• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What gear made ski life easier this year and/or which was useless?

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
From roughly T-giving until Memorial Day (or as late as possible) DH, DS (13) and I ski every weekend, long weekends whenever possible, and two weeks at Christmas and Spring break and with most of those days on the road, we need to be efficient. I am hoping to hear about gear you use to save money, take care of your equipment, or just generally make life easier, even a little and likewise what has failed to help as much as you'd hoped.

For me, the failure this year was the SkiTrax things that slide onto your boots to grip and protect the soles of your boots while you are walking. They fit fine but after you take them off they are pretty unwieldy and I can't stand them in my pockets. If I have a locker, I'm changing into my boots there anyway so wouldn't need them and the other option is just to shove them somewhere and hope nobody takes them. For me they were just more of pain than they were worth. Fortunately my boots have replaceable and very grippy soles so it's not a big deal. But I hate wasting money.

The winner, well winning combination, this year was my new pink "air jordan" helmet and wireless bluetooth speakers that drop right into the ear pockets on the helmet. The Solomon Icon Custom Air helmet is awesome- it is really light, has adjustable venting, audio ready, and has a feature that allows you to pump/drain air into the liner while it's on your head for a custom fit. My new Outdoor Tech CHIPS wireless helmet audio speakers fit into the ear pockets perfectly and connect wirelessly to my phone so listening to pandora on my phone is a cinch. I can pause just by tapping the right ear of my helmet, no need to take out my phone, and all of the controls are as simple as tapping my left or right ear. I can answer the phone the same way - I actually took a call from work on the chairlift and they had no idea I was even outdoors. Maaaybee I was playing hookey. Somehow magically the sound transmits from your mouth to the mic in the ears of your helmet and the people on the other end say the sound is great. I don't know how, but it's great. I have gone three days between speaker charges with no problem, but I usually try to charge it after each day of use. Not wrangling with a cord is part of its greatness but the speakers do come with a cord if you want to listen to some non-bluetooth musical device like an MP3 player which I still use at resorts without cell service. I'm really happy with the setup so I might sound a little like a salesperson but I have no stake in either product.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Major winner: Astis mittens. I get several comments every ski day. They are far warmer and more windproof than my Hestra Heli Mitts. So far I have never wanted chemical warmers when I wore the Astis mitts. This season has been warm with high winds - will be interesting to see how they fare on a legit cold day.

Major winner: Burton touchscreen liner. Super thin, lasted all season (only recently developed holes, despite me grabbing my skis wearing just the liners), work with my phone, hands were always dry.

Major winner: Arcteryx Sentinel jacket. Almost perfect. Would be perfect if the interior pocket weren't so tiny. When I zip up the jacket all the way, it perfectly covers my nose and cheeks.

cheerrabbit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still want the Astis mittens--good to hear they work well.

I bought Free the Powder mittens for me and my son when they first went on sale. Love them!!! We went through so many hand warmers until I picked these up. I got to test them from the teens-thirties and so far have been happy. We bought 3 bags of hand warmers at the beginning of season in November, and still have an unopened bag and a few sets left over.
https://www.freethepowder.com/products/mittens

I also loved my Boot Gloves but find that they aren't that well made overall. The neoprene has runs in it, I find that it cuts easily, and the velcro snapped off of one (I could make it work because the velcro is really strong, but still frustrating). But they work well and my toes didn't get cold.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
those mittens are super cute! Do you have the short or long cuff?

Long cuff. These are the ones I got:

Astis_Warm_Leather_Mittens_Boone_01_large.jpg

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Winners:
My DH and I have used the Uclear HBC220 Force Bluetooth helmet thingies for a couple years now. They are awesome. Bluetooth to phone for phone calls and music, and they are also helmet to helmet comms that we use for exploring new mountains and new lines. I use to send DH over the cliffs or into the trees first, so he could talk me through what's there and best lines. We don't use that comm feature as much anymore, since I just ski whatever these days.
https://www.uclear-digital.com/products/hbc220-force-snow/

Smith I/OS goggles with the photochromic lens. My favorite goggles ever, so far. I have worn Oakley and Anon in the past. I now have 3 lenses for the I/Os and am thinking about just buying another pair so that I don't have to swap lenses as much. I did put a big gouge in the good lenses, though, probably from tree skiing.

Loser:
My brand new this season TNF Jacket had a wardrobe malfunction with a failed main zipper. It at least has a top and bottom snap and over zipper storm flap that helped me not have to end my powder day prematurely. But the velcro on the storm flap is also shot and coming off of the jacket, so it was a almost not workable. Love the color of the jacket! It's so unusual, that I can't even find a pic on the internet. Apparently low quality construction, however.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, hey, that reminds me - I've only worn them one day so far, but the magnetic Anon WM1 goggles I got are so simple to use that I might actually switch out lenses - and they fit my face really well!

I bought wired headphones for my helmet, but I haven't tried them yet outside of the store. My plan is to just listen to my ipod shuffle at low volume.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Winner: Definitely my Anon WM1 goggles! Love to pieces. I got the Purps goggle and added the Pink SQ lens to the swapping party. Couldn't be more pleased.

Winner: Patagonia Nano Air jacket. This may be warmer than my 800 fill TNF Thunder Micro (which is currently off getting a hole repaired) and bonus, has super long sleeves. Yippee!

Winner: Both the Patagonia Rubicon insulated pant, and Arcteryx Sentinel shell pants. Both are roomy without being bulky, super comfy, and have all the bells and whistles I need. Loved them both.

Failure: keeping my hands warm....I have Hestra Heli and Black Diamond Mercury, and while they are both good, even with hand warmers I barely made it through.

Failure: keeping my toes warm. I think boot heaters will be on my Christmas list

abc

Banned
For me, the failure this year was the SkiTrax things that slide onto your boots to grip and protect the soles of your boots while you are walking. They fit fine but after you take them off they are pretty unwieldy and I can't stand them in my pockets. If I have a locker, I'm changing into my boots there anyway so wouldn't need them and the other option is just to shove them somewhere and hope nobody takes them. For me they were just more of pain than they were worth. Fortunately my boots have replaceable and very grippy soles so it's not a big deal. But I hate wasting money.
Hehe... one person's trash is another's treasure...:smile:

I love them SkiTrax thingy! I just put them in the outside pocket of my hydration pack once I finished the walking part.

(I've also tried the leaving them atop my boot, with reasonable success too. Except I only need the SkiTrax when I'm skiing in bigger moutains where I typically also wear my hydration pack anyway)

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Made Ski Life Better:
-POC leather gloves bought at 2nd Tracks Sports in Ogden + the Free the Powder Leather Treatment & Water-Proofer = excellent & comfortable gloves for warm ski temps, very pleased
-Hot Gear bag dual-purposed for my boots and BF's boots--fewer curses and growls from BF putting boots on.

Useless:
-SkiTrax that stayed home when I should've used them, but that's not their fault.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
For next year I'm thinking about buying a crock pot that has a car charger plug, mainly to use for the very early morning hours-long drives and evening returns since it seems like it would drain the battery, possibly too low, if used while the car is sitting at the resort. Has anyone used one of these?

Also, a few of you mentioned boot warmers and a heated boot bag. Is there a reason you prefer one over the other? Are boot warmers better for colder temps? Is the heated bootbag more versatile? Do you use one with a car charger?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the heated bag on a recommendation, and have been pretty happy with it. I keep my ski stuff in it: gloves, mittens, googles in the pockets, helmet, a few base layers in with the boots. It simplifies that part of packing for a ski trip. Re: airplane travelling, I managed to carry it on one time, but it is bulky. Last time I checked it but I was on SouthWest--non-stop flight & no charge as part of their policy.

I've never used boot warmers. If my heated bag were to break, I might go that route. They're so portable. Warm boots are SO nice.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I dunno, but I think that however warm my boots were to start out, after an hour in minus 20 C temps (which we had lots of this winter), whatever heat there was in the boots to start with would have worn off! Hence my love for the boot heaters. I found they didn't really make my feet "warm" as much as keep them from being cold. In other words, my feet were comfortable.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They do two different things. The boot heaters don't really "heat" your feet - when used correctly, they don't feel warm, just neutral. They just offset the cold. I assume heater boot bags actually feel warm to the touch.

Boot bag heaters could then, for example, make it easier to flex the plastic of the boot to get into them. Boot heaters won't do that.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot heaters and heated bags serve different purposes. I have both. I bought the heated bag after foot surgery where my big toe was fused (ie, doesn't bend) in order to make it easier to get my boots on. It helped, but my particular shells go on pretty easily anyway. I stopped using the bag because of that, but then I bought zipfit liners. Now I am using it again. Zipfits really conform to your foot better when they are warm; I find a noticeable difference between the times I put the boot on warm and room temp. I almost always get a little bit of pain early in the ski day, until the liners have re-fit me, unless I use the heat first.

Heaters are there to keep your toes from turning into completely frozen blocks during the ski day. My feet have gotten so bad that I have to use them pretty much every day I ski, except maybe summer.

Jilly

Staff member
I can tell you that if you somehow get the boot heaters on 3 instead of 1, your foot is pretty warm......like burnin! Could not live without them now! But usually only on 1.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can tell you that if you somehow get the boot heaters on 3 instead of 1, your foot is pretty warm......like burnin! Could not live without them now! But usually only on 1.

If it's warm out, 3 will get to me, sometimes 2. But usually what happens is my skin feels like it's burning on the ball, but the inside of the foot (and my toes) are still frozen. I just have a bunch of tissue that is quite, uh, compromised.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best: Where shall I begin?
  • Heated boot bags
  • Boot heaters
  • Technical materials like Dermizax(that allow fabric to be water proof, wind proof and breathable while it is still stretchy).

Worst:
  • Cat Traks or ski traxx. I'd rather get replaceable soles on my boots and change them once or twice a year.
  • Zeal Video Goggles. I know people who like them and I'm sure they are fine, but they are too heavy for my face, fall down on my nose, and struggle to fit in the space of my helmet(s) (yes I tried them with several different helmets)
  • The Level Rocker Glove. Really? Because you can't do this \m/, with a regular glove?
    900x900px-LL-3f738762_GaperTongue.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna