoyed it.

Enjoy it! We always have a great time there.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Do you rent a house for the season? Do you go every weekend? We live in NYC in and I’m searching for a home mountain, and trying to figure out the logistics, too.

@Randi M. we didn't for the first 2 years b/c we weren't sure that we wanted to commit. we commuted from my parents home in Middletown which is about 1.5 hour drive. it was brutal, not going to lie. but this is our 3rd season and we decided to rent a house for the season, yes. and it has made our lives a lot easier and less hectic for sure. and we do go every weekend except for a few. we didn't go first weekend of Dec and Jan but we've gone every weekend otherwise.

i would recommend Hunter. There are some i know that go to others such as Plattekill, Mountain Creek and Windham. There are some Connecticut mountains as well. I wouldn't suggest a PA one b/c the hills are much smaller and the lift lines can get really long. Massachussetts might work, but again hills are smaller and lift lines are long, lots from Boston as well getting out. Find a mountain that prioritizes ski school for the kids, that have an established race and freestyle team. you know the ski instruction will be good when they have good teams as it's all in the coaching.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My wife and I are heading to Monarch in a few weeks.. I'm a newbie. What's your favorite beginner run for me and your favorite challenge for my wife. We've never been to Monarch!
We’re in Jersey City and for the most part have settled at Camelback while the kids are still learning. Distance from home a huge factor. Also they have a very good progression of green to blue trails for kids (and grownups!) starting out. I felt others in the area did not have this(mountain creek, Shawnee, jfbb) They have very reasonably priced childcare (10/hr) which allows me to have my own ski time too. Yes the hills are smaller but it also works better for when the kids are just starting out. My 7 year old visited mount Snow with me yesterday and halfway down Long John she was like “when is his going to be OVER?!?” ;) the crowds milling all over the base were a little intimidating too. Eventually I do see us venturing much further out as they get older and can handle longer days.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Randi M. we didn't for the first 2 years b/c we weren't sure that we wanted to commit. we commuted from my parents home in Middletown which is about 1.5 hour drive. it was brutal, not going to lie. but this is our 3rd season and we decided to rent a house for the season, yes. and it has made our lives a lot easier and less hectic for sure. and we do go every weekend except for a few. we didn't go first weekend of Dec and Jan but we've gone every weekend otherwise.

i would recommend Hunter. There are some i know that go to others such as Plattekill, Mountain Creek and Windham. There are some Connecticut mountains as well. I wouldn't suggest a PA one b/c the hills are much smaller and the lift lines can get really long. Massachussetts might work, but again hills are smaller and lift lines are long, lots from Boston as well getting out. Find a mountain that prioritizes ski school for the kids, that have an established race and freestyle team. you know the ski instruction will be good when they have good teams as it's all in the coaching.

You commuted 1.5 hours each morning????

Tvan

Angel Diva
<thread hijack>

That’s my normal commute...4 days a week! Ask me how many audio courses from The Teaching Company I’ve completed since I started this job on 2016!

</thread hijack>

echo_VT

Angel Diva

yes it was awful, i do not recommend it! we had to be there by 8 am (b/c husband's an instructor), which meant we had to leave at 6:30 am, which meant we had to wake up at 5:30 am. it was brutal, not going to lie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna