• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who's Bought Their Season Passes for '17/'18?

kiki

Angel Diva
I ski alone most of the time & like it; lots of freedom and flexibility. Plenty of people to chat with on the lifts, and if not, I listen to music or podcasts. I have a pretty high tolerance for solitude, though.
I like solitude too, play golf on my own often, just a bit scary as I'm not a good skiier and there is comfort in a companion if you wipeout bad and your skis fly off and are all over the place etc or you get lost.
I find the hill very hard to navigate and signage can be confusing and sometimes you think you are going down a green line and then, oops! its a blue and you just have to find a way to get down in one piece despite terror. I worry what if i accidentally take a wrong turn and wind up in a black. Its a bit scary.

kiki

Angel Diva
I finished paying off my pass last month. It is rather expensive for the local "hill" (12,000 feet, only 40 trails, plus nice backcountry terrain ) but as a PowerPass will offer me some free days at Snowbasin this year, which I will be skiing in early February on my return trip from Big Sky. I did it as a payment plan offered by the resort so as not to fork out almost $800.00 at once.

Then I bought some Renoun Z-77 skis to try this season.:becky:
Good to balance it out ;-)

kiki

Angel Diva
I feel kind of similar. I actually bought two passes: Squalpine (where I really like to ski) and Epic Tahoe pass (to use mostly at Northstar, where my boyfriend likes to ski). Last season I skied at Northstar enough that it would have been better if I'd had a pass. I hope this season is the same. My sister and I have a ski lease, so I don't have to drive back and forth so much, but I also end up skiing alone often. I found that during the week there were lots of friendly souls (also skiing alone) to at least chat with on the lifts. How long will your drive be?
Wow, two passes!
Now you have additional incentive to get out there! Good luck!
Your ski lease soumds like a good plan, i just can't afford that here. It is a 2-3 hr each way, i shudder to think of my gas bill! I expect I'll get through a lot of audio books.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find the hill very hard to navigate and signage can be confusing and sometimes you think you are going down a green line and then, oops! its a blue and you just have to find a way to get down in one piece despite terror.

Yikes! Ok, that would make me nervous, too!

We...um...don't have to worry about getting lost at Poconos resorts. And if I fall, there will be approximately eleventy-thousand people passing by in the next ten minutes, so no worries about languishing on the mountain. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll find some great ski buddies! Best wishes for an awesome season!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And if I fall, there will be approximately eleventy-thousand people passing by in the next ten minutes, so no worries about languishing on the mountain. :rolleyes:

This is so sad but true. We were actually at Jack Frost last year and some kid fell in the bumps on Exhibition. She looked moderately OK for a gumby child, but she was sitting oddly with her leg and screaming her head off and I asked her if she needed ski patrol (b/c there was no adult with her) and she said yes between sobs. So I told her I'd go get them and skied down and notified ski patrol that there was an injured kid about midway down in the moguls. Don't you know she collected herself and got up and skied off before ski patrol even got there (the lift passes over the run hence... Exhibition). lol

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the MAX pass, but I don't want to use up the Killington/Okemo/Stratton days on early-season conditions, so I grabbed a few cheap tickets off Liftopia for the next two weekends. I'm lucky to have free lodging in VT, though, otherwise the expense of traveling to ski would be out of reach.

Btw, there are some good deals to be had on Liftopia right now; I found a $26 Saturday ticket to Plattekill for January and a $17 Wildcat ticket for March. Both are nearby to mountains on the MAX pass, so a good excuse to try more new places.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski alone most of the time & like it; lots of freedom and flexibility. Plenty of people to chat with on the lifts, and if not, I listen to music or podcasts. I have a pretty high tolerance for solitude, though.
I got lonely sometimes when I was in Tahoe City by myself for 3 day stretches. I don't mind skiing alone, but I get lonely if I'm alone all day and then go home to an empty house.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, two passes!
Now you have additional incentive to get out there! Good luck!
Your ski lease soumds like a good plan, i just can't afford that here. It is a 2-3 hr each way, i shudder to think of my gas bill! I expect I'll get through a lot of audio books.
2-3 hours is what my drive is if I'm not staying at the ski lease. I've done that drive for day trips for many years, but now that I'm a little older I'm less willing to do it unless conditions are great. And then that's usually when the roads are closed, etc. The plan is to use the passes whether conditions are good or not, once our lease starts. So I should get in at least enough days to make the passes worth. I hope to make it to Whistler sometime!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Haha. And I still want Sambas. Was hoping to get them at a reduced price, but the prices didn;t go down much and there don't seem to be many around.
What about my Black Crows?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always want to go out for a beer but I don't want to go to a bar by myself.

I get that, but agree with @kiki that it gets easy very quickly. I grab a spot at the bar and say hello and something small-talk-ish to the bartender, then strike a sort of balance between browsing on my phone and remaining open to conversation if others want to chat. I like being old in this situation: there's no pick-up-y subtext to anything, and I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about me sitting at the bar alone.

True fact: We have a massive gym/health center at school that is often empty after hours; I like to go in and listen to music and shoot free throws. The Athletic director frowns on people using the gym alone. Here's our standard convo:

AD: "Don't use the gym alone, it's dangerous."
Me: "I live alone. If I die in the gym, at least my cat won't eat me."

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get that, but agree with @kiki that it gets easy very quickly. I grab a spot at the bar and say hello and something small-talk-ish to the bartender, then strike a sort of balance between browsing on my phone and remaining open to conversation if others want to chat. I like being old in this situation: there's no pick-up-y subtext to anything, and I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about me sitting at the bar alone.

True fact: We have a massive gym/health center at school that is often empty after hours; I like to go in and listen to music and shoot free throws. The Athletic director frowns on people using the gym alone. Here's our standard convo:

AD: "Don't use the gym alone, it's dangerous."
Me: "I live alone. If I die in the gym, at least my cat won't eat me."

TOO funny!!! Good point on the cat ... I like to hope one of my friends would miss me before the cat gets that hungry!!

I do ski alone a lot (except for Fridays with the Old Farts at Okemo). I've met a lot of people, including the Ski Diva herself, around the mountain.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After much internal debate, I bought my first Cali4ornia Pass (Mammoth, June, Big Bear, Snow Summit) yesterday right before the price change! :humble:I love reading your thoughts on solo skiing because that's is what the majority of this season is going to be. Never really traveled solo before so this season is going to be an adventure!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna