• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I recently learned to plant my pole as a flick of the wrist. That keeps my hands in front AND stable at all times. I learned it during a lesson in Whistler at the end of last season, so I'm looking forward to perfecting that! I take a lesson in Whistler every year, which I feel really improves my skiing.

I'm an advanced skier, looking forward to trying out my brand new 2018 Volkl Yumis later this month!

Can you recommend any good videos demonstrating that pole plant action? That sounds like something I need to work on!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really have any specific skill goals. I think, realistically, any changes I'm going to see from year-to-year at this point with only 20 skis days give or take is going to be pretty minimal from one year to the next. Hopefully, my race clinic helps me continue to improve my skiing overall and my angulation specifically. Also hoping my bump skiing improves a smidge too. Need a new trail to shoot for too, as I finally skied Outer Limits last year (both groomed and ungroomed).

Also, want to try snowboarding again this year, but with wrist guards and in a terrain based learning environment. I don't like admitting defeat. :smile:

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Tuesday was a bit tougher...I forgot about one of my goals this year, which is to stop freezing up when the hill is crowded!

I spent the day skiing with my expert skier uncle...we worked on pole planting, and I am still banking my turns a bit...he took me up to the top, where the racers had been that morning...and it was icy, windy, narrow and the human darts were coming down in rapid succession...and I froze...couldn't move, couldn't turn...I slide slipped down that section and of course, felt disappointed and embarrassed as heck!

You know that feeling you get that you'll never progress...

In the lodge, my kind uncle bought me a bloody Mary and told me I am so close to the advanced level...I have the basics in place, just need to work on a couple of things and my confidence! So, next week, off to Winter Park to practice what I learned last week...

After 3 days of skiing, knee and boots still felt awesome!!

newboots

Angel Diva
Tuesday was a bit tougher...I forgot about one of my goals this year, which is to stop freezing up when the hill is crowded!

It's hard to "stop" freezing up. Long discussion of this on PugSki this week!

Freezing up in fear is part of our natural alert system (fight, flight, or freeze). Your brain thinks something is very dangerous, and your body reacts, pretty much on its own, without your conscious participation.

You might try side-slipping down a little ways, maybe out of the wind or onto a side trail, and seeing if your central nervous system is ready to ski. Either way, don't be down on yourself about it! It's natural. It developed back in the day when we had to react immediately (before we can think about it) so we didn't get trampled by a mastodon or eaten by a saber-tooth tiger.

kiki

Angel Diva
I had a similar thing today @Powgirl
gale type winds
Driving ice snow
Limited visibility
The snow was all mussed up by early afternoon, heavy and bumpy
Was in a lesson and had a panic attack.
Not good. Fabulous instructors got me calmed down and down the hill.
These days happen.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's hard to "stop" freezing up. Long discussion of this on PugSki this week!

Freezing up in fear is part of our natural alert system (fight, flight, or freeze). Your brain thinks something is very dangerous, and your body reacts, pretty much on its own, without your conscious participation.

You might try side-slipping down a little ways, maybe out of the wind or onto a side trail, and seeing if your central nervous system is ready to ski. Either way, don't be down on yourself about it! It's natural. It developed back in the day when we had to react immediately (before we can think about it) so we didn't get trampled by a mastodon or eaten by a saber-tooth tiger.

Thank you for this!

I did sideslip down a bit, until the run opened up...it's funny how quickly the fear kicks in for me when it's early season and so many folks are flying down the hill...even my experienced uncle felt the speed and crowdedness was dangerous...but, if I am going to ski early season, with limited terrain open, I need to get over the fear of 'human darts'!

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a similar thing today @Powgirl
gale type winds
Driving ice snow
Limited visibility
The snow was all mussed up by early afternoon, heavy and bumpy
Was in a lesson and had a panic attack.
Not good. Fabulous instructors got me calmed down and down the hill.
These days happen.

So glad you were with good instructors to guide you down...I hate having that panic skiing alone, which happened to me last year.

Better days ahead!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
OP's goals are similar to mine -!
1. i'm particularly interested in learning to ski moguls with confidence and with adequate speed this season
2. confidence on double blacks. not necessarily speed, but good judgment with ability to take things at a good speed.

Snobuny802

Diva in Training
Take as many lessons as possible...I feel as though I’m on the verge of being the skier I want to be, but need to get “out of my head”. I ADORE woods skiing but can freeze in a tight spot- I am determined that this year will be the beginning of enjoying continuous flow through the trees. I enjoy bumps but am not quick, and would love to be able to carve a nice turn anywhere.

kiki

Angel Diva
Take as many lessons as possible...I feel as though I’m on the verge of being the skier I want to be, but need to get “out of my head”. I ADORE woods skiing but can freeze in a tight spot- I am determined that this year will be the beginning of enjoying continuous flow through the trees. I enjoy bumps but am not quick, and would love to be able to carve a nice turn anywhere.
Will you take private or group lessons or camps?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Welcome! the head game is the toughest!! Bill Koch US Olympian used to say "it's 1% perspiration and 99% concentration"

TracyMcP

Certified Ski Diva
Have more fun skiing bumps and off piste. Graduate to some steeper terrain.
Stay healthy and enjoy!!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goals for this year:

Get rid of the annoying abstem that has developed since I stopped teaching amd racing seriously.
Ski more steeps and glades.
Finally get my AT gear off the groomed runs.
Work on skate skiing until I finally "get it" (it might be time to actually PAY for a lesson rather than just hit up the weekly free one).
And finally:
Get BOTH telemark skis on AND remain upright for at least 30 seconds (baby steps on this one given my experience last year! :rotf:)

Oh, and I plan to keep both my knees intact this year!! This - :injured: - NO!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i skiied up the wall and floated back down, similar to what i imagine falling leaf is like - this was to get used to features such as chutes in which there isn't much room to turn. and apparently helps in moguls as well.

i did my first few mogul runs. in snowy or powdery moguls, it's totally fine and i'm feeling confident now. but when it's ice, not so much. it's quite daunting still. i was able to make several turns though and i was pretty psyched to have done those well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly