• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What Would You Change About The Ski Industry?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's interesting that no one has commented yet on the gear side of things. That's as much as part of the ski industry as the resort side. I agree -- high ticket prices, low pay for instructors and patrollers are indeed a problem. But what about gear? What would you change in that? For example, there seems to be a disconnect (by some ski manufacturers) on making longer women's skis. Or in some apparel makers in producing ski pants in shorter lengths or jackets in larger sizes or with as many pockets as men's (a pet peeve of mine). And on the retail side, better training is needed in shops to 1) treat women as valid customers who aren't just interested in a ski's graphics, but how it's actually made and the way it skis, and 2) are more knowledgeable about women's gear.

Ditto for sure on pockets! Never enough and in the right places, like inside, in women's jackets.

mustski

Angel Diva
Ditto for sure on pockets! Never enough and in the right places, like inside, in women's jackets.

Agreed. My OR jackets are great - pass pocket on front, mini pocket inside which I love for spare contact lenses and eye drops. Large inside "goggle pocket" on both sides, and they are all comfortable with something inside them! My Columbia soft shell? UGH! There isn't even a pass pocket at the top and no inside pockets! Oh well, I have a hubby and he has pockets so he gets to carry my crap!

newboots

Angel Diva
I bought a last-season TNF Steep Series Brigandine jacket at Marshall's. Pockets are wonderful. Pass pocket, interior zipper pocket for my phone, side pockets (3, actually) and a chest pocket, all zippered. Looking at my options for spring skiing I immediately noticed that my pocket plan was wrecked! Everything has its place. . .

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pockets are tough. Not all jackets in ski shops are "ski" jackets; they are designed for different purposes, including (quite often) usage with a backpack. In that case, you only get a couple of pockets, and they are placed so that they don't interfere with the hip belt. That TNF Steep Series jacket is definitely a "ski" jacket, and pockets reflect it. A soft shell? That probably isn't specifically for skiing, hence the lack of pockets. Not that you can't use it for that, but features won't be right. Ski touring jackets, same thing. You will be using a pack, and you want light weight on the jacket, so pockets will be meager.

That said, I do agree, pockets are so important. I prefer them on my legs, now. Cargo pockets are almost a necessity. I do have some pants without, but only because they cost me $75 or so.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. My OR jackets are great - pass pocket on front, mini pocket inside which I love for spare contact lenses and eye drops. Large inside "goggle pocket" on both sides, and they are all comfortable with something inside them! My Columbia soft shell? UGH! There isn't even a pass pocket at the top and no inside pockets! Oh well, I have a hubby and he has pockets so he gets to carry my crap!

My HH softshell has the most pockets and vents underarm and across the shoulders ...... but it MIGHT be a man's jacket. I've had it for at least 10 years and don't even remember where I got it! The others I have ... less than I'd like.

My foul weather gear for sailboat racing seems to have as many pockets as the mens ... the shorts not so much. Go figure?!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because women always carry a purse...even when sailing?
:bounce:LOL! No apparently we aren't carrying a rigging knife (I do), an extra sail tie and god knows what else. Wallet, for sure. Not all women's shorts have a back pocket. I like the shorts with a snap, zipper or velcro for the back pocket (if there is one) for .... my wallet! After a day in the sun and saltwater, I'm less presentable and don't care much except being able to pay for that cold adult beverage!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No. Union pays all instructors of a level the same regardless of expertise. Free market would allow instructors to act as independent contractors and set their own fees. I don't mean to replace resort instructors. However, those who want to start their own business, much like everyone else in the ski industry, should be able to do so.

For example, I found @nopoleskier to be an excellent communicator and would enjoy a week of instruction with her. I should be able to negotiate a price for instruction at the mountain of my choice. Since I live in CA, she should be able to negotiate lodging, flight, instruction, etc.

We should be able to hold diva west and fly in the instructor of our choice for a clinic.

thanks @mustski I WOULD LOVE THAT!!

I'll be at Mammoth next Diva West so we will have time to ski together again :-) and you know me and my ms congeniality I'll be happy to pass along ski tips to make anyone's skiing better!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gear: I love the way ski technology has evolved. Having learned to ski literally on boards (I still have them will have to photo and post for a LOL) and racing on 210cm Kneissl white stars. my first Great skis Rossi 4G's were 190's FIrst Shaped Rossi Peekaboos 185cm. Here's a Yeah for today's skis- mine all 159-168cm and they perform SO well even if I have a quiver instead of one ski to tackle all kinds of conditions- that was unheard of 20yrs ago! more than one pair you were just RICH. Prices for skis have come down too. I like the Women specific skis but I don't care about graphics and to me it is annoying to have 'girly' type top sheets. Fortunately I have ski shops that know how I ski so shopping is easy but I feel for ladies that go to shops and get put on gear that is totally wrong for them. Boots have come light years from what they were, now comfy and warm.

Clothes. I want a buttons on the top of my hood and on my helmet to keep my hood from flying off when skiing. I don't want to have cinch my hood down so tight! Yes to better pocket placement. My Karbon coat does have a nifty sleeve pocket for my pass.. I love the wool products and am ditching polypro..

Pay & Employees. I second better pay for ski patrol and instructors and lifties too. Maybe because it's usually part time work for most so Ski area's don't have to provide health benefits, pensions and I guess they figure the free skiing employees get is a perk when season passes exceed 500+$$. Having run a ski area usually the day off is laundry, bank, grocery etc so not much "free' skiing in reality. Only 'free' skiing I got was on my lunch break..

Cheaper passes.. it's happening w/the MCP pass and Max Pass but daily ticket prices are insane. Having family day passes would be great. My home Mt. does family season passes really low prices and also college passes. But if you don't know about liftopia, mcp, max and other discounts skiing becomes an elite rich sport.

alicie

Angel Diva
Detachable hood. It's very difficult finding a jacket that has a detachable hood.
Ski pass pocket on the left arm. Not every jacket has it and it's a bit awkward trying to get the right height for the pass to reach the machine. Half the time it would be easier to go back 10 years or so when they were extendable things, at least then you could get the machine.
Longer jackets. Most jackets are much too short.

I'd like to see more ski patrollers like for speed and people doing stupid things. There is often too many people going to too fast (whether relatively in control or not) on runs that there are plenty of intermediates or beginners on.
I would also banish t bars

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the gear end of things - jackets.....they don't make em like they used to.....that's why I still am in a 14 year old Marmot as
one of my go to's....have looked and looked - the combo of fit and features not even close. And if it says helmet compatible, why can't I get it over mine without hunching my shoulders on most jackets - I know I have a long neck, but I am not alone in this issue.

Skis - hate that the ski can change a lot, but the name remains the same - it would be nice if they had to have a version # appended to the name - as in Aura.1, Aura.2 etc - they do the topsheets anyway.....why not throw that in when there is a change in construction to avoid buying the wrong version (not the one you loved when you demoed it.....). I understand that it supposedly serves the same purpose/slot in the line-up, but very confusing.. (not from personal experience, BTW, as I am careful to check :smile:)

'

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I would put Austria's heated and covered chairlifts in all truly cold locations. Not so necessary in the Pyrenees, but in the US Northeast...:smile:

and in the Canadian Rockies!!! I would love this.

Gear: As I've mentioned in other posts, having really technical gear in plus sizes would be amazing. I would love a technical gore tex shell with appropriate pockets and a nice helmet hood (I like the suggestion @nopoleskier recommended about helmets and hoods attaching to each other!) that is tailored to my body and not a cubical nightmare, in a size 16 or 18! Same with bib pants. I love my current bibpants, but they only have one pocket, and it's on the bib part, so I can't access it while I'm skiing.

Retail: I have yet to work with a woman and my favourite retail shop, Ski West. I'm lucky that the guys there are pretty good, and I've never felt any issues with being a woman. I've been going there for years, and I've never felt talked down to or underestimated in terms of my ski wants and skills. They've never tried to sell me skis shorter than what I need, or disagreed with me about these things, so overall, it has always been a good experience. However, I have had issues in clothing stores, and have actually had some miserable experiences with male sales people making associations between my size and activity level/ability, and so that was really devastating. I'm not sure having a female retail person would necessarily help with that, but it hasn't happened to me with women before.

Cheaper season passes: I still think season passes are pretty expensive in Alberta compared to season pass prices in the U.S. - especially the season passes that combine multiple resorts - they're about $2000. I wish multiple resorts could combine on one pass for a more reasonable price. I think generally it is harder here because, at least in Alberta and Interior BC, there aren't a lot of companies that own multiple resorts (except for RCR), but it would be nice to be able to access multiple resorts on one pass.

newboots

Angel Diva
Retailers are fools not to train their staff to avoid this at all costs. If only we were all shaped like Lindsay Vonn? Really? That's not the real world, nor is it the ideal world. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, and ages. We ski. And we pay actual money for our gear and clothes.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I'd really really really like retailers, especially ski shops; demo centres, ski schools, etc to treat tourists / transient skiers / foreigners (whatever you like to call us) as humans rather than walking cash dispensers who don't know what they are talking about and don't care about what they are buying or the level of service they get. On the positive side lack of service / being taken seriously (cursory boot fitting, who knows who works on your skis, demos that can't be found etc etc) means that you hone your technique.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However, I have had issues in clothing stores, and have actually had some miserable experiences with male sales people making associations between my size and activity level/ability, and so that was really devastating.

I'm always sensitive to this, but so far I've never had the issue in a store. In fact, just the other day I was in a The North Face store populated entirely with males, and they were 100% helpful - I was looking for insulated bibs. TNF doesn't have any, but they had suggestions (none of which panned out) for OTHER BRANDS I could try. That's been my experience every time I walk into this The North Face store - they must have excellent training. In some ways, I think (some) women are more judgmental than (some) men this way. I don't think I've ever had a man make obvious assumptions about my interests based on my size. They're just stoked to see a woman getting after it.

Speaking of which - wtf with the lack of insulated bibs? I have found *no* technical insulated bibs for skiing. Divas Outerwear has them, but you can't pee in them without taking off your jacket. I would like to understand. Bibs are more comfortable at the waist, keep snow out, and keep your core warmer. Would it not make perfect sense to make some of those with insulation, too? @SnowHot any insight into why such a product doesn't exist?

mustski

Angel Diva
Retailers are fools not to train their staff to avoid this at all costs. If only we were all shaped like Lindsay Vonn? Really? That's not the real world, nor is it the ideal world. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, and ages. We ski. And we pay actual money for our gear and clothes.
Particularly since women spend far more money on soft goods than men. In fairness, when I hit a store and am shopping for either DH or DS the sales folks (men included) direct at least 50% if the discussion in my direction. It might because my men try on but otherwise defer to me for questions. Either way, women have multiple jackets AND they shop for the kids!

Bring back powder suits.
With a trap door!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna