• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's for dinner on Thanksgiving?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious what everyone eats for Thanksgiving. I need some new side dish ideas. Ideally that can be made the day before so I can ski on the day of.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have a really yummy sweet potatoe casserole that is a far cry from marshmallows. I'll post it when I can get to my recipe book. You could definitely make it the day before and cook it day of.

also, roasted brussels are delicious and very, very easy!!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This went over so well last year! You don't have to make it ahead, you can just throw it together and bake.

Swiss Vegetable Medley
32 oz. of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix (bags of loosely frozen)
2 cans of condensed mushroom soup
2 cups (8 oz) of shredded swiss cheese, divided
2/3 cup sour cream
2 - 2.8 oz cans of french fried onions

Combine the thawed veggies, soup, sour cream, half of the cheese and half of the onions. Spread evenly in an oven-to-table casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 350F for 30 minutes. Spread the remaining cheese and onions on top, return to the oven and bake until heated through. (about 5 minutes more) 12 servings

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep 'em coming, please .. I am hosting my first ever Thanksgiving event this year. My parents plus four friends plus us. The only thing I know for sure is that there will be lots and lots and lots of mashed potatoes.

Christy

Angel Diva
Have you tried it? How strong is the alcohol flavor?
Yes, it's been a family staple for years (I've actually gotten a little tired of it since we've been having it for 25 years but my family still asks me to make it). It's pretty rum-y! It doesn't cook out. But of course you could cut back on it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Similar idea, but this recipe is my go-to for cranberry sauce.

And while not traditional thanksgiving fare, you could make your own tradition. My husband and I have traditional Christmas day Chili because we ski on Christmas day.

DH and I have a tradition of Vail powder for Christmas, weather permitting ;-)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is a super easy cranberry orange bread recipe that I make every Thanksgiving. It's really good, everyone loves it, and you can make it ahead and freeze it, if you like:

Cranberry Orange Bread

1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 tsp orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
2 T melted shortening
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1-1/2 cup raw cranberries, halved
1 cup golden raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat egg and sugar. Add orange peel, orange juice, and melted shortening.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to egg-sugar mixture.
3. Stir in nuts, cranberries, and raisins.
4. Pour in greased and floured 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. Bake for one hour.
5. Invert at once (do not allow to cool). Wrap securely in aluminum foil and refrigerate 24 hours before serving. May freeze.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, did you know that the forum did a cookbook in 2008? It's a collection of recipes from members of TheSkiDiva.com, and it has a lot of terrific recipes. You can get it on lulu.com. Go here.

Cookbook.jpg

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I got this from a friend. It has become a new standard for us.

This makes 6-8 servings. For Thanksgiving, a 9x13 pan, double all amounts.

It's a really delicious alternative to marshmallows and so on.

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter room temp
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups canned yams, drained.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions
Preheat move to 350
Melt first stick of butter in microwave on low. Set aside to cool for a few minutes so its not really hot. After its cooled some, mix canned yams, melted butter, milk, vanilla, salt and eggs really well. You can add some spices if you want: 1 tsp cinnamon ans 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg).
Pour into a greased 8x8 pan. For a double batch use a 9x13
Make the topping: blend rather butter, flour and sugar with a fork until it's crumbly. Add in the nuts. Sprinkle over the yams and then bake them uncovered. -45 minutes.
(sugar and butter can be adjusted down to no adverse effect I would use less sugar in the base and topping next time, I think.)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Here is a stuffing I make, also a big favorite. Can be made ahead

San Francisco style dressing (Sunset magazine)

( about 16 cups, I double for a 22# bird)

1-1.5# loaf sliced sourdough, cubed
1/2 butter
2 onions, finely chopped
2 C thin sliced celery with leaves
1/2# mushrooms, rinsed, thinly sliced
1 red pepper (.5#) 1/4 dice
1 can artichoke hearts diced ( my addition)
1/2C finely chopped Italian parsley
5 green onions, trimmed and thin sliced
1 can (10.5 oz) chicken broth
2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams
1 2.25 can sliced black olives, drained
2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
salt and pepper
2 large eggs

bake bread cubes in 325 oven until dry and firm to touch ( 20 mins or so)

meanwhile, combine butter, onions, celery, pepper, mushrooms and saute until
veggies are limp

Mix cooked veg mixture with parlsey, green onions, clams, & broth, olives
and seasonings, with bread cubes in large pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In another bowl beat eggs and then toss the eggs into the bread mixture.

Bake in 350 oven , covered, until hot. 35- 40 mins, 50-65 if mix was
chilled first.
If you want it crusty, uncover for the last 20 minutes

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am stressing a bit about stuffing; it's DH's favorite thing, and his family's recipe starts specifically with the Pepperidge Farm prepackaged stuff and then adds certain ingredients. The problem is, I'm GF, and our last attempt turned into basically sludge. DH asked if we couldn't do two versions, but I'd rather not because there are two outcomes: 1) people get confused, switch spoons, etc or 2) the gluten free one becomes "Monique's" which may be because people want to be sure I get some, but always feels like it's because the GF stuff is clearly inferior and gross and so it kind of taints the whole thing. I want to make awesome GF stuffing everyone can enjoy. I think I found the answer to the sludge problem - making sure the GF bread is completely toasted and dry before starting the process. Also I think I used GF breadcrumbs last time; rookie mistake.

This recipe looks very similar to DH's family recipe (it has sausage), so I think I'm going to go with this or something similar. Does anyone else have suggestions? https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/gluten-free-tuesday-thanksgiving-stuffing.html

I've also bookmarked two "recipes" for GF gravy, which really are just gravy recipes suggesting corn starch or something else. I think rice flour sounds good; corn starch doesn't do well on reheating.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to mention - I know it's not my job to make sure DH gets the stuffing he wants. In fact, I've asked him to do it, but then I've also asked him to do it GF, which doesn't thrill him.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Thug Kitchen might have some ideas on their website. I seem to recall them posting a whole bunch of vegan type stuffing recipes last year that looked really tasty.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thug Kitchen might have some ideas on their website. I seem to recall them posting a whole bunch of vegan type stuffing recipes last year that looked really tasty.

Thanks! I actually just bought the Thug Kitchen book ... I have now filled up the lower drawer of my nightstand with books I haven't finished, because my podcasts (including lots of fiction) and my monthly short fiction periodicals are keeping me too busy ... oh what a rough life ...

altagirl

Staff member
I usually make two stuffings, and honestly, the gluten free one is tastier. My issue is that DH wants his like... soupy. He prefers it cooked in the turkey, which I won't do for safety reasons. And I think the best part of the stuffing is the crispy part on top, and I don't think anyone but him wants mushy wet stuffing, so he is out of luck.

But I do multiple recipes. Some with sausage and apple and walnuts. Some with sautéed portobellos, celery, onion, spicy sausage... I never quite make it the same though. It's a lot of whatever sounds good at the moment.

Jilly

Staff member
I remember many years ago my mother decided to go gourmet for Thanksgiving and do up a new stuffing....mushrooms, probably chestnuts what ever...My father had a bird!! Turkey dressing is scared in our household, so no gourmet stuff...bread, onions, butter, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sage and a pinch of ginger....So it could be made with gluten free bread....as long as you don't have a big bird....$$

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Despite the name "stuffing," I am not going to stuff the turkey. DH is a germophobe about food. I can't tell you how many times I thought something was plenty cooked through, but he insisted on microwaving it to completion. Anyway, as he says, there's room for a lot more stuffing if you bake it in its own pan!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna