• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why is your home resort your home resort?

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not quite sure I understand the question @ling.
Skibam also mentioned in her post she doesn't stay in Tremblant village. So I took that to mean she stays somewhere with easy access to the other base. Hence my question about any other village worth looking into.

Jilly

Staff member
OK, there is parking on the north side, but no village/accommodation. There is a cafeteria, rental shop and ticket booth there. And the Expo and Duncan chairs. This is where the buses park too.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
There is some north side accommodation, but not ski in, ski out. Nearby town of lac Supérieur has rentals, at least one (or so I'm told) decent restaurant, a nice convenience store with wine. I'm a day skier - we drive up and home again so I can't speak very knowledgeably about what's available re beds on the north side. Nothing like the south side at all.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info, skibam. I'll poke around a bit and see what I could find.

We had left it too late to start planning for next weekend (US holiday, President's Day). The rain down here is driving us further and further north to find mountains not affected by the rain-freeze cycle. But lodging around Tremblant had largely been booked up already. So I was intrigued by bed base out of the obvious locations.

(I also just realized it's Ontario school holiday too. So it's likely to be super busy on the mountain as well)

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a condo in Silverthorne and have fast access to many fine resorts...Loveland, ABasin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek...but out our home mountain is Copper.

I love the ease ..the free parking and speedy shuttle...the base is very walkable, with a front row view of the half pipe.

The snow is always good, and most times its GREAT...I love the runs, my favorite being Andy's Encore and Oh No off of the Super Bee lift that takes you from the very top to the base, 1.5 miles long with 1890 ft vertical drop...the views at the top will take your breath away...some very nice glades on the lower section.

And virtually no lift lines. Most everyone observes the code and is considerate of others on the hill, too. The Copper personnel are very nice and helpful.

We also ski Steamboat and Winter Park, but call Copper home...

Debbi Fuller

Diva in Training
Is it location? Great lift pass deals? Terrain? What is it that made you select the resort you call "home?"

For me, it's primarily geography. I live pretty much between Okemo and Killington, though a bit closer to Okemo. So Okemo is easier to get to. Plus I have a lot of friends who ski there. I can pretty much guarantee that any time I go over to ski, I'll find someone to ski with. So it makes it pretty social for me, too.

What about you?
Same reasons - I live 40 minutes from Okemo - same for Sunapee, but I like Okemo better - more terrain, better lifts and yes, there's always someone I know skiing if I come by myself. Classic senior pass is also a good reason! Last week I skied with 2 of the 80+ guys from Keene - they will still challenge you and are now something I aspire to (in several more years!!).

Debbi Fuller

Diva in Training
I didn't realize Tremblant has another base that's accessible from the north side. Doh!:doh:

What are the good bed base to access the north side, if you don't mind me asking?

We skied there in 2015 and it was easy enough to access the north side from anywhere - it was nice over there too! That was the year it was SO cold everywhere. We had a top temperature of 7 above! Still a great place though and the raclette restaurant rocked!

Debbi Fuller

Diva in Training
Mohawk is our "local" home resort. It's a small, family-run mountain and the largest in Connecticut. It also has the benefit of proximity. In 40 minutes, I can be booted up and waiting for first chair. There are just enough runs for a solid 2 hours of weekend morning "eat-your-broccoli" skiing before the ski school hits the hill and we head home, stopping at Kent Coffee & Chocolate for chai on the way.

Stratton is our "away" home resort. We were introduced to Stratton by friends who had a condo there and made us feel welcome. As we were learning, we appreciated the Tamarack area which is all greens and away from any advanced runs, making it a good place for beginners. For many years, our Christmas vacation was spent with our godkids at Stratton - 6 of us in a condo for a week of skiing, snowshoeing, doing puzzles, having nachos at Mulligans, and building gingerbread house villages on the dining room table. Stratton also happens to be 30 minutes away from the mothership of all independent bookstores. After 11 years, Stratton feels like home, and someday we hope to be there, or nearby, permanently.

I skied at Stratton for many years -up until 2015 - it was incredible when they had the 3 mountain pass - Sunapee, Stratton and Okemo. After that stopped we stayed at Stratton for a few years because they had "snow bucks" which meant that you got your pass plus $500 to spend at any sister resort. We pooled our snow bucks and all went to Tremblant! I do miss the terrain at Stratton but we love the bubble chairs at Okemo and it is a bit shorter ride from home - 40 minutes vs. an hour+ to Stratton.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I skied at Stratton for many years -up until 2015 - it was incredible when they had the 3 mountain pass - Sunapee, Stratton and Okemo. After that stopped we stayed at Stratton for a few years because they had "snow bucks" which meant that you got your pass plus $500 to spend at any sister resort. We pooled our snow bucks and all went to Tremblant! I do miss the terrain at Stratton but we love the bubble chairs at Okemo and it is a bit shorter ride from home - 40 minutes vs. an hour+ to Stratton.

I know you! Bling jacket! We went up on the lift together, right?

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monarch is my home mountain just due to price. I cannot beat a season pass for $199 (military rate), it gives me days at Copper, Cooper, and Crested Butte, plus others. Oh and the fact that all the trails lead to the lodge is a huge benefit.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Wachusett is my "home" mountain as I can make the drive out and back by myself. Blue Hills is closer by a long shot and so is Nashoba Valley but Wachusett has more trails.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a condo in Silverthorne and have fast access to many fine resorts...Loveland, ABasin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek...but out our home mountain is Copper.

I love the ease ..the free parking and speedy shuttle...the base is very walkable, with a front row view of the half pipe.

The snow is always good, and most times its GREAT...I love the runs, my favorite being Andy's Encore and Oh No off of the Super Bee lift that takes you from the very top to the base, 1.5 miles long with 1890 ft vertical drop...the views at the top will take your breath away...some very nice glades on the lower section.

And virtually no lift lines. Most everyone observes the code and is considerate of others on the hill, too. The Copper personnel are very nice and helpful.

We also ski Steamboat and Winter Park, but call Copper home...

Have you ever met @Little Lightning ? She's a regular on those mountains, and also lives in Silverthorne.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf on weekdays (when I can), local ski area Black Mountain on weekends (ditto)(latter also has night skiing).
Why? Proximity - Sugarloaf=45 mi, Black Mountain=22.
Sugarloaf for the sheer size of the resort and variety of terrain, also ambience. Lots of locals, "staties" ski there - some have for generations! It's neat. Kind of like Cheers bar, "where everybody knows your name." Nice vibe.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
+1 for Wachusset. It's just an hour from home and is the perfect option when we can't get away for a few days. If I plan it right, I can leave my office in Boston at noon, ski for 3 hours and still be home in time to make dinner!! @newboots, I've skied Suicide Six a number of times and it is a great vibe. Lots of friendly people and no lines!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mammoth - learned to ski there, skied most there, love the area.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Mt. Spokane is my home mountain. DH gets family passes for us since he is on the volunteer ski patrol. That and being 33 miles from the house make it very convenient. It's a blast to go up on a powder morning, ski the place out, eat my lunch in the car on the way home and still have half the day left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna