• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where is winter?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Not here, not now.
It was 55 yesterday and the biking trailhead was packed. DH set up his bike trainer on the deck and was riding shirtless. The dirt is starting to show through on the (what was a) 21" base at the bottom. The news is that the mountain is most likely going to shut down this week. The snow report is that its' 48 degrees at the base, and 44 at the summit, sun blazing down.

The worst thing is that trails are too mucky to ride so what is a girl supposed to do?

Attachments

• webcam 1.JPG
    webcam 1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 20

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Not here, not now.
It was 55 yesterday and the biking trailhead was packed. DH set up his bike trainer on the deck and was riding shirtless. The dirt is starting to show through on the (what was a) 21" base at the bottom. The news is that the mountain is most likely going to shut down this week.
It's busy hammering the Northeast.

Christy

Angel Diva
60 in Seattle. I missed 66 yesterday, which blew away the January record. The Crystal webcam shows dirt/grass being exposed. And look how sparse it is in the background.

CRYMB_l.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
I was watching the ski racing yesterday on TV and it was brown across the valley from the race site in Europe. Looks like the NE, and not close enough to us, is getting everything. All I can say as we didn't have much snow for Christmas so look out for Easter!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Answer to thread question: New Jersey, New York, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, Maine. Coastal areas about to get hammered here, inland will just get a decent dump. 2 feet plus expected on Long Island, where they haven't got a clue what to do with it or where to put it.

Christy

Angel Diva
I was watching the ski racing yesterday on TV and it was brown across the valley from the race site in Europe. Looks like the NE, and not close enough to us, is getting everything. All I can say as we didn't have much snow for Christmas so look out for Easter!

Every European ski race I've watched this year (and I've seen all the World Cup ones) have looked like that. Sad.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been in the 60s in Boulder, but skiing at Breck was still great - just not at all fresh. I'm grateful for altitude.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's why I was hellbent to get out of Denver back to New York yesterday! We're going to get FEET of freshies here!!! :smile:

I expect a report! At least in the mini trip report thread.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am happy the other NE divas are going to get all that snow...wish I lived further north so I can go ski in all powder! The storm is just skirting by my area and not giving us much snow. :hurt:

abc

Banned
With the travel ban, it maybe difficult to get anywhere. The mass transit shut down just add to the challenge.

Also, just finishing a one week vacation, it won't sit well with my boss for me to blow off more work day to go skiing.

But I think I'll be safe for some freshie hunting come Saturday (or might push my luck and steal Friday off).

That is, if I don't get pulled away to do XC or BC (some bud is talking about heading over to the Thunderbolt trail)!

What a nice conundrum I have! :yahoo:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weird winter. At least it got colder here, though not sure how long this will last. Most of our snow this season arrived in rather big dumps with very little in between, this plus frequent winds mean that we still have lot of rocks showing off-piste and exits can be tricky. Last week was better and we had some snow - maybe up to a foot in three installments and yesterday it snowed all day with more on the way this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed as this snow is needed.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The west is going to be hurting for water in a dire way if it doesn't start snowing soon and snowing a LOT.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here in Tahoe, I seem to be getting a tan. Visiting Mr P's son and girlfriend who are instructing in Squaw. It's a long way to come 11 hour flight and 4 hr drive for rubbish conditions with 8 hour jet lag....Day one was crowded and pretty unpleasant. Day 2, Monday, we did have the mountain to ourselves, so the mush was not as chopped up and the icy bits had seen some grooming. Off piste-just not on the cards....at all....

Meanwhile in the Alps, the snow is much improved and improving. Dumping at the end of the week, especially in the Mont Blanc area...some predictions say as much as 2 metres. Arrggghhhhhh!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here in Tahoe, I seem to be getting a tan. Visiting Mr P's son and girlfriend who are instructing in Squaw. It's a long way to come 11 hour flight and 4 hr drive for rubbish conditions with 8 hour jet lag....Day one was crowded and pretty unpleasant. Day 2, Monday, we did have the mountain to ourselves, so the mush was not as chopped up and the icy bits had seen some grooming. Off piste-just not on the cards....at all....

Meanwhile in the Alps, the snow is much improved and improving. Dumping at the end of the week, especially in the Mont Blanc area...some predictions say as much as 2 metres. Arrggghhhhhh!
Tahoe has been having a tough time with snowfall the last couple of years. I do hope that trend reverses itself.

Christy

Angel Diva
The west is going to be hurting for water in a dire way if it doesn't start snowing soon and snowing a LOT.

That's the scary part. I complain about the skiing but we really rely on a big snowpack here--that's where we get our water, our power, our salmon...not to mention a low snowpack is terrible for fire season. Our resident orca whales eat almost nothing but king salmon, so we are worried for them too.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was over 70 F in Denver yesterday, and somewhere in the 50s in the mountains I think. We were at Copper - the snow was still reasonably decent but it felt like late March, not January. I ditched my fleece and was skiing just in my shell over a base layer. I hope the temps drop soon. :-( And I'll second the concerns about water and fire later on if this warm dry weather continues in the west. It's Not Good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing